Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ranged or Tech

Danw
12.16.2011 , 10:12 AM | #1
What is a clear definition of ranged and tech abilities?

for

more Aim (range damage) or Cunning (tech damage)

it looks if i understand this that all blaster abilities (except maybe blaster whip) are Aim/ranged and other like thermal det and satchel are cunning/tech.

Further scoundrel is more tech while gunslinger is more ranged.

? thanks...

Azaranth
12.16.2011 , 10:51 AM | #2
You don't want aim, you just want cunning.

Danw
12.16.2011 , 10:54 AM | #3
if you look at the stats/ abilities most smuggler are blaster ie ranged, so you do want aim, only a few are tech ie non blaster

Kryptorchid
12.16.2011 , 10:56 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Danw View Post
if you look at the stats/ abilities most smuggler are blaster ie ranged, so you do want aim, only a few are tech ie non blaster
Cunning increases both Ranged damage and Tech damage. Open your Character Sheet (press C) and hover your mouse over the stats. That will show you want they do and you will see Cunning is better than Aim in every situation.

Danw
12.16.2011 , 11:13 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kryptorchid View Post
Cunning increases both Ranged damage and Tech damage. Open your Character Sheet (press C) and hover your mouse over the stats. That will show you want they do and you will see Cunning is better than Aim in every situation.
Then why have aim as a stat, except to add more to range damage with coombination of aim and cunning i guess. Other question would be how much do each give you?

basis example, not real numbers, does aim give you 10% range damage and cunning give you 5% range 5% tech? or is cunning 10% range, 10% tech? depending on values then again why have aim, it might just be extra.

note: i'm at work an cannot check things in game, either way ...

jfourz
12.16.2011 , 11:19 AM | #6
because cunning is your primary (read: only) stat

str is for jedi knight / sith warrior
wis is for jedi consular / sith inquisitor
aim is for trooper / bounty hunter

you never want those 3 stats
jayo / legions of lettow /

junkfunk
12.16.2011 , 11:26 AM | #7
Cunning.

Always.

Aim is for Troopers/BHs.
Nasty - 50 Gunslinger | Ryane - 42 Guardian
Legends - Warriors of the Shadow (PvP West Coast)
Quote: Originally Posted by McVade View Post
Every time I get force charged/rooted/knocked off the bridge in Voidstar, I want to tear off my shirt, grab my supple manboobs and shriek.

Danw
12.16.2011 , 11:30 AM | #8
But, the stats that are not primary do effect things correct, so having aim, would still effect your characters range damage, correct? just wouldn't be optimal...

junkfunk
12.16.2011 , 11:54 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Danw View Post
But, the stats that are not primary do effect things correct, so having aim, would still effect your characters range damage, correct? just wouldn't be optimal...
No.

Smugglers having Aim gain little-to-none statistical bonuses, if any.

Cunning is our primary stat. There is zero reason to go for anything else (besides endurance, and secondary stats like crit, surge, alacrity, etc.).

Think of if this way - they created a second "primary" stat to separate Troopers and Smuggler gear choices. Essentially, they do the same thing, but they are primary stats for different classes. In the same way JKs use Strength and JCs use Willpower, Troopers use Aim and Smugglers use Cunning. It wouldn't have made any sense to have Troopers and Smugglers fight after "Aim" gear when the other two classes have free roam and clear choices when it comes to gear drops. Is anyone questioning which class a chestpiece with Endurance/Strength on it belongs to? It would be a major problem for Troopers/Smugglers to be in the same group and going after the same statistical sets.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Nasty - 50 Gunslinger | Ryane - 42 Guardian
Legends - Warriors of the Shadow (PvP West Coast)
Quote: Originally Posted by McVade View Post
Every time I get force charged/rooted/knocked off the bridge in Voidstar, I want to tear off my shirt, grab my supple manboobs and shriek.

Danw
12.16.2011 , 12:10 PM | #10
It does thanks, I was just hoping for a more open system, this system feels so closed and limited (or simple).

Thanks for the help though!