Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Color Wars!


Asturias's Avatar


Asturias
03.08.2012 , 05:44 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by HanzoV View Post
OP, I love your knowledge and enthusiasm when it comes to the lore, but people should have the freedom to choose their own path and create their own story. You can ignore them, if you must, but let them play how they wish to play.
Than the pazzaz of the of the game will be lost for a lot of hard core fan. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the game but this is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I just don't like how BioWARE is pissing on such iconic symbols to please a minority group that have no clue.
The greatest Star Wars story, that was ever told.
A hunter, a seeker, and a killer for hire
Asturias (Lonestar Legacy)
Jung Ma RP PvP

HanzoV's Avatar


HanzoV
03.08.2012 , 05:46 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Asturias View Post
Than the pazzaz of the of the game will be lost for a lot of hard core fan. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the game but this is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I just don't like how BioWARE is pissing on such iconic symbols to please a minority group that have no clue.
You shouldn't let it bother you. Personally, if I rolled a Jedi, I wouldn't want a red saber, even if I went dark. But that's just me and what others choose to do doesn't really matter.
TORtanic indeed. It's just like that movie that was hugely successful and made boatloads of money.
This is an MMO. Whether you play with or see the other players is irrelevant to that fact.

Asturias's Avatar


Asturias
03.08.2012 , 05:47 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by testszag View Post
the 50 other threads telling you how wrong you are just weren't enough?
Only one thread that I have ever been in regarding this and all I heard was, whineing from people that couldn't justify the reason except for "I just want to".
The greatest Star Wars story, that was ever told.
A hunter, a seeker, and a killer for hire
Asturias (Lonestar Legacy)
Jung Ma RP PvP

Asturias's Avatar


Asturias
03.08.2012 , 05:49 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by HanzoV View Post
You shouldn't let it bother you. Personally, if I rolled a Jedi, I wouldn't want a red saber, even if I went dark. But that's just me and what others choose to do doesn't really matter.
Well, according to lore a Dark Sided Jedi wouldn't want to expose himself do to the adverse action that would be taken against him from the Jedi Counsel.
The greatest Star Wars story, that was ever told.
A hunter, a seeker, and a killer for hire
Asturias (Lonestar Legacy)
Jung Ma RP PvP

Giondi's Avatar


Giondi
03.08.2012 , 05:49 PM | #15
Or you could deal with the fact that it isn't game breaking, but that having an inanimate object that you absolutely must be able to use in combat suddenly deciding that it doesn't like you because it somehow knows your alignment is. If you want your character to be "iconic" (or boring and exactly the same as everyone else), you are more than free to use that color.

Also, it's a little funny that a Bounty Hunter (can't use a lightsaber) is trying to tell other people how to play their characters. I've always laughed at the "Let me tell you how to play, but don't tell me how to play" attitude every RPer takes.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bedwarmer View Post
Dear Dps; I assure you that you were, in fact, nowhere remotely close to "One heal from soloing it."
Every MMO forum in under 30 seconds.

Asturias's Avatar


Asturias
03.08.2012 , 05:52 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Giondi View Post
Or you could deal with the fact that it isn't game breaking, but that having an inanimate object that you absolutely must be able to use in combat suddenly deciding that it doesn't like you because it somehow knows your alignment is. If you want your character to be "iconic" (or boring and exactly the same as everyone else), you are more than free to use that color.

Also, it's a little funny that a Bounty Hunter (can't use a lightsaber) is trying to tell other people how to play their characters. I've always laughed at the "Let me tell you how to play, but don't tell me how to play" attitude every RPer takes.
No character is the same nor is each force users helt but the method and Ideology of the two factions is a given lore wise regardless of light side/dark side choices. Your character is still unque.
The greatest Star Wars story, that was ever told.
A hunter, a seeker, and a killer for hire
Asturias (Lonestar Legacy)
Jung Ma RP PvP

Toonimator's Avatar


Toonimator
03.08.2012 , 05:53 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Colryn View Post
I agree 100% with the OP about color crystals and their restrictions to either light or dark. BW needs to stop trying to see how far they can bend the SW canon just to make a quick buck to satisfy whining non-SW fans.

If said players don't like Star Wars lore, then they should just deal with it or play a non-Star Wars game.
There's no bending of SW canon going on. Thousands of years before the films, and not quite a decade AFTER the films, colors were completely unrestricted. This has been the 'lore' for decades, and is STILL the lore in new comics and novels set in those eras. Sith tend to favor red, but they are not restricted to it. Jedi have always favored blue and green, even in Luke's NJO, but many other colors are common. And purple has only been a rarity in ONE place: the Prequels. Before AOTC, at least 2 members of the Jedi Council had purple blades. Two of Han & Leia's children used purple sabers. KOTOR saw purple crystals dropping all over the place.

There is ZERO lore that says purple should be rare in the era of SWTOR, particularly with all the NPCs sporting them. It's whining movie-only fans that are complaining that color restrictions should be restored; it's fans of Star Wars in its entirety--comics, books, and games included--that want much more variety among saber colors. And the bit about Exar Kun and the player not being significant enough to overshadow his feats; I beg to differ. According to the player stories in the game, Consulars, Knights, Inquisitors, and Warriors are all EXCEPTIONAL. We are playing the next Exar Kuns, the next Revans, the next Lukes. In a story-driven game, that absolutely takes precedence over the fact that there's 50 'next Revans' running around the Fleet at any given time, even if they're ALL running with purple saber blades.

The bottom line is that saber color in the EU--where this game takes place--is equal parts tradition and preference. And there are other ways to make alignment choices count; saber color shouldn't be one of them.

Asturias's Avatar


Asturias
03.08.2012 , 05:58 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
There's no bending of SW canon going on. Thousands of years before the films, and not quite a decade AFTER the films, colors were completely unrestricted. This has been the 'lore' for decades, and is STILL the lore in new comics and novels set in those eras. Sith tend to favor red, but they are not restricted to it. Jedi have always favored blue and green, even in Luke's NJO, but many other colors are common. And purple has only been a rarity in ONE place: the Prequels. Before AOTC, at least 2 members of the Jedi Council had purple blades. Two of Han & Leia's children used purple sabers. KOTOR saw purple crystals dropping all over the place.

There is ZERO lore that says purple should be rare in the era of SWTOR, particularly with all the NPCs sporting them. It's whining movie-only fans that are complaining that color restrictions should be restored; it's fans of Star Wars in its entirety--comics, books, and games included--that want much more variety among saber colors. And the bit about Exar Kun and the player not being significant enough to overshadow his feats; I beg to differ. According to the player stories in the game, Consulars, Knights, Inquisitors, and Warriors are all EXCEPTIONAL. We are playing the next Exar Kuns, the next Revans, the next Lukes. In a story-driven game, that absolutely takes precedence over the fact that there's 50 'next Revans' running around the Fleet at any given time, even if they're ALL running with purple saber blades.

The bottom line is that saber color in the EU--where this game takes place--is equal parts tradition and preference. And there are other ways to make alignment choices count; saber color shouldn't be one of them.
According to the EU (Expanded universe) This is how mace got his Purple crystal.
"In 58 BBY, a young Mace Windu was sent to Hurikane on a mission as a Padawan. In exchange for helping the stone-encrusted native species, Windu was given a handful of the rare violet Hurrikane crystals, which he used to create his unique electrum lightsaber."

Its a rare crystal of all eras.
The greatest Star Wars story, that was ever told.
A hunter, a seeker, and a killer for hire
Asturias (Lonestar Legacy)
Jung Ma RP PvP

Ganrax's Avatar


Ganrax
03.08.2012 , 05:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by davidpop View Post
I dont know about all that stuff you wrote, but yea it is abit annoying that you hardly see any jedis with blue or green sabers, i know someone will come in here and tell us that lorewise jedis and siths can use any color they want, but as you say, green/blue for jedi and red for sith is iconic, and tbh what the vast majority uses.
You're own argument for the restrictions(which is often repeated) defeats itself. It keeps being thrown around that "every Jedi is now using a red lightsaber" due to the restriction being lifted. Now this in itself shows that the majority of the people(at least according to the people for the restriction) playing the game would rather have what color crystal they want as opposed to being restricted, while the minority being the people that are angry at the fact that it is being done. If this is indeed the case then it just shows that Bioware is going with the smart business choice and keeping the MAJORITY happy, not the vocal minority that must control how other characters look so they can enjoy their game, completely justifying the removal of the color crystal restriction.

If so many people thought the same way as you did about factions/alignment using certain colors you wouldn't be complaining about it in the first place as there would be very few people that would want to use a different color.

Llaera's Avatar


Llaera
03.08.2012 , 06:00 PM | #20
According to "Jedi frowned on the use of synthetic crystals in lightsabers, most individuals who utilized colors other than red were Darksiders looking to hide their affiliations" it sounds like the only real restriction that would make sense would be for Republic to be restricted from using red, since your argument also concedes that "However, synth-crystals could be made in any color, requiring only slight adjustments of the creation process and special manipulations through the Force during the forging."

Regarding the purple lightsabers, is your argument simply that they should be rare, or are you trying to state that they shouldn't be in the game at all? The argument seems a bit moot when you consider the fact that (1) Episode 1 is in a completely different time period and (2) that, as in your own previously stated argument, "...synth-crystals could be made in any color, requiring only slight adjustments of the creation process and special manipulations through the Force during the forging." So, are you trying to only restrict the Republic from using it since it doesn't occur naturally?

Overall, it sounds like the only leg to stand on would be that the Republic should be restricted from using colors that don't occur naturally. Call me crazy, but I don't think that'd be a very good move, considering there are already issues with populations favoring Empire overall.

Lastly, if we're going to bring movies into it again, aside from the obvious point of the game taking place in a very different time period, I'd like to point out that colors were mainly added post-production to make it easier for the audience to discern the good guys from the bad, and that if they hadn't made said changes, the lightsabers would've been white.