Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

uziforyou
03.08.2012 , 11:45 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Brickabrack View Post
Quite a pickle BioWare is in. If they work extra long to make sure their content is solid, people complain. If BioWare puts out content without taking extra time to make sure the content is solid, people complain.

Actually I wouldn't call it a pickle. I'd call it a catch.
Truth.

No matter what Bioware does there will be complainers or people just not satisfied with what's going on with the game. We all have the same choices, play and enjoy the game as it is or go do something else.
"When you're bleeding out in a ditch on some muckball planet it's not headquarters that comes to save you, it's the guy next to you."

Viashivon
03.08.2012 , 11:50 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Delphis View Post
I am shocked that BW released a game that requires a full skill reset within 4 months. I had much higher expectations for Bioware and the fact that this game was in development and beta testing for so long.
Rift had multiple skill resets for different classes within a shorter time period than this. It's better to have resets than to have to pay to reset for the change. The only thing I wish all of the MMO companies would do is let you see where your skills are prior to the reset so you have an idea of what you vs. what you need to change.

mangarrage
03.08.2012 , 11:52 AM | #33
For the record BH is not getting nerfed they are getting adjusted to be doing what they were intended to do as opposed to where they are now just completely ignoring a certain % of armor automatically

Tanviper
03.08.2012 , 12:12 PM | #34
WOW had a few skill reset as well. This isn't something to worry about. It's a new game, and it will have growing pains.

Anzel
03.08.2012 , 12:28 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
You're assuming that the changes are all severe, some of them could just be very minor but they've decided to give the free point refund anyway. I say that with a pinch of salt.
I truly hope you're right. Some of us SWG refugees have been so abused that we are extremely sensitive to this stuff.
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

Anzel
03.08.2012 , 12:31 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Ogadai View Post
GASP They are going to make me pick my talents again, and after that i only get 1 free one every 7 days to change it besides the fact that i could also just pay for it myself!!! THE HORROR!!!

Seriously, A) No one has said respec, its still rumor B) even if we have to "respec" if they change ONE talent in the tree, the whole tree needs to be reset for fairness to players. You act like having to respec is like walking through the desert on 1 canteen of water. C)Every 60-90 days? Man did i miss respecing again at the 2 month interval? Oh wait, no i havent because we havent had to yet. God forbid they try to balance up the underperfoming classes (pure DPS specs i'm looking @ you!) and make them have to respec since they're useless talents get replaced.
Changing classes around to the point where a respec is needed by all players is "horrible" to say the least. We invest both time and money into playing our characters based on the current rule set of the game. When that is changed so dramatically and so often it can sometimes negate your investment in the game.

"So go play something else" you say? Well that's exactly what me and 300,000 or so of my closest friends did over at SWG. Everyone left. Everyone.
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

Elyxin
03.08.2012 , 12:34 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
I'll give them a pass to do a full balance pass once, especially because I do feel there are some significant issues with the balance between classes. However, if they don't have the balance "mostly" right, and we see another major revision in another 3-4 months, I will have to wonder what's going on.

As for SWG....they completely gutted their game and changed it. I doubt we'll see anything so major.
I understand where most are coming from with the frustration. My Jugg is my main... been waiting since launch to see how they approach balancing my favorite class. And Im sure smugg/agents are in a similar boat.

But one Pass? WoW almost completely redid their classes at least 2-3 times each. It never stopped people from griping (as well as giving constructive feedback mind you), and it never stopped the "balance" bandwagon. And people certainly didn't leave in "droves" either.

Personally I shudder at the word balance now. it sounds good, but I've seen far too many MMO's destroy the nature of the individual classes for the sake of "balance" make sure all classes are effective is good. but we have to be careful of balance...but that's off the subject.

I think so far they're doing a great job in response...those that feel like they are going to give Bio "one more chance" can certainly do so...those that leave because they are dissatisfied have that right. But I'm enjoying the game, and will continue to do so. And I highly doubt Bio will suddenly change the game just for those who feel that they can bully Bio into appeasing them.

-Fritz-
03.08.2012 , 12:42 PM | #38
you guys are really going off into your own little worlds.

he said there will be balance changes for all classes in 1.2

that was it, the end. no details, nothing.

...and people just went off on their own little stories and turned it into some dramatic thing.

you know last i checked every mmo game out there has class balance changes on pretty much every patch that comes out.

this is not something new and scary.

Technohic
03.08.2012 , 12:45 PM | #39
Hmm... I enjoy my characters classess now AND am excited to see the changes. From SWG, I think I see it more as the expertise type tweaks they were doing toward the end more than the complete system change of the CU and NGE.

Refreshing and updating a living breathing MMO is good. Gutting it completely; not so good.

Holskabard
03.08.2012 , 12:45 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatzimaus View Post
This isn't a single-player game where you can just mothball it for a month until a big patch comes out to fix it; we're paying monthly subscriptions here and once we stop paying, we're not coming back.
Why not? I've been playing multiple mmorpgs in the same period of time for years now.
What until recently was my main game I got a lifetime sub for, atm I'm mainly playing SWTOR but will check back in that game when the next patch hits. A few months backs I reactivated my Rift sub for 2 months to check what had changed. Last year I even reactivated my FFXI sub that I hadn't played for 5 years or so.
I don't see why a game needs to be single player to mothball it. The stuff you might have "missed" during you absence in an mmorpg is usually caught up with a week or 2 anyways.
Casually Hardcore since 1999