Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Buffer/CC class?

WesWayland
12.16.2011 , 10:58 AM | #1
Thus far i've only seen that all Classes fall into the 3 main types of MMO characters, tank/healer/dps. I have not seen anything about a class that does buffing/debuffing and crowd control. Please let me know if you've seen anything like this, as I miss the days of being an enchanter in Eq.
We must first combat the darkness within before we can combat the darkness outside

Caelrie
12.16.2011 , 12:02 PM | #2
There isn't one.

junkfunk
12.16.2011 , 12:40 PM | #3
The closest thing to CC would probably be a PvP-specced Jedi Sage.

As far as support, most classes have a few support skills, but if you really want to have fun while doing it, I recommend a Watchman-specced Jedi Sentinel. They gain a buff called centering (IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong) while fighting, which they can cash out at certain points to provide buffs for either themselves or group members, i.e. group movement speed buff, group heal, damage buff to group for a certain amount of time.

I'm not too familiar with the class so don't quote me on any of that, as it's very generalized.
Nasty - 50 Gunslinger | Ryane - 42 Guardian
Legends - Warriors of the Shadow (PvP West Coast)
Quote: Originally Posted by McVade View Post
Every time I get force charged/rooted/knocked off the bridge in Voidstar, I want to tear off my shirt, grab my supple manboobs and shriek.

curzen
12.16.2011 , 01:59 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by WesWayland View Post
Thus far i've only seen that all Classes fall into the 3 main types of MMO characters, tank/healer/dps. I have not seen anything about a class that does buffing/debuffing and crowd control. Please let me know if you've seen anything like this, as I miss the days of being an enchanter in Eq.
out of curiosity due to never having played EQ, what do you do all day as Buffer/CC? I mean, how does that integrate into combat. Would other classes not have any or just few loooong cooldown CC and buff abilities to make the buff/CC class meaningful?

WesWayland
12.16.2011 , 03:09 PM | #5
The class would consist of all spells that stun/hold enemies for situations when there isn't really a way to pull 1 mob or wanderers happen to walk through while still fighting the first. The other side job is that they would cast spells on allies that would increase attack speeds/damage for DPS, mana/energy regens/boosts for healers/mages, and increase mitigation/toughness and aggro for tanks. They usually also cast spells that debuff enemies so that the DPS can kill quicker.

I guess i liked the class because it is a hugely different way to play mmo's and contribute to the group/raid with just casting the nuke spell, or the big heal.
We must first combat the darkness within before we can combat the darkness outside

WesWayland
12.16.2011 , 03:13 PM | #6
Sorry, i don't think i really answered the CC question. It used to be easy to get adds that would quickly switch targets to killing healers or non-tank members if they weren't "stunned". I think most of them had a 30-45 second cooldown for a single and about a 2 min for a group/AOE.

Leiloni
12.16.2011 , 04:51 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by curzen View Post
out of curiosity due to never having played EQ, what do you do all day as Buffer/CC? I mean, how does that integrate into combat. Would other classes not have any or just few loooong cooldown CC and buff abilities to make the buff/CC class meaningful?
I never played EQ but I did play a Chanter in Aion and it was the buffer/back up heals class (no CC though). It had some melee dps moves that all applied debuffs on the target and some nice backup heals but the best buffs in the game. No other class really had group wide buffs, only self buffs. So you had to bring the Chanter for all that stuff - they basically pulled the group together and supported them with whatever offensive/defensive buff or heal the group needed in any given situation. The Chanter had HP/defense long term buffs, short term defensive and offensive buffs, group shields, mantras you switched on and forget about for different stat increases. A Chanter could add literally 7 constant buffs to the group (two had to be maintained every 15 seconds though), and had a few other life saving cooldown buffs/shields and some heals. So they had a lot of stuff.

So you'd manage buffs primarily, help with a heal or two when the main healer needed help, and dps when you weren't doing that. It's definitely a fun role to play, I'm disappointed more games don't have a class like that. Very active class, had to change what you were doing all the time and pay attention to everything to decide what you should be doing. Was a true support class. Much more interesting than spamming dps rotations.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

Invitcted
12.16.2011 , 05:34 PM | #8
Contemporary western mmos have moved away from having support classes by either giving some classes ccs and some classes support spells or giving all classes some cc and some support.

Support classes have been pretty much reviled by western players, wow's dramatic shift away from CC in general and spreading support speels through all the classes hasn't helped this trend (and before anyone quotes me saying SWToR isn't wow, I didn't say it is but denying the most successful mmo ever especially in the west market hasn't influence mmo development is just burying your head in the sand).

SwToR uses the above mentioned model of spreading support and cc through all classes btw.
▔ịị◚◚◚◚◚ịịδ▔ịị7▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

Lokai
12.16.2011 , 09:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by WesWayland View Post
maddness/balance sorc/sage will be your CC based class, but buffs are spread out over many classes, and plenty of classes have CC including smuggler/IA and several others. Assassin/shadow also have alot of CC argueably more in some ways but shorter CC's.

As for buffs is no buffing class, because every class brings a group wide buff to the group, ala WoW style. So in pvp as long as is one of every class should be getting every buff is to offer, stims help here as well.
" Destiny is like a river...washes us along its ever winding path, the jedi follow its path drawn along it like lambs to the slaughter... but We Sith fight the flow of destiny, turn its course to our whim! Through this will we be the true victors of this war!" -Lokai-