Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A ten minute wait to revive? Really?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
A ten minute wait to revive? Really?

sjmc
03.12.2012 , 10:35 AM | #11
The best thing to do (if you tend to die repeatedly) is to return to the medical centre whenever it is practical and save the medical droids for when it would be really inconvenient to run back.

As noted above, there are medical centres all over the place and usually not a very far run from wherever you are. You can also unload some of your loot while you are there.

Llaera
03.12.2012 , 10:36 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaalenarc View Post
Even so - thats often quite a run, or ride away - particularly if youre 3/4 of the way through a Heroic -4 zone. So again, Ill ask - what is the reason for such a lengthy downtime? I cant think of a gameplay based reason for one - can you? Ive played a lot of MMOs and Ive never seen that kind of design choice before. Did I miss something?
Uhhh, other MMOs usually just flat out make you run back to your corpse. Hence the term "corpse run." This MMO gives you the choice of either doing that, or reviving at your corpse.

Neither of these scenarios, by the way, even goes into the fact that if there's another player close-by anyone can revive you, unlike other MMOs where you usually have to be a healer to resurrect other people.

Ashu-ri
03.12.2012 , 10:36 AM | #13
If you die enough to get a 10 minute revive timer, you need to go repair your gear anyway. And possibly stock up on stims or med packs. Trust me on that one.

Kaalenarc
03.12.2012 , 10:36 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Bonezmccoy View Post
I'm with the OP - the penalty doesn't seem so bad until you wind up in needing to go through a mob-choked tunnel to get back to the quest area you died in, and it becomes a fifteen minute festival of killing the same mobs you just killed.

It's not a horrible problem, as areas like that are rare - but I've run into a couple of places with large quantities of elite pats, lots of strong stationary mobs, an a long tunnel full of fodder to kill over and over again.
I dont mind a "death sting" as someone else said above, I just wish it didnt make me waste time I could be enjoying the game. In other MMOs, you get xp debt, or a delay in revivng but to sit there for ten min seems excessive for a group to have to wait. Oh well, its a great game so far and Im enjoying it. Thankfully I dont die that much. I was just wondering if there was an actual gameplay based reason for it - sounds like there isnt.

Nitrosnwbrdr
03.12.2012 , 10:37 AM | #15
Im not with the OP, this games death penalty is weak compared to many MMOs out there. You get 3 shots at an area with a semi-decent rez timer. After the 4th you should probably re-evaluate what you are doing or if you should even be in this area.

Ruuprect
03.12.2012 , 10:37 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightmarer View Post
Well, if I am not wrong, if another wipe, the waiting time would have been increased again...
it resets after a certain time without faceplanting though.-
Stop dying so much lol, I did not even know it went that high and I have leveled 2 alts. Also you can go back to the medcenter and run back, pro tip: the run takes much less than 10 minutes, more like 30 seconds to 1 min.
Ruprect
Level 50 Sage
Jedi Covenant

Stupiddrummer
03.12.2012 , 10:38 AM | #17
arbitrary punishment is arbitrary.

Azzras
03.12.2012 , 10:38 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaalenarc View Post
Even so - thats often quite a run, or ride away - particularly if youre 3/4 of the way through a Heroic -4 zone. So again, Ill ask - what is the reason for such a lengthy downtime? I cant think of a gameplay based reason for one - can you? Ive played a lot of MMOs and Ive never seen that kind of design choice before. Did I miss something?
In any other MMO you'd have to run all the way back to your body...and most (if not all) don't really have open world 4mans.

I think the point to it is, get better, don't die.
[ █ █ █ █ █] ( ) Ξ█████████████ The Shadowlands █████████████)

Kourage
03.12.2012 , 10:39 AM | #19
Stop trying to solo 4 man heroics.
You died. You deserve a penalty.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Omaddon
03.12.2012 , 10:41 AM | #20
I guess that the increasing time to be revived at the exact spot of death simply means the time for the "ahem" medical bot to arrive.

One poster once said
Quote:
stop dying so often
and in a small sense, he is right. If you have died enough for the counter to be now at 10 minutes, maybe it is too hard for you now, gear up, level up and try again.

That being said, I also find the delay quite annoying but I understand it from a game mechanic point of view; It would be weird to move as a ghost to your corpse in a SCI-FI setting... Hence the medical bay where you respawn means the bot dragged your unconscious body there for treatment. When you respawn on location, the bot is dispatched. Call it too often, and it need longer between recharges... or something like that.

Quote:
And to clarify, OP, the nearest med center is not necessarily where the bind point is.
Quite true. Flashpoints respawn you at the last med center, or in a defined half way, third way, quarter way point, depending.
Quote:
Where ever you go, there you are!