Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Unexperienced crafter : Do business, dont kill gtn !

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Unexperienced crafter : Do business, dont kill gtn !

Fozziwig
07.03.2012 , 08:35 PM | #61
Ugh. This thread was dead 3 months ago, and it should have stayed that way.

Idiocy is allowed.

/thread

khsolo
07.04.2012 , 08:14 AM | #62
I usually buy right away the cheaper purple implants that sell below cost and put them back in the GTN for a profit, about a week or so someone was selling a purple 45 or 49 implant for 4 k, i bought it right away and sold it the same day for 25 k

Its just how the market works, in the Fatman seems like the market is going really low now for almost everything, for Biochem is very hard to make good money when implants sell for just 15 k and exotech sell for 12 k a piece

Kframe
07.04.2012 , 08:24 AM | #63
Im new to the crafting thing, my cybertech is only lvl 317. How do i know how to price stuff? I dont want to have stuff so expensive that lvlers cant afford it. Is Pricing all about matierials cost? IS there a fast easy way to look up mat costs??

Wainamoinen
07.04.2012 , 08:53 AM | #64
I've seen these sort of posts in MMOs before - what you can take from it is that if there are people using the GTN (AH/marketplace/whatever) enough to wail about others ruining their profits by selling cheap, then that's evidence that a functioning economy has arrived.

Which isn't to say you should take the complaint itself seriously.

They do remind me of a quote from Adam Smith (the original grandfather of economics, for those who don't know. A Scot who propounded free trade, had no illusions about men's motivations, and possessed a nice dry wit):

Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Smith
"Men of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices."
Hasa'diga Eewokai
Ilmarinen 60 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

Mithros
07.04.2012 , 09:00 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Kframe View Post
Im new to the crafting thing, my cybertech is only lvl 317. How do i know how to price stuff? I dont want to have stuff so expensive that lvlers cant afford it. Is Pricing all about matierials cost? IS there a fast easy way to look up mat costs??
A) Check the GTN for existing copies of the item that you are selling or equivalent items.

B) Check the GTN for raw materials to determine cost of harvestables. The only real consideration here is how much someone is willing to pay. They cost you nothing but the time to harvest them and, to be honest, that time is negligible on a per unit basis.

C) For blue mission materials it is just a matter of figuring out how many items you got after running X many missions vs. how much those missions cost you. If you run 10 missions that cost you 10K credits and you get 50 blues, then each of those blues cost you 200 credits.
Not that you should be happy to sell them for 200, but that is your actual cost.

D) Purples are a bonus. Those 10 missions that you ran could yield 20 purples, or they could yield 0.
The GTN will provide a suggestion, but do not feel beholden to anything.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The point is that the market can change. Just because player X thinks that some purple material is worth 10K doesn't mean that it really is, and you can make a lot of money yourself if you offer up a large quantity of that material at a lower price.
Mandatory referral link. Feel free to use it. It's free stuff.

Beta Squadron 157. The pixel lives on in our hearts.

ThunderVamp
07.04.2012 , 10:41 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Wizard_Thoarin View Post
The second problem is how missions seem to work. They really need to revamp the crew skill missions so that all missions for a tier show up and only get removed from the window when a companion is using that specific mission. Once a companion is out on a specific mission you should be able to tell the companion to run it multiple times similar to crafting items and let me queue it up 5 times so that I can send them off and forget about it for a while. Since those high tier missions can take 30 minutes to almost an hour, sending 4 or 5 companions off on missions that are going to take upwards of 4 hours to complete while I go to bed or work would improve their value.
I could really get behind this. I HATE needing a certain gemstone or something, and not only is it a lottery if I get the gemstone I need, but I can only send 2 companions for gemstones and then I have no more gemstone missions available at that level. Makes me not want to bother at all.

Telanis
07.04.2012 , 01:21 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by ThunderVamp View Post
I could really get behind this. I HATE needing a certain gemstone or something, and not only is it a lottery if I get the gemstone I need, but I can only send 2 companions for gemstones and then I have no more gemstone missions available at that level. Makes me not want to bother at all.
Just zone or send another companion on a fast level 1 mission, you'll get more. I regularly have 5 companions at once on level 6 gemstone missions.

Sammm
07.04.2012 , 02:35 PM | #68
Nah, everything's fine. Message to new crafters selling stuff on the GTN: keep selling low. I love it.