Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Request from the new guy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Request from the new guy

Dataminded
03.06.2012 , 09:57 PM | #1
Hello,

First of all, thanks for your hard work thus far.

Can we please look at the crew skill type requirements? Why can I have 3 gathering skill but only 1 crafting skill? I have zero interest in gathering and would prefer to focus on crafting gear, tracking down schematics and selling on the GTN. I feel like that playstyle greatly contributes to having a vibrant player economy. Most people won't put in the work to maximize their crew skill but they will click on every plant to get materials.

I've never been a gatherer and I don't plan to start now. At the moment, I have my crafting skill which can make gear well above my level and two other skills that I'll never bother with. The people from whom I have bought mats appreciate what I do as do the people who will buy my hard to find mods/armorings/etc.

Thanks!

Baelish
03.07.2012 , 03:19 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Dataminded View Post
Why can I have 3 gathering skill but only 1 crafting skill?
Because then people would just make 2 level 10 Alts with 3 crafting skills each, and have their mains be all Gathering. The mains are out in the world, picking up stuff from nodes, all the nodes. The alts are just sitting there, grinding to 400. Nobody would need to buy anything from anyone.

Battilea
03.07.2012 , 03:58 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Dataminded View Post
Can we please look at the crew skill type requirements? Why can I have 3 gathering skill but only 1 crafting skill? I have zero interest in gathering and would prefer to focus on crafting gear, tracking down schematics and selling on the GTN. I feel like that playstyle greatly contributes to having a vibrant player economy. Most people won't put in the work to maximize their crew skill but they will click on every plant to get materials.
There's only a few tradeskills, so pretty easy to just make a few alts and cover them all.

And, beyond that, you don't want to rely on buying purple mats off the exchange. It is too pricy, especially if you buy up the small supply that's there, prices go up fast. So you'll want mission skills. But for T6, that won't cut it by itself. You'll want to run the wealthy missions. And while you can buy those, there's a limited quantity and buying lots will also jack up the price, so you're going to want slicing, so you can get your own in addition to the ones you buy off the exchange. And you'll want multiple slicers.

Also worth noting that low level mats are often found in limited quantity on the exchange at silly prices. Being able to gather while you level makes leveling the skill much easier.

I keep 1 of each mission skill, have 2 (and soon to be 3) 400 slicers, and 1 of each crafting skill, except for scavenging, which I have 2 of, so that I can run Control Measures as often as possible, since Zal Alloy is used more than Durasteel and consequently costs more.

Anyway, that's been my experience. I pretty much gather very little when at 400 skill, but most of what I use, either directly or indirectly (the missions). I mostly run slicing, slicing, and more slicing. Except for Control Measures, of course.

Raani
03.07.2012 , 05:21 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Baelish View Post
Because then people would just make 2 level 10 Alts with 3 crafting skills each, and have their mains be all Gathering. The mains are out in the world, picking up stuff from nodes, all the nodes. The alts are just sitting there, grinding to 400. Nobody would need to buy anything from anyone.
Except you can already do this, but you need to run more level 10s to the Fleet. Whatever extra time you waste initially, you can make up by being able to grind multiple professions simultaneously. Since a level 10 only has one companion, grinding 3 skills to max, plus RE-ing, is very inefficient. Six level 10s with a profession each can max it much faster than 2 level 10s with 3 crafting professions each. You'd need to get your mules to about 30-ish for them to be as efficient, and not everyone can be arsed into it.

The reason why people stick mission skills and slicing on mules is because mules have zero access to high-level BoP recipes and mats. They're nice for selling low-level stuff, but you can't make crit weapons, Columi earpieces, or magenta crystals on them (I know some of these are obsolete right now, but they will probably get upgrades in further tiers).

Darcstarr
03.07.2012 , 08:37 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Raani View Post
Except you can already do this, but you need to run more level 10s to the Fleet. Whatever extra time you waste initially, you can make up by being able to grind multiple professions simultaneously. Since a level 10 only has one companion, grinding 3 skills to max, plus RE-ing, is very inefficient. Six level 10s with a profession each can max it much faster than 2 level 10s with 3 crafting professions each. You'd need to get your mules to about 30-ish for them to be as efficient, and not everyone can be arsed into it.

The reason why people stick mission skills and slicing on mules is because mules have zero access to high-level BoP recipes and mats. They're nice for selling low-level stuff, but you can't make crit weapons, Columi earpieces, or magenta crystals on them (I know some of these are obsolete right now, but they will probably get upgrades in further tiers).
But since you can only have 8 characters per server, having alts do all the craft skills has a much bigger impact since you only have 2 slots left for normal/gathering characters. If they removed the 1 craft restriction you'd have 2 characters cover the craft & 6 for normal/gathering use.

Khadroth
03.07.2012 , 08:49 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Baelish View Post
Actually it's the reverse. BW didn't want mains choosing 3 crafting profs, taking all the crew skill required exclusive endgame advantages to each as it would have made it "essential" to raiding/pvp. You can always buy mats in the short term and make a gatherer alt in the long term. They wanted to make crafting a unique part of the game, not just some min/maxing tool. Unfortunately they failed at that when their initial implementation was clearly only half-done (no artifice schems existing, biochem being so strong, RE being broken, etc).
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin