Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What was the deal with NGE for SWG?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
What was the deal with NGE for SWG?

Xanikk
03.07.2012 , 11:20 AM | #1
Everywhere I heard the patch that introduced new game enhancement for star wars galaxy was a terrible betrayal and horrible. People said subscribers left in flocks.

I can't find much of anything about NGE on the star wars wiki, can someone give me a detailed explanation on why this patch was so bad and how it caused so many people to quit? I have never played SWG but it has intrigued me.

Wolfninjajedi
03.07.2012 , 11:30 AM | #2
It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, at first? Ya ok I can go with it being bad. But over time when more and more content was introduced it became a nice playable game, not like it once was but it kept those who sill played happy. Those that left never gave it a chance, or did then left but never bothered to check up on all the updates and everything afterwards. But those that stayed, enjoyed it for what it is.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Roguewiz
03.07.2012 , 11:30 AM | #3
The NGE fundamentally changed the game from a skill based, free form system, to some hodgepdoge Everquest-esque wannabe Level based system. It simplified the game and made the Jedi a class, which pissed off a lot of people because it was originally a long quest and require a lot of xp to actually start acquiring abilities. I was Force Sensative when the NGE and CU went live.

In any case, it took away the enjoyment that was SWG. The ability to combine multiple skills to make your own "build" was quite enjoyeable. I had the most fun as a Combat Medic/Pistoleer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies
Quote:
The game has gone through two major "upgrades": the "Combat Upgrade" (CU) and later the "New Game Enhancement" (NGE), its final form. Gameplay mechanics for combat and armor/weapon systems received a major update in April 2005 when SOE released the Combat Upgrade that replaced a system that allowed players with combat professions to stack defensive abilities from various skill sets, while also fixing an exploit that allowed players to have their character attack freshly spawning non-player characters (NPC) and creatures while away from their computers in order to gain combat skill experience. The New Game Enhancements was implemented in November 2005. Major changes included the reduction and simplification of professions, simplification of gameplay mechanics, and Jedi becoming a starting profession
Raquelis - 50 Inquisitor (Darkness Assassin)
Relixandria - 40 Bounty Hunter (Bodyguard Mercenary)
"Not Evil, Just Misguided"
-- The d'Andraste Legacy --

Emencie
03.07.2012 , 11:32 AM | #4
NGE was the patch issued November 2005, It is widely and incorrectly stated as what killed Galaxies. The Game was leaking subs well before NGE came out and it was in fact in response to the falling numbers of subscriptions. After NGE a new playerbase was introduced to the game and it went on with a healthy amount of subscriptions for 6 more years.

the servers were only closed after Lucas Arts and SOE "mutually" decided there was no need for 2 Star Wars MMOs on the market.

The servers were shut down on December 15, 2011 a few days before the release of SWTOR. Not because of NGE

TKMaster
03.07.2012 , 11:41 AM | #5
New Game Ehancments didnt kill SWG, the community and piss poor game design did...though tbh it was a final nail in the coffin.

Anyways, to describe the NGE....

Imagine you had played TOR for 2 years+, then with no warning, no notice, nothing but rumors from players that got banned on the spot.....Bioware took the game down for a few days and removed your class and forced you pick another one, made all your items obsolete, and fundamentally changed the game play of TOR. That was the NGE for SWG.

Roccobb
03.07.2012 , 12:02 PM | #6
I left because of nge. Not even a year before, they released the combat upgrade, which really upset players. They refused to listen to their paying customers on what we wanted. A day after a new expansion came out, they released nge without warning. I was on the forums daily, and never even saw a hint of it. I was pissed that i spent so long playing this game I loved, and they ruined it. A few days later, they announced we could get our money back for the expansion pack if we cancelled within a week. That is why I ddn't stick around. I was upset at how they treated customers again. I wanted it to be clear, that as a paying customer, my input matters. If the only way to get my money back was to give the new, very very broken system only a few days tryout, then so be it. I loved that game. Most of my time was spent in space. I want that type of flying here. I hope every company has learned from soe. Listen to your customers.

Riotus
03.07.2012 , 12:06 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
New Game Ehancments didnt kill SWG, the community and piss poor game design did...though tbh it was a final nail in the coffin.

Anyways, to describe the NGE....

Imagine you had played TOR for 2 years+, then with no warning, no notice, nothing but rumors from players that got banned on the spot.....Bioware took the game down for a few days and removed your class and forced you pick another one, made all your items obsolete, and fundamentally changed the game play of TOR. That was the NGE for SWG.
not only that, they also completely changed the game. In pre nge SWG you leveled skills, not character levels. IE if i wanted to be a better shot with my pistol i went out and used it and as i used it i leveled my pistol skill. They changed it to character lvls like everything else to compete with wow.

RagnarokJC
03.07.2012 , 01:57 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, at first? Ya ok I can go with it being bad. But over time when more and more content was introduced it became a nice playable game, not like it once was but it kept those who sill played happy. Those that left never gave it a chance, or did then left but never bothered to check up on all the updates and everything afterwards. But those that stayed, enjoyed it for what it is.
Yeah, all 5 of them had a blast playing on near-empty servers. The NGE basically killed SWG, even though it took a few years to finally lie down and die.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

Wolfninjajedi
03.07.2012 , 02:00 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
Yeah, all 5 of them had a blast playing on near-empty servers. The NGE basically killed SWG, even though it took a few years to finally lie down and die.
Ya...ok sure 5 players. There was far more then 5 but to each his own. Lasting almost a decade even with the updates/changes isn't a failure in my book.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Varangian
03.07.2012 , 02:12 PM | #10
Star Wars Galaxies was dying. People can say what they want but the game was collapsing upon itself. They were bleeding some 10000 subscription per month and so, in their desperation, SOE devised the New Game Enhancements.

For the people that loved SWG before the NGE, it was ruined and they left. However, the NGE opened the door for more people to come in. This allowed the game to get a reasonable population and allowed it to survive a couple of more years.

People may have hated SWG after the NGE but the fact of the matter is, without it the game would have died years before it was actually shut down.