Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Parents and Kids playing?

LaserToTheFace
03.11.2012 , 02:46 PM | #31
I don't think my father even knows what an MMO is.
Less QQ moar pew pew

Scudmungus
03.11.2012 , 04:48 PM | #32
I plan on releasing my spawn into the wild.

The ones who survive the hunt will get to game,

but not before they've done their homework and we've run out of daylight..

▮▮▮ Kick △ss now Ice cream later ▮▮▮

Spymaxx
03.11.2012 , 07:31 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
My guild has 3 father/son pairs playing. All the sons are 18+, so that gives you some indication of the fathers.
Koalachan:

What guild are you in? I am looking for a "family" style guild to join.

Guildrum
03.11.2012 , 09:49 PM | #34
My dad is the one who got me into MMOs.

It started with my Dad
Then moved to me...
The my mother...
Then my little sister...
Then my littler sister...
Then my older brother (who had been adamantly against MMOs until this one)

We are still working on the cats.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

lendarya
03.11.2012 , 10:28 PM | #35
I think it is cute how many parents play with their kids. I've always wanted a family member to play games with but its because of games that I am the black sheep of the family. I think this shows a little light in the world given the state of things families still do things together even if it is gaming

Kabjat
03.11.2012 , 10:46 PM | #36
Although I think it's great that so many parents like to play with their kids, I am a bit shocked that so many parents of 13 year olds and younger are handing this game over to their kids.

To me, it all seems a bit much for children...the sex, violence, and genocide, not to mention the disgusting garbage they could be exposed to in general chat. My husband and I play, but only after our kids are in bed. We can't in good conscience let them play this game that has so many adult themes in it...not that my 11 year old hasn't begged us many times.

I am seriously NOT trying to troll anyone or be argumentative when I post this. I refuse to make assumptions about other parents and their skills as parents so please no one go there, lol. I think it's great that people do things as a family, what my question is, do you parents turn off chat for your kids or do you let them have full access to the game?

most people probably consider my views to be a bit paranoid, and that I need to loosen up because they will hear worse stuff in school anyway....to me, that doesn't matter. I'm their mother and as such it's my responsibility to protect them from what I can and teach them right and wrong.

Again, I have no problem or issue whatsoever with other parent's choices to let their kids play this game...I'm just curious about the level of freedom you give them regarding a game like TOR.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

Tigerlillie
03.12.2012 , 12:34 AM | #37
My son was 9 years old when I came home from class and noticed that he was playing my Diablo II account with his dad. I asked what he was doing...he told me he had just traded for a (at the time rare) Stone of Jordan!

We've been gaming together ever since. All three kids and my (now) ex husband and I all played WOW since launch.

Now I play SWTOR with my youngest daughter, my ex-husband, my fiance, and my guild from WOW!

In response to the question of young children playing the game:

I have found that several scenarios have have allowed us to discuss ethics, the differences in the portrayals of women and men in society,how our decisions affect others, dating/flirting/sexual issues, and many other things I haven't named. Sometimes it makes me amazed how much time my daughter spends before making a decision on how to react or how to conduct herself.

I do keep the profanity chat filter on. And I usually play with her and she is in a guild of people I trust and have known for several years.

Everything can be a learning tool and anytime can be a teaching moment.
Just my two cents. I still think if it makes you uncomfortable, either play with them yourself in order to monitor them or just wait until you are comfortable. Good luck

Lunazen
03.12.2012 , 12:47 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Kabjat View Post
Although I think it's great that so many parents like to play with their kids, I am a bit shocked that so many parents of 13 year olds and younger are handing this game over to their kids.

To me, it all seems a bit much for children...the sex, violence, and genocide, not to mention the disgusting garbage they could be exposed to in general chat. [...] do you parents turn off chat for your kids or do you let them have full access to the game?

Hi I can't speak for everyone. Here's my take. My youngest (13 in April) had his first taste of an MMO when he was 7 (SWG). He's dabbled in most of the MMO titles since. I give him total freedom regarding the game. I don't restrict what he can see in chat (although to be perfectly honest, nothing more happens in general chat than LFG these days, at least on my server). But even were that not the case, I would not shield him from it. I would monitor, we would discuss, but I would not restrict.

If memory serves, you had a thread a while back about vulgarity in chat? I could be wrong, but same forum avatar and your name rings a bell. Anyway, I'll reiterate what I wrote in that thread regarding the issue: I've been homeschooling since 2000. My first homeschooled kiddo is in college now (20), and my second and last child is almost 13. He's taller than me (nearly 6 feet!), smarter than me, has a voice deeper than his dad's, and has the maturity of a 20 year old (probably because he's been his big brother's shadow all his life). lol. I only say this to illustrate that he's not a little boy anymore.

I allow a relatively relaxed and open exposure to the world, to include (but certainly not limited to) gaming. With a viewpoint that "the world is our classroom," I count anything and everything (within reason) as a learning opportunity. In SWTOR, negative things that arise (not that sex is a negative thing at all.. speaking more of the violence, "genocide," chat, etc.,) serve as topic starters. MMO's especially have been great opportunities for discussions ranging from sociology, psychology, leadership, teamwork, economy... you name it, it's in an MMO.

Regarding sex, it's certainly not like sexytime in SWTOR is at all graphic. Fade to black. He knows what's going on (as he's known since he was 8). No harm in it.

His favorite games are Mass Effect, KOTOR, and Skyrim. He plays Gears of War most nights with his older brother and their friends on XBox Live. Yes, he saws people in half. We've had a nice long chat that he is not to repeat the behavior irl

Bottom line for me: I can and do use gaming as a method for teaching him right from wrong. Fantasy is fantasy and people are people. He must learn to distinguish the first from reality and deal with the second regardless of the circumstances.

edited to add: not judging you and your parenting either When it comes to the job, there is more than one way to skin a cat (horrible saying but conveys the meaning perfectly)
Squadron 367
**SWG Teras Kasi~Creature Handler 2003-2005**
**EQ2 Monk 2005-2011**

lendarya
03.12.2012 , 01:12 AM | #39
I think it is wonderful you allow your children to view everything in game and use it as a learning tool but I have to ask. Will your views on freedom change at all when same sex relationships enter the game? How do you believe your child would react? Thanks for your replies

Bulbasaur
03.12.2012 , 01:45 AM | #40
There's a member in my guild who's dad plays (his dad's a battlemaster) I pvp'd with both of them many times without knowing of their relationship until much later
MerzA(gasM)
The Legacy Legacy
Prophecy of the Five