Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What are some differences between the 'Mirrored' classes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What are some differences between the 'Mirrored' classes

Lijun
03.11.2012 , 01:14 PM | #1
I am noticing some major differences between Sage and Sorceror. And I am wondering what other differences people have noticed between the mirror classes abilities.

After playing Sorc and Sage I have noticed that 2 abilties that are instant cast on Sorc are not instant on Sage. Sorc's Shock is an instant cast ability which does instant damage, while the Sage's Project ability is an instant cast ability which does damage about 1 second later. I noticed this really can hurt a Sage in PvP. And I wonder why the developers would allow it. Instant damage is preferred in most situations, before that heal gets to them, before they can pop shield, or before the target pops stealth and your rock is just floating in the air with no target.

Another ability difference I noticed, and one that effects even more players is the Sith Inquisitor's Overload ability which does instant damage and instantly knocks back all enemies. Now the Jedi Consular version Force Wave tooltip will read the same as Overload but like Project, Force Wave is NOT instant damage nor is it an instant knockback. Force Wave has an animation it needs to motion through before it will do damage or knockback. This animation is easily noticeable and can be countered in many ways by enemies. Obviously if you can see what your opponent is about to do AOE dmg/knocback you can react . Many players are learning how to counter the Consular's AOE knockback, one simple way to counter the Consular's Force Wave is to use your own knockback ability. Pretty simple strategy there, your knockback is instant, their's isnt and if you see the Force Wave animation, just hit your knockback before the Consular's (Shadows and Sages) ability can finish its animation. Sooo many times have I died in PvP while my knockback animation was still in progress and it did nothing to the enemy. It already happened to me twice today, that's what made me come post.

Do you know of any differences between the 'mirror classes'? It's good to know which classes have the advantage.

_gideon
03.11.2012 , 01:19 PM | #2
There is a similar animation delay on the Trooper abilities Mortar Volley and Full Auto compared to their BH mirror.

We are assured that this issue will be addressed in 1.2 (here) and presumably sorcs and sages will be fixed at the same time.

What is not clear is whether the delay will be removed from the Republic or added to the Empire.

lineschmidt
03.11.2012 , 01:20 PM | #3
They have different names

On a serious note, nothing that wasn't already mentioned

Magnijung
03.11.2012 , 01:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Lijun View Post
or before the target pops stealth and your rock is just floating in the air with no target.
Oh i was knocked out of Force Cloak plenty of times with that damn rock.

Lijun
03.11.2012 , 01:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by _gideon View Post
There is a similar animation delay on the Trooper abilities Mortar Volley and Full Auto compared to their BH mirror.

We are assured that this issue will be addressed in 1.2 (here) and presumably sorcs and sages will be fixed at the same time.

What is not clear is whether the delay will be removed from the Republic or added to the Empire.
Thank you for posting this, I am encouraged they mention fixing the animations in a coming patch.

Taken from that thread:

Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
We have a new set of animations in the development pipeline that will even the timing between the class abilities, yes.

As for timing, at the latest these new animations will roll out with the next major content patch, 1.2.

Lets just hope they get the fix right, because launching the game with such huge differences between 'mirror' classes shows a lack of understanding of the genre.

Rahl_Windsong
03.11.2012 , 01:56 PM | #6
Scoundrels guns are alot noisier then the Operatives knives...

Another thing I don't like is the recupe ability of the Inquisitor, Seeth...when you pace back and forth the map fades and I am used to with other classes viewing the map while in recupe...
Captain El'amber Level 48.5 Scoundrel
Cipher Agent El'ember Level 42 Operative
Lord El'zara Level 40 Sorceress