Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New "Very low" graphics option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New "Very low" graphics option

QuiJonPed
03.08.2012 , 07:13 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by verydanger View Post
This sounds great dude. May I ask what CPU / RAM / OS you are using?
Sure:

AM3 quad core 3Ghz
4GB DDR3 PC16000
1GB HD6850
SATA III Disk
Win7 x64

Not the greatest, but it does the job. I'm quite happy with it.

Sethbacca
03.08.2012 , 07:23 AM | #22
Was having trouble with my pc last few weeks and finally decided to replace some of my aging parts. My CPU and vid card remained the same (Phenom II x6 1100t, GTX 460) but I changed the motherboard and ram and am getting a HUUUGE difference in fps. I had a Gigabyte GA785-US2H mobo and 4gb ddr2-800 and went to an Asus m5a97 and 8gb DDR3 1600 and my fps have literally almost doubled across the board.

I used to get like 16-25 fps on fleet, now getting like 36-60. I'm guessing the difference is the ram myself. This game seems super ram dependent and the jump from 4gb to 8gb I'm speculating as being the difference.

This is just a guess on my part, but anyway, I'm happy to see some results finally.

*Note : the 16-25 fps was on medium-ish settings. I've turned on all the settings now and it still seems to play a hell of a lot better than it did pre-upgrade.
█╬╬╬╬╬╬█|{█████████OBSCURRUM TORRENS██████████████ị

QuiJonPed
03.08.2012 , 07:25 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Syncourt View Post
Very Low had no effect on my system.
Avg. 40-50 fps before and after.

8800gtx
Q9550 2.8ghz
4gb DDR3
Vista-32
In the nicest possible way, the problem lies with Vista. Try upgrading to Windows 7 and you'll probably find a performance boost. Don't get me wrong, I don't bash MS just for the sake of it. I used Vista at home and it was okay, but I had the system to cope with it. Vista suffers from a very large hardware footprint. Windows 7 does not.

Plus your GFX has, I *think*, only around 120 stream processors which is very low these days. My old HD3850 has 320 stream processors, and although I could run the game with max settings it struggled. PVP was impossible. I dorpped it back to medium and it was fine.

However boosting from 320 SPs to 950ish on the HD6850 is simply heavenly (although I appreciate you're an Nvidia type :P ).

QuiJonPed
03.08.2012 , 07:30 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Sethbacca View Post
I used to get like 16-25 fps on fleet, now getting like 36-60. I'm guessing the difference is the ram myself. This game seems super ram dependent and the jump from 4gb to 8gb I'm speculating as being the difference.
You've also jumped from DD2 to DDR3, not an insignificant change You are running a x64 bit OS though, yeah?

CPU cores also play a factor here too, don't forget. Upgrading from a dual core to a quad core should bring noticeable performance SW:ToR gains.

Sethbacca
03.08.2012 , 07:37 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by QuiJonPed View Post
You've also jumped from DD2 to DDR3, not an insignificant change You are running a x64 bit OS though, yeah?

CPU cores also play a factor here too, don't forget. Upgrading from a dual core to a quad core should bring noticeable performance SW:ToR gains.
Yeah, it's odd, all the benchmarks I had ever seen only indicating a less than ~8% performance gain with the DDR3. Also, definite yes on the OS, Win 7 x64.
█╬╬╬╬╬╬█|{█████████OBSCURRUM TORRENS██████████████ị

CIKShock
03.08.2012 , 07:39 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kourage View Post
It looks absolutely horrible and has no performance gain on Fleet. Perhaps Ilum would benefit. But then, my machine is good enough for mid to high settings. It's for people with the bare minimum spec requirement.
It looks decent for what a low end machine user is used to...

Performance wise it works wonders for me. My machine is below the min specs (not greatly below but integrated graphics suck) and I've noticed virtually no video lag now that I'm on "Very Low" settings.

The color changes are kind of disappointing, but it's my choice to play on this rig instead of buying a desktop.

Loving not running into invisible walls/getting damaged by crap I can't see.

Specs:
I3 processor (no idea speed, should be fine regardless)
8 GB RAM (Helped a ton when I upgraded from 4)
Intel integrated graphics (Wish I could upgrade this so much) 128 mb onboard ram

All said, under the minimum system requirements for the game.

Syncourt
03.08.2012 , 07:41 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by QuiJonPed View Post
In the nicest possible way, the problem lies with Vista. Try upgrading to Windows 7 and you'll probably find a performance boost. Don't get me wrong, I don't bash MS just for the sake of it. I used Vista at home and it was okay, but I had the system to cope with it. Vista suffers from a very large hardware footprint. Windows 7 does not.

Plus your GFX has, I *think*, only around 120 stream processors which is very low these days. My old HD3850 has 320 stream processors, and although I could run the game with max settings it struggled. PVP was impossible. I dorpped it back to medium and it was fine.

However boosting from 320 SPs to 950ish on the HD6850 is simply heavenly (although I appreciate you're an Nvidia type :P ).
I'm not complaining about the performance, 40-50 fps is still very playable and I still have a number of options above low. Just saying that this particular option didn't help my performance whatsoever. I figured I'd check it out just to see if the graphics went down much for a performance boost, but it looked terrible and gave me no gain.

I am planning to upgrade to windows 7 very soon though regardless.

QuiJonPed
03.08.2012 , 08:33 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Syncourt View Post
I'm not complaining about the performance, 40-50 fps is still very playable and I still have a number of options above low. Just saying that this particular option didn't help my performance whatsoever. I figured I'd check it out just to see if the graphics went down much for a performance boost, but it looked terrible and gave me no gain.

I am planning to upgrade to windows 7 very soon though regardless.
Absolutely, sorry I wasn't trying to imply you were. I just dislike Vista with a passion

I do recommend Win7 x64. I use it at home and at work**

**no I don't work for MS

Albertwang
07.13.2012 , 02:01 PM | #29
This option helped with my Alienware m9700 laptop (single core processor with x64 capabilities) and only 2 gb of RAM. Video card is still awesome!

Thanks, BW!