Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Color Wars!

Asturias
03.08.2012 , 05:11 PM | #1
Synthetic Crystals, itís a Sith Thang!

Though synthetic crystals were ordinarily unsuitable for use in light sabers, the Sith discovered that they could create synth-crystals that were energized, magnetized, and modified with the power of the dark side of the Force in special furnaces, causing the crystal to glow in harmonic vibration. As a result of their artificial origins, synthetic crystals created more powerful light saber blades and could be more easily augmented. Also, their common usage by Sith and other Darksiders after this discovery caused synthetic crystals to become something of a staple among such groups, and their use among Jedi was strongly discouraged.

Most synthetic crystals were red, a result of the forging process, and oftentimes the initiate's intentional manipulations, as most individuals who utilized synthetic crystals were Darksiders. The red-hued light saber blades generated by such crystals were often nicknamed "bloodshine blades". However, synth-crystals could be made in any color, requiring only slight adjustments of the creation process and special manipulations through the Force during the forging. Jedi frowned on the use of synthetic crystals in lightsabers, most individuals who utilized colors other than red were Darksiders looking to hide their affiliations

1. But Exar Kun had a blue light saber!
Explanation: The lightsaber of Jedi Knight Exar Kun was a device that was initially created to produce a single beam of blue-white energy. However, upon his ascension to Dark Lord of the Sith, Kun redesigned his lightsaber based on instructions hidden within an antiquated Sith holocron. The finished product was a double-bladed weapon imbued with dark side energy, from which sapphire blades materialized up to 1.5 meters from either end of the hilt.
(Exar Kun had learned long lost secrets from a holocron that forged the look but it is a synthetically made crystal infused with the dark side of the force.) A rarity your character is not significant enough to overshadow and take away the iconic look of this character.

2. But Anakin used his Blue Light Saber in EP3!
Explanation: Anakin just turned to the Dark Side of the Force and was immediately sent to kill the remaining separatist and exterminate the Jedi order. He did not have time, I repeat he did not have time to make a Synthetic Crystal.
(What you see in the movies and a design restriction in a video game is two different things. There is a reason why these three were restricted because BioWARE knows they are the iconic colors of the two factions.)

3. But Mace Windu had a purple colored crystal!
In the Prequel Trilogy, Mace Windu's unique purple lightsaber was a functional change but Samuel L. Jackson, who played Windu, asked for a lightsaber to match his favorite color, and the distinct shade helped his character stand out on the battlefield from the red, blue, and green of the other lightsabers.
A rarity, nuff said!

4. But General Grievous fought Obi-Won with four colored light sabers!
Explanation: The General was not a Sith but a warrior who kept the light sabers of the fallen Jedi he killed. He also trained with Darth Tyranus, formerly Count Dooku and a Jedi Master. As seen in the movies (EP2 & EP3) Darth Tyranus constructed a curved helt red bladed light saber as did many other EU/OT Jedi who converted to the Dark Side.
Many Warriors who killed Jedi kept the Sabers of there victims because the weapon is hard to make but Sith go beyond that they construct a synth blade because they believe it is more powerful which is tradition.

5. But I got pics of different Jedi/Sith shown with different colored blades.
Explanation: Your talking about a handful of Jedi/Sith over the course of thousands years of history and not one time period. Each character recorded in the EU was unique and given a distinct difference for story, just like Mace Windu had in EP2.
Mace Windu blade was a rarity among Jedi in that period as well as the others in there period and it needs to be rare in SWTOR MMORPG.

6. But I don't have a Sith/Jedi!
Explanation: Every Army of every world including the one we live in used distinct colors or tracers to distingish the difference between friend and enemy(US/Germany/China/France/Brits, all use there own distinct tracer).
Star Wars is no difference as shown in the movies and other media produced to the public.

7. But KOTOR 1 & 2 had unrestricted colors!
Explanation: There is a huge difference between a single player game where you are the center of the world vs a MMORPG where you share that world with others. BioWARE recognizes the iconic colors for each faction and it shows on there own website and in the CG movies produced for this game.
By allowing people to switch at random it produce a situation where the norm is not the norm anymore and tradition is lost. Your not playing a Star Wars MMORPG your playing with Fashion Lions!

8. But why do you care?
Explanation: I am in the military where uniformity is everything!
I like many other MMOers like uniformity in our MMOs because it creates a since of realism or accomplishment when finding something rare. Rarity colors need to stay rare, period because its not Star Wars anymore and won't be much of a MMORPG!

Jedi used natural crystals!
According to The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force, lightsaber colors originally indicated a Jedi's role in the Order. For example, Jedi Consulars, who focused on non-violence, carried green lightsabers to symbolize peace. Jedi Guardians, on the other hand, carried blue lightsabers as a symbol of uniformity and solidarity.The lack of lightsaber color variation in the movies is a lack of colored crystals. According to Jedi vs. Sith, the Empire (Past/Present/Future) quarantined or destroyed many sources of lightsaber crystals. This left the Jedi with mostly Ilum crystals, which can only produce green or blue blades.

Conclusion
Red/Blue/Green needs to be restricted to their respective factions. The symbols of the big three colors are iconic to the faction which they have been displayed upon. Posters, movies, books, cartoons, toys and comics is proof enough that Red is the faction color of the Sith, while Blue/Green is the faction color of the Jedi, regardless of a select few iconic characters. If allowed make it RARE to achieve such crystals, give us players something to look forward to, make the challenge and we will play.

Flame away!
The greatest Star Wars story, that was ever told.
A hunter, a seeker, and a killer for hire
Asturias (Lonestar Legacy)
Jung Ma RP PvP

davidpop
03.08.2012 , 05:16 PM | #2
I dont know about all that stuff you wrote, but yea it is abit annoying that you hardly see any jedis with blue or green sabers, i know someone will come in here and tell us that lorewise jedis and siths can use any color they want, but as you say, green/blue for jedi and red for sith is iconic, and tbh what the vast majority uses.

Asturias
03.08.2012 , 05:17 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by davidpop View Post
I dont know about all that stuff you wrote, but yea it is abit annoying that you hardly see any jedis with blue or green sabers, i know someone will come in here and tell us that lorewise jedis and siths can use any color they want, but as you say, green/blue for jedi and red for sith is iconic, and tbh what the vast majority uses.
Glad someone sees the logic behind it, thanks bud!
Jung Ma RP PvP

Colryn
03.08.2012 , 05:26 PM | #4
I agree 100% with the OP about color crystals and their restrictions to either light or dark. BW needs to stop trying to see how far they can bend the SW canon just to make a quick buck to satisfy whining non-SW fans.

If said players don't like Star Wars lore, then they should just deal with it or play a non-Star Wars game.

Asturias
03.08.2012 , 05:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Colryn View Post
I agree 100% with the OP about color crystals and their restrictions to either light or dark. BW needs to stop trying to see how far they can bend the SW canon just to make a quick buck to satisfy whining non-SW fans.

If said players don't like Star Wars lore, then they should just deal with it or play a non-Star Wars game.
Right on!
Jung Ma RP PvP

Sqyre
03.08.2012 , 05:33 PM | #6
I like my light side sith jugg using a blue saber, and really don't see where this would be anymore wrong than being a light side sith in the first place.

But to the op a very good read indead.

Degarmo
03.08.2012 , 05:33 PM | #7
I agree with this completely. Make choices count, and make faction mean something other than my team and your team.
The Last - A gaming guild of old codgers.
www.thelastguild.com
RIP

HanzoV
03.08.2012 , 05:39 PM | #8
OP, I love your knowledge and enthusiasm when it comes to the lore, but people should have the freedom to choose their own path and create their own story. You can ignore them, if you must, but let them play how they wish to play.
TORtanic indeed. It's just like that movie that was hugely successful and made boatloads of money.
This is an MMO. Whether you play with or see the other players is irrelevant to that fact.

Asturias
03.08.2012 , 05:40 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sqyre View Post
I like my light side sith jugg using a blue saber, and really don't see where this would be anymore wrong than being a light side sith in the first place.

But to the op a very good read indead.
That is the thing, regardless of being light sided/dark sided, if your faction is being a Sith than your character was brought up in the beliefs that a synthetic crystal is more powerful. A light sided Sith is not necessarily pure light side, you just choose to take a different approach to handling things. I do believe that a light sided Sith should be able to equip a Red Saber but a Dark Jedi should not.
Jung Ma RP PvP

testszag
03.08.2012 , 05:43 PM | #10
the 50 other threads telling you how wrong you are just weren't enough?
no f2p 4 me