Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BSOD when setting Anti-aliasing? Happening to others?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
BSOD when setting Anti-aliasing? Happening to others?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Marctraider
03.19.2012 , 04:44 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by FAAmecanic View Post
I have had this happen 3 times now. Whenever I set Anti-Aliasing to HIGH, I get a BSOD within 5 min of gameplay. If I set NONE then I can play for hours and no crashes. This is also the first time in the month and a half that I have played this game that this happens.

This all started happening since the last patch on 03/06/12.

Im at work ...so I will post a DxDiag and write down error next time it happens, but was wondering if this is happening to others.

I play other games at 4X AA 16X AF and no problems.
Dont use in-game Anti Aliasing, its worthless. I dont know about you Nvidia users but here on ATI users, or at least the HD6xxx series but I'm pretty positive it includes all AMD card users, Anti aliasing settings are borked.

Off = off.
Low = off
High = 2x

Figure that, you can probably guess how much dedication and work they've put into good AA implementation. Even Adaptive Antialiasing for AMD users is STILL broken and looks crappy. Its even more worthless since they've stated Anti aliasing modes as stupid terms like High, Low etc to indicate the AA mode. Every game just properly shows the AA mode as the real AA mode being used i.e. 2x, 4x, 8x, etc... except .... yeah you can guess... the game is called... SWTOR. Dumbed down for the dumb boys.

Strange thing is that AA is just AA, no matter whether its forced through Catalyst/NvidiaControlPanel or enabled in the game.

In the worst case your BSOD is because of your GPU failing, I fail to see why this would be a driver issue. Enabling AA will stress your GPU more then without using AA. Both for the core and memory

If AA was 'bugged' in the game it would probably give problems directly without 5 minutes delay. If updating drivers won't work its probably an unstable GPU because of the higher stress conditions with AA on.
Cyrix 166MHz - 128MB EDOram - Tseng Labs WD4000 1MB VRAM + 3DFx Voodoo 2 12MB 2x SLI - Quantum Bigfoot 6GB - Adlib Gold 8-bit soundcard with real OPL3 Synthesis.
--- 45~ FPS in Fleet/Warzones ---

seallone
03.19.2012 , 04:52 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
Dont use in-game Anti Aliasing, its worthless. I dont know about you Nvidia users but here on ATI users, or at least the HD6xxx series but I'm pretty positive it includes all AMD card users, Anti aliasing settings are borked.

Off = off.
Low = off
High = 2x

Figure that, you can probably guess how much dedication and work they've put into good AA implementation. Even Adaptive Antialiasing for AMD users is STILL broken and looks crappy. Its even more worthless since they've stated Anti aliasing modes as stupid terms like High, Low etc to indicate the AA mode. Every game just properly shows the AA mode as the real AA mode being used i.e. 2x, 4x, 8x, etc... except .... yeah you can guess... the game is called... SWTOR. Dumbed down for the dumb boys.

Strange thing is that AA is just AA, no matter whether its forced through Catalyst/NvidiaControlPanel or enabled in the game.

In the worst case your BSOD is because of your GPU failing, I fail to see why this would be a driver issue. Enabling AA will stress your GPU more then without using AA. Both for the core and memory

If AA was 'bugged' in the game it would probably give problems directly without 5 minutes delay. If updating drivers won't work its probably an unstable GPU because of the higher stress conditions with AA on.
Im not playing the game like that, looks bad. I do get (black lock up)) In w7 logs says, unexpected shut down, only. nothing to report.
LVL 50 sorc 6 LVL 20's

Marctraider
03.19.2012 , 04:58 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by seallone View Post
Im not playing the game like that, looks bad. I do get (black lock up)) In w7 logs says, unexpected shut down, only. nothing to report.
What looks bad, forcing AA through your Nvidia control panel? Dunno but 4x or 8x AA looks much better then the highest Swtor can provide, 2x. Unless you have a tiny miny screen with supersmall pixels, I could imagine you don't see a difference :P
Cyrix 166MHz - 128MB EDOram - Tseng Labs WD4000 1MB VRAM + 3DFx Voodoo 2 12MB 2x SLI - Quantum Bigfoot 6GB - Adlib Gold 8-bit soundcard with real OPL3 Synthesis.

FAAmecanic
03.21.2012 , 07:41 PM | #14
I have tried forcing AA via control panel and for some reason it doesnt look like it applies AA in game.

I seriously doubt its a bad GPU as I run Skyrim at 8XAA and 16XAF with no issues for HOURS (over 300 hours of play right now).

I will try forcing the AA via control panel again as maybe I havent tried that...cant remember.

theskurGe
03.21.2012 , 07:55 PM | #15
Yes, try forcing it through the graphics card driver control panel. I was having issues running the in-game AA, so I shut it off in game and set it in the control panel and everything is fine now.

Marctraider
03.21.2012 , 08:16 PM | #16
DONT use in-game anti aliasing, its crap. 2x is the highest u can get. Force it through your videocards control panel. If it still BSOD's the driver is simply not compatible with SWTOR.

If it doesn't apply in TOR with using your control panel something might be wrong with your drivers? In catalyst (12.1) it applies like it should, not even a profile needed.

Cerimon
03.21.2012 , 08:53 PM | #17 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings FAAmecanic,

Please try setting your video card AA settings to application controlled and then in-game set AA to low, click apply, then high and apply.
Also don't overclock any of your hardware as the game is very sensitive to this and does not like it much.

Thank You for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

FAAmecanic
03.22.2012 , 09:20 AM | #18
Card is set at Application Controled, Low AA and High AA causes a BSOD with about the same frequence. Even with no AA I occasionally BSOD (maybe once every 8 hours of play). My guild mate is also BSOD'ing so I know it isnt just me.

My PC or graphics card are not overclocked... they are on stock speeds.

JustinxDuff
03.22.2012 , 09:22 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post

Also don't overclock any of your hardware as the game is very sensitive to this and does not like it much.

Really? Seriously?

There it is folks. The engine is poorly optimized and designed.
Bluntasaurus - Gunslinger - Ewoks Anonyous
Bluntskii - Sentinel - Ewoks Anonymous
Prophecy of the Five
Push the envelope, watch it bend

Fradrok
03.22.2012 , 09:54 AM | #20
A Stop 0x124, as posted in your spoiler, is a hardware malfunction. It could easily be your HDD or RAM, or your Video Card. Probably your video card since the AA settings seem to point in that direction.

Since you tried setting your AA to "Application Controlled", change it to custom and play with a few options to see if one lasts longer than the other.

I will tell you, that there are boards out there that require LOTS OF COOLING AIR ... If you have an extra fan laying around, try opening up your case and pointing the fan directly onto your video card. Don't go nuts ... no need to build a funnel system ... but it may be that AA is making your GPU overheat, then windows sees that and to protect your card from disaster, forces a shutdown ... then provides the generic Stop 0x124 error code.

So, check your card's cooling system and add more to be as sure as you can that it's not overheating.
You're only as good as the nerds and geeks supporting you ... consider your choices well, and be good-er!