Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Single Player Raiding Endgame

ferroz
03.12.2012 , 09:22 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by IIII-IIII-IIII View Post
no one buys an MMO because "the auction house".
No, I've known several people over the years who played MMO's because they enjoyed playing the market.

IIII-IIII-IIII
03.12.2012 , 09:24 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
No, I've known several people over the years who played MMO's because they enjoyed playing the market.
I expected a contrarian but this response is dubious. I'll take your word, though.
Operative Iron Citadel
Infiltration, Manipulation, Assassination

Baracca
03.12.2012 , 09:25 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaelano View Post
I'd pay extra for a real multi-player game that didn't cave and cater to people like this. People like you have completely ruined good games. Wish you'd just stick to xbox so we can get some figures on real multiplayer gamer demographics and interest.
I don't know. Seems to me SWTOR is already a single player game. All I do is shout LF healer in general chat (and <shudder> daily quests if i feel up to it.)

I for one, am looking forward to GW where they throw the trinity out the window. You shouldn't be forced into specific type of gameplay.

Baracca
03.12.2012 , 09:34 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by IIII-IIII-IIII View Post
Sifting through the blinding wall of text and various insults to a disagreeing viewpoint, what's your definition of "forced" and satisfying?

If I buy a van, I know I can take the seats out but that doesn't make the van any less smaller or easier when I go to parallel park. It's a van...not a smart car.

There are certain known parameters a consumer must know when making a purchase of any commodity. An MMO has and always will encourage social interaction/grouping. Encouraging isn't forcing it. Also, it's not a requirement for gameplay. Hence, the demographic (however large or small) of soloers that exist in this genre.

Are there rewards, achievements, gear, etc for teaming up that may be unattainable for those who prefer to go it alone? Absolutely. It's an MMO...but does that mean "satisfaction" can't be achieved? It shouldn't. You chose your path of play. No one forced you to go extensively solo...as no one is forcing you to group.

With the companion system, this is the most solo friendly MMO I've ever seen. It baffles me people still have objections to the premise that some things may only be attainable through certain criteria of playing together...again...in an MMO.

If the concept of "you can't have everything in life, Johnny" confuses you, that's not an MMO/Bioware problem...that's a general life problem you weren't properly taught as a child.
Well, they lied with the loot and the companions. They said if a group member leaves, you can just use your companion to fill that slot. YEA good luck. Also they said you won't need to worry about loot due to tokens that drop. Sure. I've been lucky enough to get a healer for 5 hard mode FP runs and only got 1 drop while my friend still has yet to get one. And those tokens are so few in drops, I can't imagine doing another FP since the time invested to reward received is terrible.

So, yea, you're forced to group and the payoff sucks.

Lethality
03.12.2012 , 09:38 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSwamper View Post
There is a huge difference between single player games and MMOs, larger, more persistent world, the auction house, and the option to team with others should you so choose.

I just think it's a bait and switch to allow players to solo the entire game and then require them to group up at the end.

There's no MMO law that says that every one of them has to have endgame raiding as the only possible method of PvE endgame progression. In a game like this one, that has companions, that is doubly true.
You're right, there's definitely a difference between single player games and MMOs.

But what allows those things to work in MMOs is the other players. You need to be a part of that ecosystem for it to work, not just consume the benefits of it.

In terms of design, yes... it is a bait and switch and I don't agree with it. My firm believe, with no hard facts, is that BioWare didn't intend to do this... but something changed in the end-game design somewhere along the way to be more WoW-like. I dunno.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

IIII-IIII-IIII
03.12.2012 , 09:40 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Baracca View Post
So, yea, you're forced to group and the payoff sucks.
No, you're not.
Operative Iron Citadel
Infiltration, Manipulation, Assassination

Saurakk
03.12.2012 , 09:41 AM | #27
I just cannot see a scenario where they can make an encounter to be just as difficult and have as many variables to address for a single player vs a small group of players.

They can make some difficult single player encounters and make them rewarding but encounters that REQUIRE a small force to defeat will always be more difficult to overcome and should by default grant better rewards.

cbowsin
03.12.2012 , 09:44 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashphael View Post
You want single-player?
  • Space-missions.
  • Daily quests.
  • Saved-up companion quests.
  • Levelling Alts.
  • Low-level-dungeons you can solo.

What was your problem again?
As mentioned there already is single player endgame. With stuff available to solo players they can obtain 124-126 rated gear solo, which is first tier level. A solo player may not be able to get higher level gear than that, but why would they? The only stuff higher than that is for group raiding, which solo'ers have no interest in. So what is the problem?
Yoda: I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

Calimwulf
03.12.2012 , 09:53 AM | #29
I have asked for this as well. Rift did it. It makes a lot of sense.
"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

grandmthethird
03.12.2012 , 09:54 AM | #30
the way i see it. is we pay subs or patches. in a single player game like skyrim. we get the game for a one off purchase but the game is never updated. this is the main difference.

ppl might say MMO massivly multiplayer online. mean no to solo content. but MMO does not mean group content only. multiplayer refer's to the fact that many ppl are playing on the server at the same time. the GTN works because of the multi player aspect. there is chatting on the general chat channel that is different from the usual LFG.

the fact is that grouping is cool. and every1 should do it when possible. but it is not always possible. but that shouldn't mean ppl have nothing to do just because they can't group up. one persons sub is just as important as another. and the more ppl you keep happy the more subs the game will have. so if ppl are happy with solo content. then give them it
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"