Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Unexperienced crafter : Do business, dont kill gtn !

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Unexperienced crafter : Do business, dont kill gtn !

KidRaid's Avatar


KidRaid
03.07.2012 , 10:32 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by pipehacker View Post
When selling I always accept the price the GTN-system suggests.

Honestly - I play the game for the story. I don't have the time nor the interest of studying the price-market.

I just see that I would gain more to sell it over GTN instead of selling it to a vendor. That's enough for me.

I understand the problem of the OP, but honestly - I don't care. (I really don't mean that offensive - for me it's just a game; If I have to start "studying"... it feels like "work" and not "fun" anymore.)
And that is fine.

It is doubtfull that if your focus is not in the money making market that you will flood the market with low priced item. If what you are selling is really in high demand you low priced one will be quickly taken off the market either by a lucky buyer or by a shrewed reseller that will see a profit.

If however the price of something crashes for good then it could be because the demand truly crashed. Again some will bet on the fact that the price crash is temorary and will buy the products low to try and sell them high later taking the risk that the market may stay low.

it is all good

OP: I think that you have to figure out what you price you are ready to sell at and if the price go below that then accept that you will not sell. Asking poeple to fix their price is a futile endeavour as 1. only a minority are actually on the boards and 2. If they are satisfied by selling low then no matter what you say they will keep on doing it.

Darth_Loki's Avatar


Darth_Loki
03.07.2012 , 10:42 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by sirwyst View Post
This is a desperate call to all NEW Crafters...:=(

I am not here to tell anyone to do anything, this is everyone responsibility. However, please be careful on your pricing and what you do to ensure you do not endanger GTN market price.

1) Purple and Blue items pricing
- Before putting on GTN an item you have RE, check the approx price of individual Mats. Happened to see some items listed at 2450 while it required like 5 Dragon Krayt MAT to build and each of them would cost you between 1k to 5k each ! This means the item you are selling 2.5k could cost you up to 25k to produce and not only you loose 22k in the operation but you totally destroy GTN market price list

2) Orange item
Same here and before you put on sell a nice orange item you learned from a schematic, check its market price please. I now see crafters putting some level 39 Phobium item at 1779 ! OMG !!!!! You could sell this from 10k to 25k at least......
Buy it and resell for profit. Market PvP!! FLIP IT!!!!

GnatB's Avatar


GnatB
03.07.2012 , 12:23 PM | #23
*shrug*

Pricing for as much as you possibly can get encourages competition, and will, long term, result in lower profits. I happen to prefer a long term stable income than a short term glut. Selling hundreds of things for 5k is far better than 20 for 10k, and then hundreds for 2k.

Half the reason I picked up the tradeskills on my alts I picked up was because the available stuff on the GTN was priced at your "25k" figure, and not at (what I consider) a more reasonable figure. One thing I've noticed in MMO's. Most crafters tend to dramatically overvalue their skill.

As for selling the orange lvl 39 item in question for 25k? That is DEFINITELY screaming to encourage competition. It probably doesn't cost much more than that to actually get the skill up, buy the schematic, and make the item themselves. And once they do? Well, they'll have the skill now... may as well make other stuff to sell too. There goes your market.

People won't tend to "just do it themselves" if it's only moderately "overpriced". When you're selling something at a rediculous profit... they will... and will in turn become additional competition.

ViperI's Avatar


ViperI
03.07.2012 , 01:35 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by sirwyst View Post
Any suggestion before I start to cry because on non experienced players destroying a great economy market.....:=)
There is no destroying a "great economy market," there is only bursting your own bubble of economic exploitation. Here's the thing about mats, just because they're selling on the GTN at one price, does not mean that that is the going rate to acquire said mat. In truth, the GTN price of a mat, even a rare mat, is an already inflated price and is not the cost that a crafter would pay to continually produce an item that uses said mat. Here's the thing, all of those mats can be acquired through crew skill missions at a fraction of what they sell for on the GTN. Even Mandalorian Iron I can get through UT for much cheaper than what they sell for on the GTN. If I'm going to craft anything that uses Mando Iron and hope to make a profit off reselling it, there's no way I'm going to go with the GTN price of Mando Iron.

I love undercutting people on the GTN. The fact is, your prices are probably too high to begin with and while you may get some suckers to buy from you, most people probably avoid the GTN altogether. If you're really so intent on price-fixing, then maybe you should start buying up all the low priced product and reposting it at the higher price. However, you risk ending up with a lot of unsellable product when it doesn't sell and people continue to undercut you.
Viper 1
Frozen In Carbonite

Battilea's Avatar


Battilea
03.07.2012 , 01:35 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by pipehacker View Post
When selling I always accept the price the GTN-system suggests.
Then you most likely don't craft. The suggested price for a crafted 49 purple earring, for example, is under half what a single bar of Mandy iron is valued at on my server. It wouldn't even pay for the cost of taking missions to get the iron. Taking suggested values for crafted items is not a viable strategy.

And if you aren't crafting, then a thread on crafted good prices doesn't really apply

darksidechemist's Avatar


darksidechemist
03.07.2012 , 01:38 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by sirwyst View Post
This is a desperate call to all NEW Crafters...:=(

I am not here to tell anyone to do anything, this is everyone responsibility. However, please be careful on your pricing and what you do to ensure you do not endanger GTN market price.

blah blah blah QQ blah blah QQ blah blah

Maybe we should create a Merchant Guild like in old time and control GTN pricing...

Any suggestion before I start to cry because on non experienced players destroying a great economy market.....:=)
Cool story! We won't sell anything without checking with you first!

Humanbeam's Avatar


Humanbeam
03.07.2012 , 01:40 PM | #27
Let me explain you how life works.

I will do none of those things and price my **** as I see fit. And everyone who undercuts will continue doing regardless of annoying threads on this QQ forum.
Thank you for your time.
(You should be thanking me for this enlightnening lecture.)
Chi non lavora non fa l'Amore

~-Io invece lavoro e mia moglie non me la da.

HannableKain's Avatar


HannableKain
03.07.2012 , 03:02 PM | #28
You must really hate me then. When I pull it to the sell slot I maybe put an extra 50 or 100 on it just to see if it sells.

I think the prices on the market are freak'n nuts anyway. I've seen a ton of schematics on there anywhere between 15- 25k some not even purple. Crazy considering there is no real craft going on just get the stuff and send your lacky out and get it and do it.

If it was more say a EQ or EQ2 type crafting, where you actually have to be there to do it and could not go out on quests then sure but prices are nuts. IMHO

NermalDetonator's Avatar


NermalDetonator
03.07.2012 , 03:56 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by HannableKain View Post
If it was more say a EQ or EQ2 type crafting, where you actually have to be there to do it and could not go out on quests then sure but prices are nuts. IMHO
This is worth mentioning. It was actually hard (or at least time consuming, so MMO hard at any rate) to get max skill in EQ (never played EQ2). You had to farm materials, figure out a recipe, deal with non-stacking mats and combine for a chance to make the item (and an even smaller chance to skill up). The ability to craft was much more valuable. Its practially free in comparison in TOR, so its naturally going to be valued much less.

sigurhal's Avatar


sigurhal
03.07.2012 , 04:03 PM | #30
Humans are so good at being greedy