Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New "Very low" graphics option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New "Very low" graphics option

BenjaminminU
03.06.2012 , 01:09 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by verydanger View Post
I was very much looking forward to this change. Sadly, it has no perceivable effect on my game's poor performance (FPS).

I know there's are as many hardware setups to cater to as there are game subscribers, and that performance problems can be caused by many different things. And I applaud the game developers for implementing a change that I'm sure will help some players. I just really hope this isn't the end of those efforts.

For me, none of the game settings (except shadows) seem to have much effect on my FPS. Low or High, when my screen gets filled with Force Lightnings, fires and sparkly shields my FPS plummets in the same fashion. Could we not be given a option to reduce the spell effects? It seems pretty certain that that's what is causing at least my FPS woes.
I switched it to very low and the fps doubled instantly, only problem was that it made characters look awful so i had to switch it back to low. If the shader complexity could be seperated for characters and the world then it would be better, i just can't have it set at very low knowing how bad the characters will look.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

verydanger
03.06.2012 , 02:19 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Nagadeath View Post
funny the old pc i run on from time to time (when my other pc is being used for something else) went from 5-10 fps up to 25-35 fps with the new setting. must be some other issue causing your pc to have fps problems.
I suspect, as Kourage already pointed out, that this option is mainly meant to help people with very low-end hardware.

I myself only play WZ's, and with the popularity of Sorcerors my screen is always filled with lightning effects in every direction. My FPS is fine when running around the WZ where not much is happening, even small scale combat (preferrably with no Sorcs involved...), but the game just becomes unbearable when the action heats up in my field of view. Whether I run at the High or Low graphics preset makes a neglible difference - which makes sense I guess, as none of the game's settings alter the quality of particle effects.

I have been using the tweak which involves renaming a game file and thereby making the game not render any spell effects - which makes even the most intense (8 vs 8) combat wonderfully smooth. This introduces some unpleasant sideeffects though...
Vane - Sentinel on Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Kreavus
03.06.2012 , 02:25 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by verydanger View Post
I was very much looking forward to this change. Sadly, it has no perceivable effect on my game's poor performance (FPS).

I know there's are as many hardware setups to cater to as there are game subscribers, and that performance problems can be caused by many different things. And I applaud the game developers for implementing a change that I'm sure will help some players. I just really hope this isn't the end of those efforts.

For me, none of the game settings (except shadows) seem to have much effect on my FPS. Low or High, when my screen gets filled with Force Lightnings, fires and sparkly shields my FPS plummets in the same fashion. Could we not be given a option to reduce the spell effects? It seems pretty certain that that's what is causing at least my FPS woes.
Do not really know what to tell you. I was in Nar Shaadar Lower Prominade with 20 fps. Turned on the new very low setting and went from the 20 fps to 37fps. So yea its definatly helped me.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

astrocanis
03.06.2012 , 02:52 PM | #14
I wonder if this is related to their apparent ATI bias and you will see more increases with ATI cards.

QuiJonPed
03.07.2012 , 06:47 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by QuiJonPed View Post
I've just taken delivery of an upgrade to my HD3850... I'll cranking my settings back tonight baby, yeah!
Well I slapped in the HD6850 and wow. I cranked everything back up to max and I could still PVP without any hardware lag or skipping.

The Belsavis Daily that sends you into a an area filled with smoke simply looks stunning. Whereas before with medium settings and teh old HD3850 my screen lagged, now it is as smoothe as a baby's bum freshly doused in Johnson's talcum powder.

I'm not cocking a snoot at those without the hardware or who cannot afford to upgrade, just stating my experience.

I have a similar problem at work where a number of departments won't upgrade their hardware but complain incessantly about poor performance. Or alternatively people who won't upgrade their software and expect IE6 to last forever

Tenceriker
03.07.2012 , 07:07 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by astrocanis View Post
I wonder if this is related to their apparent ATI bias and you will see more increases with ATI cards.
So that is why like half the thread consists of people with ATI cards complaining right?
Relabeling future patches as Expansions, just like EA Louse said a year ago. Who got the last laugh?

verydanger
03.08.2012 , 03:57 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by QuiJonPed View Post
Well I slapped in the HD6850 and wow. I cranked everything back up to max and I could still PVP without any hardware lag or skipping.
This sounds great dude. May I ask what CPU / RAM / OS you are using?
Vane - Sentinel on Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Syncourt
03.08.2012 , 04:06 AM | #18
Very Low had no effect on my system.
Avg. 40-50 fps before and after.

8800gtx
Q9550 2.8ghz
4gb DDR3
Vista-32

Mamono
03.08.2012 , 04:20 AM | #19
You all know what this means?

First they removed high grafic settings and renamed medium to high. So in otherwords you only have low and high.

Now they are introdusing ultra low.

This will in short time be renamed to low settings, when low settings will be renamed to medium settings.

I should work for EA, I fit right into their need of a co-worker. How to fix things without any cost.
Intel® Core i7-960 Processor.
3x Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9
2x Corsair SSD Force Series GT 120GB in RAID 0
1x XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5

Lightmaguz
03.08.2012 , 04:38 AM | #20
My bad fps in warzones keeps going on, it's been smoother but still only barely acceptable, the graphic change did absolutely nothing, it's not my computer or at least not my graphics card... I exceed every single recommended requirement so I didn't think it would solve it anyway.