Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Balance the Force? What a terrible idea

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Balance the Force? What a terrible idea

Trolltar
03.09.2012 , 10:14 AM | #1
One of the things about the prequels that always bothered me is the length. Why didnít the prequels end after Qui Gon asked the Jedi Council to train Anakin? If I had been on the Jedi Counsel the conversation would have gone like this:

Qui Gon: Iíve found this little kid. His force mite count is through the roof. Iím pretty sure itís the kid from the prophecy. I want to train him as a Jedi.

Trolltar: You think this boy is the one to bring balance to the force?

Qui Gon: Yes

Trolltar: Then chop his head off.

Qui Gon: What the heck are you talking about master?

Trolltar: Qui Gon, you seem confused. The last time you walked around town did you bump into the Sith Temple? No, of course you didnít. There isnít a Sith temple. You know why that is? Because the Sith are basically extinct. Youíre pretty sure you found one on planet sand, which brings the total number of known Sith up to a grand total of one. There are like a thousand of us. Weíre winning. Weíre kicking their butts. We have an outsized role in determining how things go down all over the galaxy. I always get seated at whatever restaurant I go into. Last week I was invited to the premiere of Indiana Jones XXIV.

Qui Gon: I still donít understand

Trolltar: Good grief man. The last thing we want is for the force to be balanced. We like it unbalanced. We like the fact that we live it up here on Coruscant while the handful of Sith in the Galaxy are hiding on some swamp world somewhere. If thereís a kid out there that can potentially end all of this then we need to get to the part where we kill him, and damn quick. Cause the only way for the force to be balanced is to add a thousand Sith, or subtract a thousand Jedi. Neither is very appealing to me.
Merkavah:MEMBER
PAXDOMINUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

Nissetuta
03.09.2012 , 10:16 AM | #2
Ha!

Funny guy.

ErikModi
03.09.2012 , 11:27 AM | #3
Yeah, seems dumb on the outside.

Thing is, and this isn't pointed out until Attack of the Clones, the Force is not in balance, the Dark Side is ascendant. Even though (the Jedi believe, until the end of TPM), there are no Sith, the Dark Side of the Force has eclipsed the Jedi's abilities. This is the point of the conversation between Mace Windu and Yoda in AotC, where they start talking about the Clone Army and end with their diminished ability to use the Force. That's because of the shroud of the Dark Side, which is clouding their abilities (and through which Anakin catches the ultimately self-destructive visions of Padme dying.)

So, the thought that Anakin would eliminate this Dark Side shroud (according to Lucas, eliminating the Dark Side itself, which is a cancer in the Force, rather than the Yin-Yang duality it's commonly thought of as), was very appealing to the Jedi.

Of course, the Jedi themselves were no longer the bastions of light they believed themselves to be, their Order bound by a thousand years of tradition and overly-conservative thinking. Anakin's job, in the grander scheme of things, was to hit the rest button on both Jedi and Sith, paving the way for a new Jedi Order that could adapt to the changing needs of the galaxy.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

QuiJonPed
03.09.2012 , 11:30 AM | #4
I have to admit I have always thought that Anakin did fulfill the prophecy. He brought a semblence of balance to the Force by removing the imbalance caused by all the Jedi.

How can the Force be balanced when it is currently massively weighted in favour of the Jedi? Well by removing all the Jedi

VanorDM
03.09.2012 , 12:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by QuiJonPed View Post
He brought a semblence of balance to the Force by removing the imbalance caused by all the Jedi.
Actually according to GL, that nearly destroyed the balance.

Because according to him, the Dark Side was the imbalance, and needed to be destroyed to restore balance to the Force. Which in it's natural state is only Light side. The Sith and other Dark Jedi destroyed the balance by using the Force they way they did.

QuiJonPed
03.09.2012 , 01:01 PM | #6
I'm not argusing with you, I appreciate you're quoting someone else. it's just that balance implies postive and negative. Darkside and the Lightside.

For their to be balance, the two must be as close together as they can be.

lorddarklon
03.09.2012 , 01:02 PM | #7
My question here is will the sith always be gone when the emperor dies in ROTJ. I know they are back in the EU but in GL view of the way things happen would they ever come back at all. Would there still be a dark side of the force
"There is no passionÖthere is solely obsession.
There is no knowledge. There is solely conviction.
There is no purpose. There is solely will.
There is nothingÖonly me" - Creed of Ruin

QuiJonPed
03.09.2012 , 01:03 PM | #8
The Sith is more a perspective on using the Force. As a race they're long gone.

AS long as you have ******es runing around with Godlike powers and flashy glowsticks, you'll always have the potential for a "Sith".

VanorDM
03.09.2012 , 02:56 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by QuiJonPed View Post
it's just that balance implies postive and negative.
That does seem to be the most logical way to view it. But again according to George Lucas, that's not what he meant.

It does make some sense if you consider that the Force = Life, which seems to be the case. The Dark side is about death and destruction, which would make it imbalanced in regards to the Force. Also in prequels Qui-gon talks about the Living Force, and how it guides you.

So if that is true, and the Force is a semi-sentient thing, then it further stands to reason that anything that runs counter to the will of that thing, is out of balance with that thing.\

The Jedi follow the Force and let IT guide them. Sith/Dark Jedi use the Force and bend it to Their will.

Lordgeneral
03.09.2012 , 03:29 PM | #10
As good as your paragraph was as i did enjoy it , palpatine wasn't hiding on a swamp, he would have soon became supreme chancellor as anakin did not play a role in his election, furthermore he would have probably found another jedi with complete mummy issues, manipulated them and boom with the clone army (which anakin did not have a role in creating or the decision of them either) no more jedi. When you think about it, what was anakins role O_O...

To a dark place this line of thought will take us.