Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Star wars needs more military consultants

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Star wars needs more military consultants

Forgon's Avatar


Forgon
03.10.2012 , 02:02 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ACLucius View Post
I have only seen a handful of examples where true strategy and tactics made for good story telling, and that would be shows/movies where the plot revolves around those, such as Code Geass does. Unless the story revolves around that, usually it will not be good for a movie, let alone a trailer where people want to see action.

Does it make sense? Of course not, but it makes the trailer more exciting. Excitement makes the game more appealing to the majority, not common sense.
That series drops relevant tactics after the 10th episode pretty much.

In all honesty, Star Wars by this era should be only having thousands of 4 man cells running around doing special ops missions in squads if we are going to be technical. It just isn't interesting that way.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

Antipathize's Avatar


Antipathize
03.10.2012 , 02:09 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by lobotaru View Post
... why not dispense with the carbine entirely and work with melee weapons? Plus, it kind of makes sense. We're talking about a universe where jedi can deflect energy blasts to the point of reaching melee combat, so soldiers would still have use for close quarters combat techniques like those used before the advent of gunpowder.
That is kind of funny that you mention it. In a war of Jedi vs sith I think having troops
Trained specifically in sword fighting would be effective. At least long enough to delay a Jedi and give his buddies room to take him down. Personally I would call in orbital strikes/artillery/ strafing run at the worst before I went against a Jedi. Even then, if I wasnt trained in sword fighting I would retreat/use explosives.

Antipathize's Avatar


Antipathize
03.10.2012 , 02:14 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Charell View Post
does the quote "a long time ago..." come to mind. the battle tactics are how it is in this galaxy. its fine the way it is
The moment technology is introduced, methods are developed to try to subert or take advantage of it. You're asking me to suspend disbelief that a galaxy full of aliens can devlop a space station, but not know how to fight.

It's even in the title. Star Wars. So I think some effort should be put in it.

DarthPsychonis's Avatar


DarthPsychonis
03.10.2012 , 02:30 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipathize View Post
As someone who served in the military, it aggravates me when I see cinematics/star wars films that use tactics the world hasn't used since the bow and arrow became obselete. The republic cinematic comes to mind, where the troopers fire a volley of shots from ambush and then get into Melee with a significant number of force users that specialise in that.

I mean they don't even need consultants, just common sense. Anyone else bugged by this and/or have specific examples?
Star Wars isn't real dude, its all just science-fantasy. And your complaining because its not more realistic???? Its pointless trying to look for logic, there is none, its all just made for entertainment.
"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful.....the strong.....the weak.....the innocent.....the corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally."

Antipathize's Avatar


Antipathize
03.10.2012 , 02:32 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthPsychonis View Post
Star Wars isn't real dude, its all just science-fantasy. And your complaining because its not more realistic???? Its pointless trying to look for logic, there is none, its all just made for entertainment.
Thank you for this contribution to this thread. If you get bored, I'm sure there are some threads about cats where you can talk about dogs.

DarthPsychonis's Avatar


DarthPsychonis
03.10.2012 , 02:48 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipathize View Post
Thank you for this contribution to this thread. If you get bored, I'm sure there are some threads about cats where you can talk about dogs.
No dude, I am being serious. I really don't understand it when people complain about "Oh, well why does he dress that way? How can he do that? Well, what is the science behind that? Why would they fight that way? That doesn't make sense!!!" ITS NOT REAL! Its not suppose to be like reality. Your going to complain about the military tactics they are using, but the fact that they are able to travel faster than light which my all our modern science is deemed impossible is just fine!? You could go on for years picking out things in the movies that would make make no logic sense. Good God, how is a lightsaber even possible!? ITS NOT REAL! The people who made the films and video games would tell you the same thing, you are taking this too seriously. You are looking for flaws that are obvious, and answers where there are none.
"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful.....the strong.....the weak.....the innocent.....the corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally."

GymQuirk's Avatar


GymQuirk
03.10.2012 , 02:49 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipathize View Post
The moment technology is introduced, methods are developed to try to subert or take advantage of it. You're asking me to suspend disbelief that a galaxy full of aliens can devlop a space station, but not know how to fight.

It's even in the title. Star Wars. So I think some effort should be put in it.
You're 35 years too late.

Lucas created the universe complete with Hollywood Tactics. The game is just trying to retain the flavor of the source material.

Gym "Yes, I linked to TV Tropes...How many Dark Side Points is that worth?" Quirk

billyboyjennings's Avatar


billyboyjennings
03.10.2012 , 02:50 PM | #18
True. SW strategies and tactics are pretty terrible. I bet our modern militaries wouldn't have much trouble destroying most SW ground forces and Jedi/Sith.
"In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was gonna turn into such a popular character, I probably would've made it a little bit more exciting." - George Lucas, RotJ DVD Commentary, 2004
DEAL WITH IT, FANBOYS

Antipathize's Avatar


Antipathize
03.10.2012 , 03:07 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthPsychonis View Post
No dude, I am being serious. I really don't understand it when people complain about "Oh, well why does he dress that way? How can he do that? Well, what is the science behind that? Why would they fight that way? That doesn't make sense!!!" ITS NOT REAL! Its not suppose to be like reality. Your going to complain about the military tactics they are using, but the fact that they are able to travel faster than light which my all our modern science is deemed impossible is just fine!? You could go on for years picking out things in the movies that would make make no logic sense. Good God, how is a lightsaber even possible!? ITS NOT REAL! The people who made the films and video games would tell you the same thing, you are taking this too seriously. You are looking for flaws that are obvious, and answers where there are none.
Quote:
Alot of people seem to be judging this on what Vader & Palpatine's "intentions" were. As Lucas himself once said "Anyone who is evil never thinks of themselves as evil, they always think that they are doing good....even when they are not." It makes little difference to me what their motives were either good or evil, it is their actions that define them. Although Palpatine is considered the ultimate villian, there were times when Vader was even worst. Anakin knew the things he did was wrong (i.e. killing children) but he did them anyways to meet his own intentions of becoming strong enough to save Padme. We expect someone like Palpatine to be evil, as he really had no real chance of being anything else. Anakin was a good man, a hero, and to see him descend to do such horrible things is far worst. Who was pulling who's strings does not make one of them more evil than the other. The kicker for me came in TFUII (yes I know that game sucked) when Vader threatened to kill Juno, the woman Starkiller loved, unless Starkiller did his bidding. Here, Vader is knowingly doing (in extent) the same thing Palpatine did to him in EPIII.....turn to the Dark Side in order to save the one you love. That to me is the epitome of evil.
The universe isn't real dude, I don't understand why you're trying to define actions and psychology of fake people.

Think of this thread as its own little creation. I posed a (hopefully) interesting topic and within the realm of normal discussion, that topic can be discussed, interesting and new opinions based on what is relevant.

Your posts have no relevance.

DarthPsychonis's Avatar


DarthPsychonis
03.10.2012 , 09:50 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipathize View Post
The universe isn't real dude, I don't understand why you're trying to define actions and psychology of fake people.

Think of this thread as its own little creation. I posed a (hopefully) interesting topic and within the realm of normal discussion, that topic can be discussed, interesting and new opinions based on what is relevant.

Your posts have no relevance.
lol I have never seen someone act so immature especially one who claims to have served in the military. Look man, I know you though it was cute to bringing one of may previous posts from a completely different thread in some sad attempt to turn my own words against me but they have nothing to do with each other.Your thread is specificity comparing Star Wars military tactics to real life ones, therefor I pointed out that of course they would be impractical, because they are not meant to be genuine in the first place. I don't know why you think that would have no relevance. Star Wars is meant to be full of swashbuckling action-filled adventures that are supposed to be entertaining and nothing more, and have little to do with how war is waged in real life. So I am more or less agreeing with you, which would be like agreeing that the sky is blue. I'm not trolling you dude, I'm just pointing out something that I think is obvious.
"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful.....the strong.....the weak.....the innocent.....the corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally."