Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Master-Nala
03.07.2012 , 05:55 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by IasonEvan View Post
I have gotten to the point where this game has become a past time for me til GW2 comes out. It's sad too. I have been following this game since day 1 when the forums launched for this game in '08. Don't get me wrong, I like the game plenty. The balance getting pushed back to April ticked me off. Not a huge deal, but I expected BW to have their biz in order, and they didn't.
Do you really believe GW2 won't have many of the same growing pains?

I'm looking forward to GW2 as well, but I have no illusions that the game will be flawless or anything close.

GeorgZoeller
03.07.2012 , 07:42 PM | #22 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
There are balance adjustments to all classes in Game Update 1.2.

Details should be available as soon as 1.2 hits the Public Test Server.

I will abstain from discussing details before that happens for the simple fact that without having the big picture (e.g. the sum of all changes), discussion is moot.

-- Georg

Coldin
03.08.2012 , 11:07 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post

I will abstain from discussing details before that happens for the simple fact that without having the big picture (e.g. the sum of all changes), discussion is moot.

-- Georg
Thanks for the response Georg. Can you answer how soon is soon for 1.2 being on the PTS?

Anzel
03.08.2012 , 11:13 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post

-- Georg
This is the kind of thing that will drive subscribers away in a hurry. I already suffered through the SWG Combat Balance/Combat Upgrade/Combat Revamp and then the NGE. I watched as all of my items were "balanced" several times over. I was forced to "respec" upon logging in how many times?

Have we already forgotten why the previous MMO with the Star Wars IP failed? Let me repeat that again. A MMO with the STAR WARS IP. FAILED. MISERABLY. Remember why? Should we just start working on another EMU?
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

SWImara
03.08.2012 , 11:19 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
This is the kind of thing that will drive subscribers away in a hurry. I already suffered through the SWG Combat Balance/Combat Upgrade/Combat Revamp and then the NGE. I watched as all of my items were "balanced" several times over. I was forced to "respec" upon logging in how many times?

Have we already forgotten why the previous MMO with the Star Wars IP failed? Let me repeat that again. A MMO with the STAR WARS IP. FAILED. MISERABLY. Remember why? Should we just start working on another EMU?
Name a single MMO that balance has not been an ongoing issue in, particularly class-based games. Your abilities will change over time, this is not only the nature of playing MMOs but basically the nature of playing any game online.

Anzel
03.08.2012 , 11:26 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by SWImara View Post
Name a single MMO that balance has not been an ongoing issue in, particularly class-based games. Your abilities will change over time, this is not only the nature of playing MMOs but basically the nature of playing any game online.
I completely agree that this is the nature of all MMO's. I get that. My problem however, is making changes so dramatically (that they require everyone to respec) and so frequently (60-90 day intervals) that players give up trying to enjoy the game.

So yes, this happens in every MMO however players are much MUCH less tolerant as a result.
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

Kabaal
03.08.2012 , 11:33 AM | #27
I completely agree that this is the nature of all MMO's. I get that. My problem however, is making changes so dramatically (that they require everyone to respec) and so frequently (60-90 day intervals) that players give up trying to enjoy the game.

So yes, this happens in every MMO however players are much MUCH less tolerant as a result.
You're assuming that the changes are all severe, some of them could just be very minor but they've decided to give the free point refund anyway. I say that with a pinch of salt.
Kabaal 50 Juggernaut | Scotsmania 50 Vanguard | Hurricane 50 Sorcerer
Furian 50 Sentinel | Furķan 50 Commando
Scotsmania 50 Shadow

Coldin
03.08.2012 , 11:37 AM | #28

I'll give them a pass to do a full balance pass once, especially because I do feel there are some significant issues with the balance between classes. However, if they don't have the balance "mostly" right, and we see another major revision in another 3-4 months, I will have to wonder what's going on.

As for SWG....they completely gutted their game and changed it. I doubt we'll see anything so major.

Ogadai
03.08.2012 , 11:38 AM | #29

GASP They are going to make me pick my talents again, and after that i only get 1 free one every 7 days to change it besides the fact that i could also just pay for it myself!!! THE HORROR!!!

Seriously, A) No one has said respec, its still rumor B) even if we have to "respec" if they change ONE talent in the tree, the whole tree needs to be reset for fairness to players. You act like having to respec is like walking through the desert on 1 canteen of water. C)Every 60-90 days? Man did i miss respecing again at the 2 month interval? Oh wait, no i havent because we havent had to yet. God forbid they try to balance up the underperfoming classes (pure DPS specs i'm looking @ you!) and make them have to respec since they're useless talents get replaced.

GnatB
03.08.2012 , 11:44 AM | #30
You guys DO realize, that even if they remove a single skill (or replace it) because of the whole tree system they'd HAVE to reset those players skill tree?

Not to mention the fact that resetting the tree isn't a big deal in this game. They already reset the cost to 0 when it's been 7 days (or more) since the last one. Heck, they could throw in an extra free reset every patch just for kicks and it really wouldn't be a big deal.