Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star wars needs more military consultants

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Star wars needs more military consultants

TKMaster
03.10.2012 , 10:12 PM | #21
Ah, another day on the forums.

OP types thread with question; question is answered; OP doesnt like answer and starts degrading posters who answered.

Yay internet.

alricka
03.11.2012 , 01:30 AM | #22
The thing that the OP points out is often found in fantasy and sci-fi. Those types of stories almost always revolve around military conflicts, but the writers seldom have any actual military experience so they have to make do with imagination and guesses, and they always try to make it cool first and foremost.

I do agree that in the "Hope" trailer, specifically, the Republic soldiers showed poor tactical thinking and I know nothing of actual real-life military tactics. But it makes sense to use the terrain to your advantage; they could have showered the Sith with grenades, heavy blaster fire and thermo-detonators from above before they could say "Force lightning" instead of just jumping onto the lightsabers.

On the other side, think about what the main target auditory of SWTOR - and video games in general - is. Teenaged boys and young 20-something adults, most of whom never have and never will hear and learn actual tactics. They don't care - they want to watch something cool and that's it.

LVDave
03.11.2012 , 02:15 AM | #23
"Hope" seemed like a last ditch effort to me. The Republic soldiers looked beaten and battered. Their supply chains to Alderaan probably were cut-off by the Sith Empire. They probably resorted to less-than-adequate tactics having run-out of most explosives/ammunition/weapons. Fortunately, the Republic was able to route some of the Jedi forces to back the troopers up on Alderaan. In real life, we fight wars on one planet, so it must be difficult allocating forces on many fronts in different star systems.

MORTTUUM
03.11.2012 , 05:42 AM | #24
I do find it somewhat irritating (and amusing)when I run across "ENSIGN So-and-So" in ground-combat unit, or "GENERAL Schmuck" in a Naval uniform...
I hate violence. I'm just really, really prepared for Peace.

NRieh
03.11.2012 , 06:09 AM | #25
Quote:
ITS NOT REAL! Its not suppose to be like reality.
It's not suppose to be like OUR reality? Possible entirely. But nevertheless, any described ("secondary") universe\world has it's own inner settings, provided both by "lore" and "fanfic". Sometimes those two may have different or even contradictory points. Both are important, the more "lore" people have the less "fic" happens and vice versa.

But that does not change thing, that WITHIN the SWU there ARE laws, orders, rules, science, traditions etc. Who and how depicts and represents those - is another question.

Mechavomit
03.11.2012 , 06:55 AM | #26
All these military guys that come and complain about war stuff being unrealistic - shut up and chill. I'm pretty sure at least one person like you works at BW and knows all the things you know. Even if they didn't have poeple like that I'm sure they would have been able do a research on how the military works. IF they needed to. But they decided that Star Wars doesn't have to be 100% Earth-standard accurate.

Kelfred
03.11.2012 , 07:25 AM | #27
I'm pretty sure that some soldier messing his pants in a trench during an artillery bombardment is not what George Lucas had in mind for teenagers to watch. I'm not a teenager and I cant say that I particualrly want to watch that either.

Plus, lets be honest, I dont want to watch a bunch of soldiers crossing a linear danger area utilizing bounding overwatch. Jeebus. That level of realism isnt necessary.

eartharioch
03.11.2012 , 10:14 AM | #28
Probably irrelevant to most people, but the Cylon Centurions in the original Battlestar Galactica carried some sort of bladed weapon as well as blaster rifles; I think it was even used in one scene. I thought it made them look bad-*ss.

Anyway, the "problem" with Star Wars (the franchise as a whole, not just this game) is that George Lucas wants it kid friendly. So if we want to play Star Wars (and obviously we do), we play with GI Joe cartoon combats.

If you want "realism", the first two things that need to go are "no friendly fire" and walking through people.

Just my CR 0.02.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

DaWaffle
03.11.2012 , 02:19 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsMistress View Post
Hell, the jedi use swords in an age with hugely prevelent firearms and your biggest complaint is they use obsolete tactics????
Do regular swords deflect bullets?

westraz
03.11.2012 , 02:38 PM | #30
you have to understand Jedi and Sith, and Troopers to understand the hole why thing here, Jedi Sith use swords and the force, even if they week force users that 10 time faster then a normal person, and 10 times stronger, now lest say as some one who fights one of them is given just basic training the armed force would give with sword play, who going to win that fight? A: the dude who 10 times faster and stronger or B: the dude who has basic training, come back to me when you get that!
I have bad spelling do to my being learning disabled , the is just so I do not get asked "why are you spelling so bad?" and I don't wont to have to get asked 100 times, and is in NO way meant to hurt any one feelings after all.. IT is about me!