Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So it's not ok for "hardcores" to have gear progression?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
So it's not ok for "hardcores" to have gear progression?

jaakkeli
03.06.2012 , 10:39 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Sookie View Post
When the competetive elements of this game wants gear progression and character advancement it's because "we want to be carried by gear".
If you want gear progression, you're not competitive.

Quote:
Why can't us hardcore players have something to work for that actually takes effort and teamplay to get?
Right now the best ways to get your full set of gear are botting, afking and medal farming while ignoring the test of the team. Needless to say, botters, afkers and medal farmers love the system that gives botters, afkers and medal farmers an advantage.

Olympic
03.06.2012 , 10:41 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AstralProjection View Post
Root of your problem - You're speaking as if gear is the point of the game.

In fact, it's mostly what's wrong with these games.

Fun with your friends, or fun on your own (a new concept to the genre, but now valid) is the point of these games.

Not having fun - don't play. Want to be measured? Use the ranking system to feel that boost of e-peeny goodness. That's your achievement. I'm not one of those "the gear gap was impossible" people, but it's not like you need a greater advantage for already being better? That's the "elitist" community in these games coming out in the design, and I, for one, am glad it's dying.

If some FPS kid wants to come in and beat me, let him. I'll either school him in a whole new type of game, or bow to him respectfully when he wins. I don't need an advantage for having more playtime. Your brain is your advantage.
And here we have a great post representing a large part of the community that doesn't speak up so often... +1

Darth_Sookie
03.06.2012 , 10:42 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by EternalFinality View Post
By "progression" you really mean "I want to be more powerful and win easily" right?

You're hardcore. You already are more skilled than the casuals. You'll beat them with equal gear. Unless you're afraid that perhaps you won't?
The other teams in the ranked ladder will have the same gear. New gear is ONE fun aspect of mmorpgs. New items, trinkets, mods, finding the best combination, min maxing, tweaking. Its the meta game.

lethal_ghost
03.06.2012 , 10:42 AM | #14

Hell even COD and BF have gear progression.
I recon BF has alot more gear progression than this game
EU 2nd class player base

AstralProjection
03.06.2012 , 10:43 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Olympic View Post
And here we have a great post representing a large part of the community that doesn't speak up so often... +1
Thank you...I know it's sad...most of my guildies avoid the forums like the plague except for the "cooperative" parts of it. For some reason I still feel the need to hang around and try to defend sanity and reason at times. I appreciate the nod, it's easy to forget when you read these boards that everyone isn't an elitist nutjob that complains constantly, hates this game, and yet continues to play it.
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Softcore PVP with Hardcore Determination
Prophecy of the Five | Poet Warlord | International Guild

EternalFinality
03.06.2012 , 10:44 AM | #16
The other teams in the ranked ladder will have the same gear. New gear is ONE fun aspect of mmorpgs. New items, trinkets, mods, finding the best combination, min maxing, tweaking. Its the meta game.
And that's not what you're asking for. You're asking for "I want a new armor that is flat out more powerful than what I had, and more powerful than than the armor that my opponents have."

That's what you mean by progression. Not taking the available gear and mixing it up to produce a new combination. Don't even try to deny it.

MMornard
03.06.2012 , 10:46 AM | #17
When the competetive elements of this game wants gear progression and character advancement it's because "we want to be carried by gear".
Whereas causals feel they should have a clear progression path all the way up to the best gear for little to no effort.
That is both untrue and insulting. I'm a very casual player.

I don't CARE about gear. I don't PVP. You may play however you like.

I am, though, sick and tired of condescension because I lack a "killer leet gear" mindset.

EasymodeX
03.06.2012 , 10:46 AM | #18
Quote:
New gear is ONE fun aspect of mmorpgs. New items, trinkets, mods, finding the best combination, min maxing, tweaking. Its the meta game.
1. New gear is fine. It doesn't have to be more powerful.

2. Tweaking = reconfiguring gear, customizing gear. Switching gear between equally powerful alternatives. That's fine. It doesn't have to have more total stats though.

You sound terrible. Then again you're probably trolling and pretending to be completely terrible. Hard to tell since you're so convincing.
I can see things no one else can see. Do things no one else can do. Real things!

Darth_Sookie
03.06.2012 , 10:46 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AstralProjection View Post
Root of your problem - You're speaking as if gear is the point of the game.

In fact, it's mostly what's wrong with these games.

Fun with your friends, or fun on your own (a new concept to the genre, but now valid) is the point of these games.

Not having fun - don't play. Want to be measured? Use the ranking system to feel that boost of e-peeny goodness. That's your achievement. I'm not one of those "the gear gap was impossible" people, but it's not like you need a greater advantage for already being better? That's the "elitist" community in these games coming out in the design, and I, for one, am glad it's dying.

If some FPS kid wants to come in and beat me, let him. I'll either school him in a whole new type of game, or bow to him respectfully when he wins. I don't need an advantage for having more playtime. Your brain is your advantage.
As i said in an earlier post. It's ONE aspect that is also a fun one. It's the meta game of getting the best min-max outfit, finding new combinations when they release new trinkets and gear.
And it's an additional thing to work towards that lots of people enjoy.

YOUR oppinion is that it's "what's wrong" with mmorpgs. Others beleive it's a fun addition, one that you causuals have been trying to deny us all this time.

You guys have been crying your eyes out over the 5% stat disparity that BM gear offers over Champion gear.

YOU want to limit MY fun and my sense of progression.

KLinnear
03.06.2012 , 10:46 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Olympic View Post
I will add my +1 to this as well. PvP used to be about fun in older games I played. Not about gear chasing. I have no problem with them adding titles, apperence gear, etc, but stats should remain equal to create real competition. It isn't competition if you are only winning because of your gear, and the new level 50's just have to keep sucking until they get their gear.

I do feel for the fact that a lot of you worked hard to get the gear, but Bioware should never have implemented this system to start with.