Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will useless stats be removed in 1.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Will useless stats be removed in 1.2

Akella
03.09.2012 , 12:18 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Carbonated View Post
If a sniper rifle with shield rating and defence is correct then GG.

which class or companion uses tanking stats on a sniper rifle?
Someone's who's bad?
Never argue with a fool, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

GnatB
03.09.2012 , 12:28 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by downface View Post
Well you are wrong on at least one count there: The Knight companion, Doc, uses a scattergun (shotgun) and uses cunning as his primary stat. As stated by others above, there are stat combinations that companions use that are not used by players.
I'd assume the "no shotgun or vibriknife needs aim or cunning" was a mistype. Pretty sure both scoundrels (shotgun) and agents (vibroknife) use cunning as main stat. And those are both player classes.

GnatB
03.09.2012 , 12:29 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatumsa View Post
Um, I think you missed Vanguard completely, and Corso/Bowdar for smugglers, possibly more.
Pretty sure Bowdaar is strength? But yeah. Tank Vanguards.

VanguardXL
03.09.2012 , 12:32 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Baelish View Post
Rubbish. The common code could be conditional on the main stat or type of the item. No Cunning class needs Tanking stats. No shotgun or vibroknife needs Aim or Cunning stats.
My IA would be in deep doo-doo if Vibroknives no longer had Cunning. Pretty sure Scoundrels would be pretty put out if their shotties stop having Cunning too.

As for Aim for melee, such as some companions, I still say it's a bug, and report it daily as such. They didn't want multiple of ranged tanks per class, so low and behold they hose an entire line of companions because they couldn't recode Aim to Strength.

... but that's another topic.
"Damn kids! Get offa mah planet!"

-I'm Jolee Bindo, and I approve this message.

downface
03.09.2012 , 04:45 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatumsa View Post
Um, I think you missed Vanguard completely, and Corso/Bowdar for smugglers, possibly more.
Yes. Vanguards do use shields, but I was not aware that they actually perform a tanking role outside of soloing. The ranged tank thing is weird.

Corso Riggs is also technically a ranged tank but I seriously doubt many folks use him with Bowdaar available, who uses Strength btw.

Also, the only people who ever buy my purple +Aim tanking gear are sages. Just sayin'.

Jerid
03.09.2012 , 04:52 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhaphael View Post
It is simply coded to allow all variations of Critical/Power/Defense+secondary stats. Changing it to only allow sensible combinations would mean a HUGE amount of work, because every craftable item will need to be checked for combo's which do and which don't make sense. I highly doubt the developers will have time for that.
Not to mention things can change, what happens if they remove it for 1.2 then in an expansion next year, they add some companions that are ranged tanks that DO use a sniper rifle?

Also, what one person considers useless (IE: Presence) another finds valuable.

As long as they do away with the "You already know that schematic" along with the improved RE chances that are comming, I think will be enough for the moment. The worst thing they could do would be to change it to the point where people start demanding they change it back.

Battilea
03.09.2012 , 05:37 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWalt View Post
The problem with "useless" stats is they arent. Yes I will openly admit that some combos are usless to player toons. However they are not useless to some compaions.
Not quite true. Some are truly useless.

You can make off-hand only, non-shield items, with +shielding. In order to benefit from this stat, you have to have a shield in your offhand. Needless to say, that makes it rather impossible to hold that non-shield offhand item.

Also, while medium armor tanking gear can technically be used by heavy armor tanks, why would they?

Melchiora
03.09.2012 , 07:11 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Battilea View Post
Not quite true. Some are truly useless.

You can make off-hand only, non-shield items, with +shielding. In order to benefit from this stat, you have to have a shield in your offhand. Needless to say, that makes it rather impossible to hold that non-shield offhand item.

Also, while medium armor tanking gear can technically be used by heavy armor tanks, why would they?
I think it's important to differentiate a couple of things:

1. Stats you can't see who'd use, for example Sniper Rifles with defense. You might not want to use it, but it still technically does something.

2. Useless stats, for example Sniper Rifles with Shield Rating. NOBODY, player or companion, can use a sniper rifle and a shield at the same time.

Medium tank armor is the former. The latter is more important.

Battilea
03.09.2012 , 07:34 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Melchiora View Post
2. Useless stats, for example Sniper Rifles with Shield Rating. NOBODY, player or companion, can use a sniper rifle and a shield at the same time.
Of course, if they ever added a sniper rifle using tank companion...

Daekarus
03.09.2012 , 07:39 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by downface View Post
Yes. Vanguards do use shields, but I was not aware that they actually perform a tanking role outside of soloing. The ranged tank thing is weird.

Corso Riggs is also technically a ranged tank but I seriously doubt many folks use him with Bowdaar available, who uses Strength btw.

Also, the only people who ever buy my purple +Aim tanking gear are sages. Just sayin'.
Oh yes, we tank, and we do it both at range and in melee range, although we are most effective at melee range thanks to our super-tazer rifle stocks. Tanking only solo, lol...