Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A ten minute wait to revive? Really?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
A ten minute wait to revive? Really?

livnthedream
03.12.2012 , 10:42 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaalenarc View Post
I dont mind a "death sting" as someone else said above, I just wish it didnt make me waste time I could be enjoying the game. In other MMOs, you get xp debt, or a delay in revivng but to sit there for ten min seems excessive for a group to have to wait. Oh well, its a great game so far and Im enjoying it. Thankfully I dont die that much. I was just wondering if there was an actual gameplay based reason for it - sounds like there isnt.
it to stop people from actively skipping trash with suicide runs.

VanorDM
03.12.2012 , 10:42 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Stupiddrummer View Post
arbitrary punishment is arbitrary.
You died, this isn't a arbitrary punishment by any means. It's the systems way of telling you that you need to rethink what you're doing, because you are in over your head.

SNEAKYSIX
03.12.2012 , 10:44 AM | #23
Try playing a game called Dark Souls or Demon souls to, if you die your respawn at start, you got one chance to return to your body to collect your loot. If you die you loose everything. Really harsh. Thus creating a careful approach
You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?... It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."

Nmaharg
03.12.2012 , 10:46 AM | #24
This game has the most forgiving death system of any MMO ever. I don't see how anyone could complain about it.
7X Valor --- 1000+ Expertise

"Etang" on Juyo and The Fatman

Stupiddrummer
03.12.2012 , 10:47 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
You died, this isn't a arbitrary punishment by any means. It's the systems way of telling you that you need to rethink what you're doing, because you are in over your head.
and pushing the amount of time from 30 secs to 10 mins is the arbitrary punishment.

why do respawn times exist in games? They started in competitive games because you had to pace the time it took for players to respawn. In SWTOR, the time is completely arbitrary.

KangasCollective
03.12.2012 , 10:48 AM | #26
Feels fair to have that mounting revive time. Since it resets if you run from med center, all it's doing is keeping you from death marching through content. Otherwise you could just run to the objective. Revive. Run to next objective die/revive/die/revive... That's not really a rewarding play style. But people WILL do it if they CAN do it. So this helps discourage that behavior and encourage playing your class/companion to your best ability.

Nmaharg
03.12.2012 , 10:49 AM | #27
and pushing the amount of time from 30 secs to 10 mins is the arbitrary punishment.

why do respawn times exist in games? They started in competitive games because you had to pace the time it took for players to respawn. In SWTOR, the time is completely arbitrary.
It goes instant > 30 secs > 2mins > 10 mins. Just stop dying so much so quickly. AKA L2P.
7X Valor --- 1000+ Expertise

"Etang" on Juyo and The Fatman

Apollodorus
03.12.2012 , 10:50 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaalenarc View Post
Hello all - im a relatively new player here so forgive me if this seems a bit off but I am absolutely boggled by the fact that if I die a few times in a given area - I am then presented with a choice of running all the way back from a bind point, or lying on the floor for TEN minutes. In what universe does this equate to fun? the 30 second for the first then two min for the second, ok - i get that - but to have my first full Heroic-4 group have to sit there and wait for ten minutes after a wipe was certainly a disappointment...
Death is Mother Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

A 10 minute wait is SWTOR's way of telling you that you are dying too often in too short a time. Death is supposed to be painful right?

I FAR prefer this system to that used by some games in the past, where you lost XP with every death... Or my personal favorite was Diablo I where people could loot your corpse while you were dead.

Count your blessings my friend.

Ruuprect
03.12.2012 , 10:51 AM | #29

Why die at all then, they should just make us invincible. There has to be some sort of punishment or what fun would it be if you could just respawn where you died everytime with no penalty. This is giving you a few tries on something without having to run back. Once you die they basically make it necessary for you to run back, unless you are the idiot that waits for 10 minutes lol.
Ruprect
Level 50 Sage
Jedi Covenant

Nitrosnwbrdr
03.12.2012 , 10:51 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Nmaharg View Post
It goes instant > 30 secs > 2mins > 10 mins. Just stop dying so much so quickly. AKA L2P.
This... it's not rocket science... and you can rez instantly... not just from where you died last. You can always Med Center, it. Which is always instant.