Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Coldin
03.09.2012 , 12:12 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
The problems they have in this game are unique to MMOs, that is my point. They're also not problems that even experienced MMO makers fix (game balance - what MMO is perfectly balanced? none).

They actually have a pretty good balance in this game, honestly. I don't expect 1.2 to bring major nerfs or buffs, because neither is needed.
That's your opinion. It's also debatable what defines a "major nerf or buff". I personally considered the nerf to Flechette Round/K.O./Shoot First all rolled into one update to be a major nerf.

I really don't like large nerfs or buffs either. They just make it harder for things to actually get into a good balance.

HinjuMaspo
03.09.2012 , 12:13 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
One thing that I was really hoping would come out of the Guild Summit was more information on what class balances would be taking place in 1.2. There's been some hints here and there that changes are coming. IGN even reported that Jedi Knights will be receiving some new skills, while Bounty Hunters will be receiving a nerf. In fact, entire skill trees are changing so greatly they're actually refunding our skill points for free.

However we have yet to see any details about this. With 1.2 being pushed out to early April, it's becoming more difficult for me to remain patient. In particular with the reduction to damage to Scoundrel Scrapper damage, and the relative silence of Bioware to concerns about the classes effectiveness in Operations and PVP. I'm not eager to have to wait another month to find out how classes will be changing to become more balanced, and I'm sure many others are becoming impatient as well.

All of the other 1.2 changes and additions sound great so far, but they won't mean much to me if certain classes are still inherently better than others. Let's hear some information about what 1.2 will be doing to classes in particular, and don't skimp on the details.
The reason this game failed at launch was what you wish to propogate, a quick realease. Let them work it out, get your gear while you wait. It isnt that bad, WoW was the same when it first came out, so are most games. Be patient, you investment will pay off.
Endzeit-Ancorhead
Sixth in progression-server

Coldin
03.09.2012 , 12:26 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by HinjuMaspo View Post
The reason this game failed at launch was what you wish to propogate, a quick realease. Let them work it out, get your gear while you wait. It isnt that bad, WoW was the same when it first came out, so are most games. Be patient, you investment will pay off.
I'm self admitted an impatient person. I'm actually not asking for a quick release. I can wait till April for 1.2. I just want some more info, some details on their plans for class balance. GeorgZeoller makes it sound like the balance pass is already pretty much done, they just want to let us see it all at once instead of piece-meal. If that's the case, then get us some preliminary patch notes. Let the community see that the devs are indeed listening.

Darth_Solrac
03.09.2012 , 12:29 PM | #94
Will this affect my Sorc. at all?
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Onager
03.09.2012 , 12:39 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
Will this affect my Sorc. at all?
Guaranteed. I'm expecting some kind of nerf to hybridization (Like a specification of what spells can be made instant by Wrath), the Conveyance fix and possibly some other healing-related nerfs, and for a change to either Shock's or Project's animation timing to make them the same.
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

Darth_Solrac
03.09.2012 , 12:50 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Onager View Post
Guaranteed. I'm expecting some kind of nerf to hybridization (Like a specification of what spells can be made instant by Wrath), the Conveyance fix and possibly some other healing-related nerfs, and for a change to either Shock's or Project's animation timing to make them the same.
Will it cost anything extra?
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

lollermittens
03.09.2012 , 12:53 PM | #97
Word has been leaked from the Guild Summit that the expected balance changes are much, much more extensive that what they've related to IGN.

Essentially, every class is going to have their talents trees re-designed and hence why everybody will have all of their talent points refunded for free upon the introduction of 1.2

Expect broad sweeping changes regarding all classes.

Coldin
03.09.2012 , 12:53 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
Will it cost anything extra?
Fact is, we don't know yet. All we have is speculation.

Coldin
03.09.2012 , 12:56 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by lollermittens View Post
Word has been leaked from the Guild Summit that the expected balance changes are much, much more extensive that what they've related to IGN.

Essentially, every class is going to have their talents trees re-designed and hence why everybody will have all of their talent points refunded for free upon the introduction of 1.2

Expect broad sweeping changes regarding all classes.
I did expect to hear/see more leaks from the guild summit. Didn't all the players there get to play 1.2? Of course they probably all had to sign an NDA, and I think they were closely watched to not take pictures.

Amatiste
03.09.2012 , 01:33 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Sirsri View Post
Everyone should at a minimum be able to successfully complete normal mode raid and all hard modes, and should be able to meaningfully participate in general pvp.
This one statement irked me. No, not everyone needs to know how to raid or pvp. There is a significant section of gamers that do neither of these and never want to. I have 7 years exp in graphical mmos, and a few years of text-based. Never once has the company held my hand to teach me to play, I learned by doing. I help my guildies understand what they need to do when we team, and oh my god, we might make mistakes, but the learning is fun. My guildmates will rarely group out of our guild, but one of em, and me, do sometimes join others. I have raided in LOTRO and COH (if ya can call those raids) and i just did what was asked of me. Most raid leaders ive worked with would explain the strats, and the why. Seems silly to think out of the box everyone will know exactly what to do, whats the point in new games then. If they are all the same so everyone knows every strat and tactic, then why not stay in one, and never play anything else.