Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Yittrix
03.19.2012 , 05:00 PM | #41
The game crashes to the desktop usually when I try to attack high HP NPC characters >3000 HP. As soon as I toss a thermal grenade or fire the blaster it crashes the game back to the desktop. I can log back in and select the same NPC and it will crash again with the same results.

Started after the 1.1.5 patch early last week.

Spoiler

potholes
03.19.2012 , 05:31 PM | #42
my crashing to desktop 2 to 3 times a day i look in event viewer (windows key + r) and this is my error
Faulting application name: swtor.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f5a6e3a
Faulting module name: RemoteRendererClient.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f5a6b49
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001e316
Faulting process id: 0xc74
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd062300476790
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\RemoteRendererClient.d ll

brossiah
03.19.2012 , 06:00 PM | #43
I didn't read all 1000 posts so if I'm reiterating here, I apologize. This is a driver recommendation, but not a GPU one. Depending on the quantity of f**ks given, you may want to just skip to the end.

Background: I had an issue up to a few days ago where periodically my system would completely lock up while playing TOR. Mouse would freeze, keyboard unresponsive (not even numlock would toggle), and my audio would stutter like Skrillex was trying to remix it. Occasionally this would make TOR tank, other times it would recover. Considering I had just reinstalled windows on a new cpu+mobo I was nerd raging pretty bad.

Turns out it was my network driver. Apparently Windows gave me a (old) compatible driver, but by no means was it a good one. Apparently there was a known bug filed against it where the driver would completely lock the processor when waiting for TCP packets (/epicInterruptFail).

Fore...ground? So for those of you guys seeing issues perhaps hit your less obvious components (LAN/wireless/chipset) and make sure your using the latest drivers from the manufacturer. I know everybody keeps GPU drivers up to date, but I usually don't keep up with my other peripherals (seriously who ever updates their LAN driver?). Heck if your anything like me, when Windows comes up and device manager says "I'm good", you send that installer CD into the deep dark corner of your closet known as CD purgatory.

EDIT This makes alot less sense if your problem just started happening, but 1.1.5a was on (MS) Patch Tuesday so I dunno. Microsoft can be douchey.

Interrobanged
03.21.2012 , 09:13 PM | #44
The client crashes constantly, in any and all situations: planetside, in space combat, or just standing around on the fleet. I've updated my graphics card drivers, Java, C++, re-installed the client, and a half dozen other fixes, but nothing has helped. The game has been literally unplayable since patch 1.1.5; I can play at most between 5 and 10 minutes before I get a crash to desktop, and this problem - which seems to be affecting a significant percentage of the game population - still hasn't gotten even a perfunctory response as to why or how this error keeps happening.

I like this game, and I want to play it, but apparently the team assigned to bug fixes is too busy streamlining weekend passes to respond to actual customers who pay monthly for a broken game. Even Blizzard had better customer service than this.

Get it together, Bioware. You'll never have a competitive MMO if you can't fix the recurrent errors that keep your subscribers from playing the game they pay for. And if this doesn't get resolved soon, you'll have one less. Why is this problem receiving so little attention? Stop noodling around with Legacy perks and class balancing and make your stupid game playable for the people who pay for it.

Spoiler

Nene
03.21.2012 , 10:06 PM | #45
I to have just started having this issue, as long as I don't try to leave an area I'm fine, can walk around the space dock all day long, but don't try to leave in any way, if I'm luck I can go into a war zone BUT, as soon as the speeders appear in civil war I crash, huttball as soon as the force field drops so we can go, ctd, voidstar same. enter or exit a ship, ctd, fleet pass ctd.

This has only just started happening after 1.1.5 and has been getting more and more common each patch to the point where I can not play anymore.

As for the question about drivers, everything is up to date, I cannie get any newer drivers for anything on my PC. When this issue started I went and checked all my hardware for any updates as well as directx,

it's good to know it's not only me having this issue. I hope it's sorted soon as I'd like to play again at the end of this month or next month
So much anger and negativity on the forums, people getting upset about rumors and bits of info. Just chill get all the facts then get grumpy. The game isn't even released.

Defmachine
03.22.2012 , 06:27 PM | #46
I had this issue for two weeks. I checked everything on my computer and it was fine. I even played fine on a second account and could play other games fine. Last night my ram went out and i replaced it now I'm fine. Maybe if you think everything in your computer is perfect it might not be.
Ddouble Fat Marauder
Donut Master of <DDouble's Donut Shop>
Just hug it out

Qonor
03.25.2012 , 10:49 PM | #47
Hmm, it's getting worse. Three times today. This is something that didn't happen as often while I was leveling up. The frequency is about once every three to four hours, meaning every time I sit down to play. It could be checking mail, doing a flashpoint, questing, or pvping.

Spoiler
Marqus Deception Assassin
Maelstrom Empire Guild
Jedi Covenant PvE East Server

Qonor
03.25.2012 , 10:50 PM | #48
And the rest of it...not sure if you need this also. The prior post had a 50,000 character max.

Spoiler
Maelstrom Empire Guild

dksocal
03.25.2012 , 11:49 PM | #49
Frequency of Crashes:
Once per day, for the last 3 days

DXDiag
Spoiler

Crash Triggers
I crash in the Huttball Warzone. Its random and nothing seems to trigger it. Interestingly enough, a guildie of mine crashes at EXACTLY the same moment I report my crash. Additionally, other members of the same WZ crash as well

This is a crash to desktop with a brief lockup in game.

Qonor
03.26.2012 , 08:47 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by dksocal View Post
Frequency of Crashes:
Once per day, for the last 3 days

Crash Triggers
I crash in the Huttball Warzone. Its random and nothing seems to trigger it. Interestingly enough, a guildie of mine crashes at EXACTLY the same moment I report my crash. Additionally, other members of the same WZ crash as well

This is a crash to desktop with a brief lockup in game.
My most recent crash occurred last night while playing my first Huttball game, exactly as you described. It was my first time PvPing. I'll hold off on PvPing since it's common to crash the game.
Maelstrom Empire Guild