Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Launcher doesn't launch!

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lord_Erman
03.08.2012 , 01:37 AM | #1
Hi,

I am already playing the game for a long time (lvl 50 Sith Sorcerer + lvl 29 jedi sage) but just yesterday I had to change my computer and now I have to work with an old but okay one. The machine is a bit old but that's not a problem and I know that thet game can run. So I installed the game to it. And right after the installation was finished, I clicked the desktop icon and nothing has happened.

I searched the forums and other web sources for this problem before posting here, read everything people wrote, so I am aware of the possible solutions. But sadly none worked so far. No anti virus active, no firewall issues and yes, I'm the administrator.

There's a launcher.exe.update folder in my main SW folder. I click it and see another laucher icon which also doesn't respond. There is also another launcher.exe.update folder in this folder. I click it and see another launcher icon and a fixlauncher icon. I also tried that fixlauncher.exe but it didn't fix anything.

In this folder there is also another launcher.exe.update folder. I click that one too and see yet another launcher icon and that fixlauncher file. And in this folder there is ANOTHER launcher.exe.update folder. I don't know how deeper this will go. Okay, I click it, and see another launcer icon and another fixlauncher file.

There is no other launcher.exe.update folder here, so I assume I reached the "deepest point". I click this final launcher icon. It works and the launcher launches! It asks me my e-mail address and my password but normally after that screen, it should ask me my secret security question. Instead of that, the game starts downloading some huge files.

I searched the internet again at this point for answers, and realized from other people's posts that the launcher is trying to download the WHOLE game once again. But I already have it installed!

I tried everything, uninstalled and re-installed the game for 4 more times but no. The launcher isn't working.

I also tried the game on my laptop. It worked perfectly fine and I was able to enter the game just as normal. But my laptop's configuration is very low so I cannot play the game there.

So what's wrong?! How can I run this game on this computer?

Please help!!!

As I said, I already tried all the possible options I saw on other threads. There must be something else!

Thank you in advance.

Beesodd
03.08.2012 , 01:41 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Lord_Erman,

Have you tried deleting the launcher.exe.update file(the top one) and running the fixlauncher.exe again?

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

Lord_Erman
03.08.2012 , 02:00 AM | #3
Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I did as you said and deleted the folder. Then I clicked the launcher icon and YES, the launcher worked!

BUT...!!!

Right after I wrote just the first letter of my e-mail address, the launcher went black and now I cannot do anything. I cannot write anything and the only button I can press is the EXIT button.

If you want, I can post a screenshot.

Help?!! Please?!!

Thanks in advance.

JohanGill
03.08.2012 , 02:02 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Erman View Post
Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I did as you said and deleted the folder. Then I clicked the launcher icon and YES, the launcher worked!

BUT...!!!

Right after I wrote just the first letter of my e-mail address, the launcher went black and now I cannot do anything. I cannot write anything and the only button I can press is the EXIT button.

If you want, I can post a screenshot.

Help?!! Please?!!

Thanks in advance.
Does the same thing happen if launcher is killed and then restarted?
Don't call me fanboy just because I can read, think and write.

Lord_Erman
03.08.2012 , 02:07 AM | #5
I now tried it again. There is now a launcher.exe.update folder again in my main SW folder. I click it and then click the fixlauncher.exe in that folder. Then I click the launcher icon.

The launcher works and it says "the launcher is being updated, please wait". I wait and then, after a short time nothing happens and the launcher disappears.

I look again to my SW directory and see that now there is yet another launcher.exe.update folder in it. I see where this is going and I really won't be downloading the whole game again. Not when it's already installed.

There must be a solution... I just don't know what it is.

Beesodd
03.08.2012 , 02:09 AM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello again Lord_Erman,

Please ensure that you have the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your operating system, including optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features. Please also ensure that your Java is up to date.

Then try the previous step of deleting the update folder and running the fixlauncher.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

axelrod
03.08.2012 , 03:14 AM | #7
Having same issue since last patch. Did as instructed and still have to download entire game file. This was common early in game but was fixed. It appears an old bug is returned.

Lord_Erman
03.08.2012 , 03:42 AM | #8
Okay I did as said. Re-installed Java and .netframework and then checked that the computer has all the latest Windows updates. And yes, the launcher worked fine this time. But something weird has happened (again!).

The launcher screen went black once again but this time I was able to type my e-mail address and my password. Then I clicked login.

Normally after that screen I should be entering the answer of my security question but the launcher didn't asked me that. Instead I saw a totally new screen which said "Pick an environment". The two options were "Public Test - Weekly Patches" and "SWTOR". I have no idea what those are so I clicked SWTOR.

Then the game patched itself as usual as this was the first time the game was running on this computer.

Then the game started. I was so happy and I was just thinking how I could thank you for helping me overcome the problem. But nothing has happened after that.

The Bioware logo came, the EA and Lucasarts logos came, I then skipped the intro video and waited for the "select a server" screen. But nothing has happened. My screen stayed totally black for sometime and then the game kicked me out.

I tried it 3 times more after this and the same thing has happened. I logged into the game even though somehow the launcher didn't ask me my security question, the usual loading screen showed up (the same picture that also appears on the game's cover), but then I saw only a full black screen and the game kicked me out.

What do you think I am missing? What should I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance! I'm so close playing the game (finally!) but need to do one final thing I suppose.

Beesodd
03.08.2012 , 03:45 AM | #9 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Thanks for getting back to us. Now that the launcher is running, please try using the repair function on the launcher, this should search for and replace any corrupted files that might be causing this issue.

Lord_Erman
03.08.2012 , 03:49 AM | #10
Uhm, how do I repair the launcher?

I don't see a such button anywhere. There is only one button at the lower left corner which is settings, and there I only have the option to select language.

What am I missing this time?!!