Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Horrid FPS

MythicalMan
06.25.2012 , 11:37 AM | #771
While I don't have a high end system myself (older AMD Phenom x4, 8gb DDR2 RAM, NVidia GTX 560), I can pretty much push through most games at max settings, with an average of 45 - 60fps. This game literally killed my system, and I was lucky at times on low settings of getting any more than 20fps. Network latency is definitely not an issue, since I almost always sit at about 40ms. I spent pretty much all day yesterday tweaking settings, trying to find something that would give me playable frames. This is the 3rd time I've come back to the game since release, and was really hoping that this issue would be cleared up.

I ended up disabling in-game AA (which was an astronomical boost to FPS). Disabled in-game VSync, and left all other settings on High (including Shadows). Opened up NVidia Inspector (v1.9.6.6), and started adjusting my SW:ToR settings. Set AntiAliasing Compatibility to 0x0000F0C1 (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl), Antialiasing Mode to Override any application setting, Antialiasing Setting to 8x CSAA, and toggled FXAA to On. I also left the VSync setting to Default.

I then went an made sure to D3DOverider was set to force VSync and Triple Buffering for SW:ToR. Went and loaded up the game, and to my amazement, in outdoor areas in Drummond Kaas, I was achieving 47 - 60 FPS. In Kaas City was an average of 38 - 55 FPS. I'm not doing the whole PvP thing yet, so I can't report the numbers for that. With in game shadows set to Low, outdoor areas of Drummond Kaas averaged 56 - 60 FPS, and Kaas City averaged 44 - 60 FPS.

One thing I did notice however was that changing my Overall in-game setting between Very Low and High made absolutely no difference in FPS.

I can't say this solution will help everyone, but it is what worked for me. And I like I said, I'm not on a high-end system at all, but a 4 year old Processor and Motherboard.

NeoLoger
06.26.2012 , 11:40 AM | #772
the FPS gone worse after patch 1.3!!!
before the patch i had no problem whit my FPS but since the patch the game is unplayable.
I'm experiencing allot of random FPS drops and and some random freezes!
the game worked fine before the patch what happened?
i noticed the game is barley using the GPU around 50%-55%
before the patch the game was using up all of my GPU 95%-99% what did you do!!!!! FIX IT!
i whant to play!!

Demetriscy
06.26.2012 , 12:31 PM | #773
Wow...Finally patch 1.3 has some REAL optimisations...I was one of the old 5% veterans and I can honestly say 1.3 made the game very playable for me and now I'm considering resubscribing for good...

i5 2500k, ati 6950 (stock clocks), 8gb ram, win 7 64x, HDD 7,200rpm...running everything on Very High ay 1680x1050 native - smooth experience with the occasional drop in fps in very congested areas (but i get that standing in Stormwind - Outland anyway)....

Ritsi
06.27.2012 , 11:38 AM | #774
Is there any possibility that by "optimising" the game for some users, they make it run worse on others on whose systems SWTOR used to ran perfectly???
Pls fix the FPS issues with this game already....

Bendak-Jago
06.27.2012 , 11:48 AM | #775
Quote: Originally Posted by NeoLoger View Post
the FPS gone worse after patch 1.3!!!
before the patch i had no problem whit my FPS but since the patch the game is unplayable.
I'm experiencing allot of random FPS drops and and some random freezes!
the game worked fine before the patch what happened?
i noticed the game is barley using the GPU around 50%-55%
before the patch the game was using up all of my GPU 95%-99% what did you do!!!!! FIX IT!
i whant to play!!
I'm having the exact same issue, Been playing the game since launch with the same settings this whole time (medium), after installing 1.3 i've experience a HUGE fps drop. Used to be around 45-60, i'm not running at 20fps on fleet doing nothing. Not to mention 10fps in wz's. Any solutions would be most appreciated!
Akaani ni an chaaba ni.

Fight me and Fear me.

SgtWeirdo
06.27.2012 , 01:05 PM | #776
I'm running on an i7 2700 with 12gig ram and a gtx590 .. I normaly have 100 fps even with 150 people on the fleet and since yesterday I drop down to 10-20 fps after a bit and not even restarting helps to get rid of it again
It's either the patch or all these transfers are bringing the servers to their knees :-|

Bendak-Jago
06.28.2012 , 12:03 PM | #777
Solution! If you use Win7 this will most likely solve it for you. Right click on your swtor.exe go into compatibility, tick the box that says Run in compatibility mode, select Win exp Service pack 3. Start up the game and all should be normal once again. Not 100% sure why this worked, think it had something to do with the engine not liking win7. Hope this works for you Click here for better optimization and other solutions
Akaani ni an chaaba ni.

Fight me and Fear me.

Jemeh
06.28.2012 , 09:03 PM | #778
Okay, I've had all the problems people are talking about. I'd play and be getting anywhere from 35-60+ FPS then i'd randomly start getting drops to 11, 8, 5 etc. FPS for no apparent reason then spike to 50 then back to 14. My FPS were generally spiking and dipping like crazy. Changing settings made virtually no difference and I was convinced my CPU was bottlenecking me (it is but i've made massive progress). My specs are:

nVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 1GB
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 7550 @ 2.5GHz
3GB DDR2 RAM
Windows Vista 32-bit

I've been using the latest nVIDIA drivers (301.42) and I even tried testing the beta drivers (304.48 BETA). This made no difference so I even tried rolling back to the 296.xx drivers which, again, made no difference. I read somewhere on the nVIDIA forums that alot of the 500 series users were having these problems across numerous games (Diablo III, Battlefield 3 etc.) and they recommended rolling back to the 290.xx beta drivers. I uninstalled my old drivers in SAFE mode and installed the 290.xx drivers (again in SAFE mode). I've set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x in the nVIDIA control panel, preferred maximum performance in the power usage section and set it to single monitor display mose (it was set to multi-monitor display mode by default so definitely check that). Anyway i'm happy to report that i'm now at 45-60+ FPS consistantly and have seen nothing near what I was experiencing in terms of dips and spikes. I hope this helps a few people because it was hell with the erratic frames I was getting.

Bendak-Jago
07.01.2012 , 10:30 AM | #779
Quote: Originally Posted by Jemeh View Post
Okay, I've had all the problems people are talking about. I'd play and be getting anywhere from 35-60+ FPS then i'd randomly start getting drops to 11, 8, 5 etc. FPS for no apparent reason then spike to 50 then back to 14. My FPS were generally spiking and dipping like crazy. Changing settings made virtually no difference and I was convinced my CPU was bottlenecking me (it is but i've made massive progress). My specs are:

nVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 1GB
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 7550 @ 2.5GHz
3GB DDR2 RAM
Windows Vista 32-bit

I've been using the latest nVIDIA drivers (301.42) and I even tried testing the beta drivers (304.48 BETA). This made no difference so I even tried rolling back to the 296.xx drivers which, again, made no difference. I read somewhere on the nVIDIA forums that alot of the 500 series users were having these problems across numerous games (Diablo III, Battlefield 3 etc.) and they recommended rolling back to the 290.xx beta drivers. I uninstalled my old drivers in SAFE mode and installed the 290.xx drivers (again in SAFE mode). I've set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x in the nVIDIA control panel, preferred maximum performance in the power usage section and set it to single monitor display mose (it was set to multi-monitor display mode by default so definitely check that). Anyway i'm happy to report that i'm now at 45-60+ FPS consistantly and have seen nothing near what I was experiencing in terms of dips and spikes. I hope this helps a few people because it was hell with the erratic frames I was getting.
Can i ask what operating system you're using?
My solution may yet work for you if you use Win7
*Nvm*
Akaani ni an chaaba ni.

Fight me and Fear me.

Demetriscy
07.06.2012 , 06:56 AM | #780
Hi guys
Anyone running an AMD Crossfire setup notice that with vsync = on there is way too much stuttering? However when I minimise to desktop and open game again it runs fine, or if I am running in fullscreen (windowed) mode...

Rig:
2 x 6950
i5 2500k
8gb RAM
Win 7

EDIT: nevermind, fixed it