Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Wonkifikcuf
04.15.2012 , 02:22 PM | #101
crashes are in no specific manner

but definatly happen more on my crafter then my alts

all things that open new ui windows usually does it

Spoiler

Redcorn
04.16.2012 , 06:55 AM | #102
dxdiag
Spoiler

Before the 1.2 patch my CTD happened only while zoning or when clicking into a NPC conversation. My HD light would go solid, and after a period of time on a frozen screen I would CTD. It would take a long time for the application processes to actually end and during this time my system is unusable. CPU does not look to be pegged, but memory is in high use.

After 1.2 the game has also begun to CTD during other times such as during combat or simply traveling in zone.

I have run chkdsk and have reinstalled the game but the CTD issues continue.

Gonfire
04.16.2012 , 07:24 AM | #103
Frequency of crashes: Loading my main character, everytime it gets about 3 quarters of the way it crashes. My main char is on tattooine.

Spoiler

really hope this gets fixed soon
TOR <3

shadobndr
04.17.2012 , 07:46 PM | #104
Frequency : 15 min to 45 min, never did this before patch 1.2 ever, i have played for the last 4 months without a hiccup.Random occurances in cutscenes, during fights, riding speeder, looking at map.

Installed latest drivers for AMD HD 7700, installed new sound drivers.
Ran windows update, re-ran windows updates for Windows 7.

Defragmented hard drive.
Ran Benchmark tests.

Ran Dxdaig

Spoiler

ClaudeTaylor
04.17.2012 , 08:55 PM | #105
MIne has crashed 12 times since sunday. Before that it was at least once a day . But now its worse. The frequency went up when i started coming to tatooine to do the world event dailies. The crashes have been happening, atleast everyhour. Especially when i travel by taxi from one point to anohter. Also when i swap from my level 50 Sith warrior (Claude) to my Bounty Hunter (Rolyat) . That happens during the loading screen. Basically it happens in the loading screen everytimel.I am on the vrook lamar server.

UPDATE: It is now 10:34 pm central time. I was standing on the station at the fleet trying to get infected. I got bored so i opened up my companion screen to send them on missions. I clicked on the archaeology on the top companion. I choose the level of missions (which was the one before teh level 50 missions) and all of a sudden the sound went out for a second , came back on then the game crashed.
Oh yea! Everytime it crashes i restart the game and when the i try to log in it says there is already an instance of swtor running. But there isnt. So i have to choose to close the other running swtor from a pop up message.
UPDATE: 11:53 pm central I left the fleet and headed to tatooine i clicked the door of my ship to land on tat. the blue bar made it about an inch and a half across and the little spinning thing in the lower right hand corner is still spinning but its not allowing me to exit the loading screen. I am having to ctrl+alt +delete to exit the game . Also the loading times are waaaaay to long im getting kicked out of warzones before i can spawn.

UPDATE: 12:05 am central time I finally got back in te game i clicked my character , clicked play and it started loading and crashed back to the character screen i clicked play again and it is again stuck int he loading screen
the game is officially not playable for me.

UPDATE: 2:20 am April 18th 2012 Im at the mos illa catina i finaly got into a warzone ( loading take s to long i get kicked before i can spawn). After i clicked to exit th warzone again the game crashed in the loading screen.
UPDATE: 2:52 April 19 2012 Ive been logged into my Bounty Hunter long enought to run todays world event dailies. I swapped to my warrior who was on the fleet station. I went to tatooine. The Game crashed while loading between my ship and tatooine.

I hope yall extend the world event so everyone having these problems gets a chance to get the items and titles they want.

Spoiler

shadobndr
04.19.2012 , 05:09 PM | #106
Heres a question. when did my crashes start?

Answer: after 1.2 legacy patch

Here is a part of what patch 1.2 gave us :
A new preference, "Character Texture Atlasing," is now available. Enabling this option increases the texture quality used when rendering character models.

Might this be a problem on your (ie SwTOR ) side not ours!!!!!????
I have tried all the fixes this forum suggests, ran win7 update, reinstalled AMD drivers, checked audio drivers, manually downloaded client, went into Swtor folder and did the fixes to the exe files,ran defragmenter, checked with benchmark software, ran dxdiag again. whew !! Everything i can think of, this is a new machine, less then 1 month old i bought to play the game i love and i cannot for the 2nd straight week, am i gonna get a refund for the 2 weeks i haven't played?

Tried all help in this forum i can, this game makes my computer hard reboot, i am at a loss since patch 1.2

Spoiler

TAIKO
04.19.2012 , 07:41 PM | #107
Spoiler

14:00 Login lvl 50 Artificer with lots of recipes and materials
14:10 Quick Travel = crash to desktop
14:36 Open Map = crash to desktop
14:50 Walking = crash to desktop
15:00 Walking = crash to desktop
Leave the game

Come Back later...
16:15 logIn
16:34 Fleet Pass = crash to desktop
Leave the game

19:15 Login lvl 1 Smuggler
Game without problems
21:00 Logout

22:17 Login Smuggler
Game without problems
3:00 Logout lvl 12 Smuggler

The problem is not on my computer.
If brute force doesn't solve your problem, You are clearly not using enough...

Febtober
04.20.2012 , 03:22 PM | #108
Spoiler

-Frequency of Crashes: Random, haven't been able to go longer than 2 hours of being logged in without it happening .
-Crash Triggers: Most common is trying to log over to a different character on the same server. I can log off fine, but on the loading screen for the other character, the game crashes to the desktop. Happens frequently when loading planet and warzone maps. Also happens at random when bringing up a window in game, such as mission log, crew skills, vendors. Also has happened when when a conversation is loading.
-The game exits to the desktop as if I had stopped it by using ALT+F4, or the windows task manager. I log back into the game and the server tells me that the character that I was logged in to when the game crashed is still logged in to the game and then I have to log into and back out of that character if I want to switch characters.

Also of note, before patch 1.2, this crash would happen only after 5-6 hours of game play. I have reset all my settings as close as possible to before patch 1.2, but that has not helped.

shadobndr
04.21.2012 , 04:03 PM | #109
107 with this entry and still no word, i mean WTH.
there are far more of the pop having these problems, Fix the game.

Magiko
04.24.2012 , 02:16 AM | #110
1. Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
Each 30-120 minutes, less time if more load screens in gameplay and almost no crashs if I stay in same area even for many hours

2. DXDiag in Spoiler tags:
Spoiler

Last crash event (OS Laguage = Portuguese BR)

Spoiler

3. Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.

Hard Disc in high activite is the trigger (often load screens but in rare cases PvP in open world with 50 players or more around)

4 .Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select.

Yes indeed crashs to desktop. No Internet problems, never saw the server screen or any other message but "the SWTOR.exe app must be closed" kind of message.
Magikus Lorekeeper

"...Death, yet the Force."