Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cipher_nemo
03.07.2012 , 03:13 PM | #281
Quote: Originally Posted by GongStar View Post
I played with macros for the first time in Rift and all I can say is it's absolutely ****ed up.
I had a warrior and I had 2 attack keys. *troll face*
Anyone supporting macros is a massive game killing noob.
Don't taint the topic by your extremely limited experience. You obviously didn't read the rest of the thread or even begin to fathom that developers can implement macros in different ways, from a complete system with delays, abilities, etc. to something more simple like /slash commands and emotes.

xirinia
03.07.2012 , 03:24 PM | #282
Quote: Originally Posted by JustCuz View Post
Macros ARE in. Just not for everyone.
what I find humorous, is the macros that ARE in are much more capable than what BW would have implemented. As in, had they implemented macros, people would not have to do much more complex things with external macros

mindriot
03.07.2012 , 03:24 PM | #283
While I was a heavy macro user in wow, I agree with bioware on no "combat" macro. It's good for players to actually having to keybind, and learn to play. In wow I saw it as a tool that everyone can use, and if you don't do your homework to set-up your macros, that was your loss. Rift is an example of a macro system gone wild, I haven't played in a while, but I'm pretty sure you can macro your rotation to one button, old school wow hunter style, that's bad, and honestly lazy on the player, and dev team. Good for bioware.
I-5 Ivy bridge 3470
8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance
MSI GeForce 680
Samsung 830 SSD

xirinia
03.07.2012 , 03:27 PM | #284
Quote: Originally Posted by Kungpaoshizi View Post
I just think it's messed up they put their name etc on the razer keyboard then say, 'omg no macros!'
The way I see it, they want you to either get creative or to pay extra to have macros. But when you do, you get much better macros than what they would have allowed in game. And (I assume) they keep the right to ban you if you get too creative for their taste

xirinia
03.07.2012 , 03:29 PM | #285
Quote: Originally Posted by Jofai View Post
I want to change my target (target, focus, target of target, focus target, self, etc) based on a key modifier, in previous games this has been done through a macro. Can you explain to me how that would be done through an outside source like a programmable keyboard?

Or can you explain to me why that "dumbs down" the game?
If I understand correctly, posting external macros on BW forums will get deleted. Ask on the forums pertaining to your specific keyboard, or autohotkey's forums

Cronhour
03.07.2012 , 06:22 PM | #286
Quote: Originally Posted by Evray View Post
Bioware doesn't like to work.
sounds like you don't like to work

lokivoid
03.07.2012 , 06:35 PM | #287
Quote: Originally Posted by Badlander View Post
It seems part of the Dev team hates macros and does not want them in game.
No more like the entire GUI is written in flash (the only API language engine supports). Flash is not exactly the best API to adapt to macros. In order to correct this issue they would have to scrap the GUI API and replace it with a light weight scripting language. (or they could halfass it and try to adept one to flash, though this would be a system resource management nightmare)

It has nothing to do with the dev's not liking/wanting them. Its more along the lines of it being costing to much for there allowed development budget. This is also the same reason you wont see addon support anytime soon. Flash was just a terrible choice to base a entire GUI around.

Summery: its a issue caused by their engine choice

GeorgZoeller
03.07.2012 , 06:48 PM | #288 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Badlander View Post
It was pretty much said that there will be no macros anytime soon if ever at the guild summit. It seems part of the Dev team hates macros and does not want them in game.

But, they did say there will be some things in game that will help healers and such. What that means who knows they did not explain it very well.
Which i think this is a good thing.
If you're invoking the Guild Summit, let's be a bit more precise about what we've said:

A) Macros are a possibility in the future. We don't hate them.

B) I am opposed to macros that automate combat (shouldn't be a surprise). I'd rather take tedious things (such as sprint turning off after death) and modify the design than to rely on people to create macros to deal with these things - which creates unnecessary barriers of entry in my opinion.

C) We don't consider interface improvements and quality of life features (e.g. mouse over healing) to be macros (so 2 does not apply)

D) Macros for social behaviors, etc are definitely a possibility too.

cipher_nemo
03.08.2012 , 09:09 AM | #289
Quote: Originally Posted by lokivoid View Post
No more like the entire GUI is written in flash (the only API language engine supports). Flash is not exactly the best API to adapt to macros. In order to correct this issue they would have to scrap the GUI API and replace it with a light weight scripting language. (or they could halfass it and try to adept one to flash, though this would be a system resource management nightmare)

It has nothing to do with the dev's not liking/wanting them. Its more along the lines of it being costing to much for there allowed development budget. This is also the same reason you wont see addon support anytime soon. Flash was just a terrible choice to base a entire GUI around.

Summery: its a issue caused by their engine choice
You apparently know next to nothing about the Hero engine or its GUI editor: http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/GUI_Editor

And the UI's markup language: http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/GUIXML

GalacticKegger
03.08.2012 , 10:59 AM | #290
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
If you're invoking the Guild Summit, let's be a bit more precise about what we've said:

A) Macros are a possibility in the future. We don't hate them.

B) I am opposed to macros that automate combat (shouldn't be a surprise). I'd rather take tedious things (such as sprint turning off after death) and modify the design than to rely on people to create macros to deal with these things - which creates unnecessary barriers of entry in my opinion.

C) We don't consider interface improvements and quality of life features (e.g. mouse over healing) to be macros (so 2 does not apply)

D) Macros for social behaviors, etc are definitely a possibility too.
Thank you bossman! The game plays quite well on its own merits and I agree that the additon of combat-assist macros and addons would hurt the game. If any kind of non-RP "extra" were to be implemented I could maybe see an Ops-only combat log as the rest of the world wouldn't need it. Other than that, keep doing what you guys are doing!
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu