Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

silky_soft_
03.10.2012 , 09:07 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Manigma View Post
That's odd, I've never seen them as a "problem" class, perhaps there are no good players on my server
i guess you dont bro, there are some awesome ones of swiftsure. we and our mirrors tend to burn through people. you know who the trash ones are pretty quick when you do 500k and they cant manage 150k with fewer deaths.
wtb silence skill
wtb solo and 4 man ranked warzones
wtb cross server que
wtb 1 united server

CrunkShizzle
03.10.2012 , 11:43 PM | #122
i just fear that the community has put to much hope into 1.2 and if bioware doesnt live up to peoples expectations(which i doubt they could).that people will choose the unsubscribe option and not the be patient and relize that 1 patch isnt going to be solve 100 percent of the problems in the game and be like what they first thought it was gonna be

i mean,ive been around enough mmorpgs and been thru enough patches to know that they generally are gonna make the game better yeah.but i doubt its going to make the game as good as people are thinking its going to be

ProfessorWalsh
03.12.2012 , 12:38 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
Apparently Georg said at the summit that sent/mara are too strong in a good player's hands, so we should be expecting adjustments of some sort to them.
If he said that then... I dunno... I think I lost a little faith in BioWare if that is the case. The Sentinel and the Marauder are absolute nightmares to play properly. I had to buy an $80 mouse just to do it.

Am I very powerful? YES.

Do I have to work a MILLION TIMES HARDER than other players? YES!

So long as BioWare requires Sentinel players to either have evolved a sixth finger or to purchase expensive peripherals to make the class work up to par with a Trooper or Bounty Hunter who can one click their way to victory then they darn sure need to remain the hands down best DPS in the game.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

tXHereticXt
03.12.2012 , 02:00 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by metalgearyoda View Post
Or play mass effect 3.

No don't do that, it aint even finished yet.

subrosian
03.12.2012 , 02:43 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Manigma View Post
That's odd, I've never seen them as a "problem" class, perhaps there are no good players on my server
They're easily the most powerful class in PVP.

Some Maras have made the argument that "because we have so many buttons, we should be more powerful"... but class balance doesn't really work that way. Right now they're too powerful, as they have some of the best consistency against everything, regardless of spec.

The general public tends to obsess over things like stuns (...this isn't Everquest Online Adventures, you're going to get stunned if you try to solo the entire enemy team - hint), tracer missile and force lightning... which is odd because overall these are not the significant issues facing skilled players.
subrosian
<Epitome>
epitomeraiding.com

subrosian
03.12.2012 , 02:48 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post

then they darn sure need to remain the hands down best DPS in the game.
It doesn't work that way. Balance is balance. I would LOVE to get another 30 buttons if it means my DPS output can be higher. I play the game 40+ hours a week, I have no problem learning a rotation *regardless of how complex* or a priority system that runs 40 buttons deep, not a problem, it's just a curve and at some point I will be on the other side.

The problem with giving players that option is: you're forcing all skilled players to play that class (if every class does 100% DPS, and that class does 150% DPS, you literally have no choice) and you're creating a brick wall to playing PVP. Not every player wants a 40-button priority queue, nor it is appropriate for every class to play that way.

When you say to a player "because you enjoy complexity and challenge, we'll make the top-end of your class OP", you break the game completely. The good players play that class, and the less skilled players simply quit the game because that one class is unbeatable.
subrosian
<Epitome>
epitomeraiding.com

ichime
03.12.2012 , 03:31 AM | #127
Great, then make every other class as intensive as the sentinel/marauder if you insist on nerfing sent damage.

That way sents will continue destroying bad players, but the actual great players on other classes will be able to counter them.
Sent/marau complexity should be held as a standard of gameplay for every other AC: high learning curve and a huge difference in results between a bad player, a decent player and a great player. Not the other way around.

hadoken
03.12.2012 , 07:00 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
If he said that then... I dunno... I think I lost a little faith in BioWare if that is the case. The Sentinel and the Marauder are absolute nightmares to play properly. I had to buy an $80 mouse just to do it.

Am I very powerful? YES.

So long as BioWare requires Sentinel players to either have evolved a sixth finger or to purchase expensive peripherals to make the class work up to par with a Trooper or Bounty Hunter who can one click their way to victory then they darn sure need to remain the hands down best DPS in the game.
Didn't think you had much faith in BioWare to begin with, given your post history.

I understand you have a problem playing the class (and a lot of people do, apparently) but that doesn't mean it should be the defacto king. Honestly I haven't found it hard at all, harder than the other classes certainly but the other classes are EASY (and I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse :P).

Technohic
03.12.2012 , 07:26 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by ichime View Post
Great, then make every other class as intensive as the sentinel/marauder if you insist on nerfing sent damage.

That way sents will continue destroying bad players, but the actual great players on other classes will be able to counter them.
Sent/marau complexity should be held as a standard of gameplay for every other AC: high learning curve and a huge difference in results between a bad player, a decent player and a great player. Not the other way around.
I don't think I would want that after playing on a Maruader. That Marauder who is deadly in the right hands suddenly becomes LOL when ranged classes become just as deadly in the right hands.

Thats also why I hesitate to say whether Marauders should be nerfed in the first place, though. Ranged is greater than melee with multi-level platforms in which you can fall/be knocked off.

Serrowherrow
03.12.2012 , 07:50 AM | #130
Because the only thing we need to do is nerf melee even further to insure ranged superiority.

Why don't we just give all ranged class an in-combat 50% speed boost over melee classes, and instant-cast on the run too while we're at it.