Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

lELADRIN
04.27.2012 , 02:40 PM | #121
I posted this Elsewhere in these forums but I have found a fix to this bug, over 24 hrs now of game play without a single crash. Now this is not a quick fix nor does it fix the initial cause of the problem ( the patch on the 24th) but it did work for me and actually took care of the no sound bug as well.

First Un-install Sw:Tor and update all drivers and Windows
Next go to it's root directory usually c:/program files (x86)/electronic arts and delete this directory.
Now for the fun part Get a registry cleaner many can be found here
Now run the registry cleaner to remove all mention of SW:ToR from your computer.
Reboot your machine, defrag your HD to insure no remaining mention of SW:ToR is about.

Now re install SW;Tor with a fresh Download from this site or re install from Disk. Patch up and your done.

Yes this takes some time and has at least 25mb of download for fresh install or you sit around and complain to a CSR for who knows how long until they get it fixed. In the meantime I'm playing YOUR NOT.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.2GHz OC to 3.9GHz
16GB DDR3 2000 Kingston HyperX RAM
Dual 9800GT 2Gb ram SLI 600 MHz core clock OC to 705 MHz (120fps to 50 fps)
Asus M4N75TD NVIDIA 750a SLI chipset

ImariKurumi
04.28.2012 , 03:00 AM | #122
Hi getting loads of crashes every since patch on 27/04/2012.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tirvaak View Post
[*]Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
Quite frequent, around 5-8 times in an hour.
[*]Your DXDiag in Spoiler tags
Spoiler
[*]Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
Everytime i am in a Warzone, especially, riding speeder in WZ, Loading screen out of WZ, activating consoles/checkpoints in WZ, respawning in WZ.
[*]Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select.
Yes it is a crash to desktop, not D/C

FrankieCook
04.28.2012 , 03:20 AM | #123
Frequency of crashes around 5 an hour.

When the crashes occur varies, sometimes on loading screens sometimes on respawn sometimes just while Im playing.
Definitely a crash to desktop, always get the error message this program has stopped working.
Spoiler

kingcain
04.28.2012 , 04:07 AM | #124
In every 4-5 mins PC crashed.
Spoiler

During war zone and imperial fleet.

Darth-Piranha
04.29.2012 , 01:48 AM | #125
Same thing with me every few hours, game freezes, windows 7 reports game's not working, shuts down. The crash is too random to pinpoint the cause at least in-game.

My DxDiag
Spoiler
䷀䷀䷀□□◫◸

䷀䷀䷀□□▥◤

PhantomMalice
04.29.2012 , 02:27 AM | #126
Getting severe crash issues whenever there is a loading screen involved. Every time there is a loading screen like quest, Operation, area change etc. I get a CTD and Windows error message saying something along the line of Data Execution Prevention like SWTOR is some dangerous hack or something and my PC force it to quit to protect itself. Just last night it crashed at least 6 times in Explosive Conflict from zoning into the instance.

Spoiler

herold
04.29.2012 , 02:28 AM | #127
  1. Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
    every 1 - 2 hours
  2. Your DXDiag in Spoiler tags
    Spoiler
  3. Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
    nothing special, it happens no matter what I am doing or where I am
  4. Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select.
    this is indeed a crash to desktop as the game vanishes and after a minute or so I am looking at my desktop

Forsworn
04.29.2012 , 05:15 AM | #128
Crash to desktop about every 1.5-2 hours.

Can happen any time .. no specific action causes it. I generally get a slight stutter in action/sound like a major lag spike before it drops (only for a second or two though)

DX Diag below (hope I did the tags properly):

Spoiler

iSoldat
04.29.2012 , 09:53 AM | #129
1. Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
1 to 5 times per gaming session.
2. Your DXDiag in Spoiler tags
Spoiler

3. Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
Always while zoning in or out of an instance after a wipe, most noteably during raids or flashpoints, EV, EC, KP. While using external tools like Teamspeak or Mumble
4. Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select.
It's hard to tell if its a CTD, because it locks my PC without a BSD resulting in a hard reboot.

Errdegahr
04.29.2012 , 02:36 PM | #130
Crash to Desktop occurs about every 1.5-2 hours of play. If I restart the game its about the same.
Spoiler

Nothing specific seems to trigger it. The game just simply freezes for a couple seconds then crashes to desktop after a while.