Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guild Summit: Mac users better really want it...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Guild Summit: Mac users better really want it...

Birdmen
03.05.2012 , 08:25 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightmaguz View Post
Apple still isn't popular with game developers or gamers as far as I can tell. It's a general waste of resources in most cases. And I don't get why it costs more to "emulate", is it the program or something else I'm missing that costs about a 100 extra dollars?
You have to buy a copy of windows to load onto your Mac, using Mac's bootcamp program.

They don't give you windows for free, obviously.

Wolfeisberg
03.05.2012 , 08:33 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
Actually, the Mac does everything and more that a PC does.
Like? I seriously want to know, cause I have yet seen a Mac do something that my Windows PC can't. Right now, imo, Macs are just over priced PCs. Every time someone tells me that Macs are better they say 2 things... 1- I just works and 2- It is immune to Virus So yeah, obviously I keep hearing it from people who do not know anything about computers anyways.

So what does a Mac do that a PC can't?

Lethality
03.05.2012 , 08:35 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfeisberg View Post
Like? I seriously want to know, cause I have yet seen a Mac do something that my Windows PC can't. Right now, imo, Macs are just over priced PCs. Every time someone tells me that Macs are better they say 2 things... 1- I just works and 2- It is immune to Virus So yeah, obviously I keep hearing it from people who do not know anything about computers anyways.

So what does a Mac do that a PC can't?
You tell me first: What does a PC do that a Mac can't?
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

RuQu
03.05.2012 , 08:40 PM | #24
Yes, they DID launch with it on Day 1. On the same discs. In the same box.

Get your facts straight.
Exactly. I know...I had those discs. As well as the dual-OS install discs for their previous three RTS games and expansions. (Their original RTS released for Mac 2 years later, and the sequel released within months of each other, and that was back in 1996).

"Buy a dedicated gaming machine" is a completely irrelevant, bordering on ignorant, answer. The context of the quote, and included in my OP, was around them having a dedicated team to help this game run on extremely old PCs.

Lots of older people play these games. They have a lot of free time, and they enjoy the social aspect that lets them interact with people without leaving their homes (you know...cause they are old). Old people tend to have one of two systems: old PCs cause they never upgraded, or newer Macs because they are easy to use. BW is focusing on only one of those two populations.

You also have college students, who can be divided into two categories: gamers and non-gamers. Apple gives a discount to college students, they are trendy, and easy to use. Non-gamer college students buy them in a high proportion, but are in a social situation where they are exposed to gamers...in other words are ideally situated to be recruited into MMO gaming.

That Other Company is as successful as they are, and other MMOs before that going back to at least EQ1 because they reached out and hooked the non-gamer demographic.

The "get a dedicated gaming computer" demographic is a very small part of the population. Yes, they create content for them, but they also are actively pursuing the super-casuals.

And, for those with the complete lack of reading comprehension telling me to get a PC...I clearly already said I'm running this on Bootcamp, so doing so would be a bit redundant. For those who say Macs aren't optimized for gaming, my Macs have always run their games like a champ, both natively in OSX and (for this game) on Windows 7.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

Wolfeisberg
03.05.2012 , 08:40 PM | #25
Nothing, but that is the point. Makes Macs an overpriced computer, nothing else.

AtikLYar
03.05.2012 , 08:41 PM | #26
Actually, the Mac does everything and more that a PC does.

It's all about the available software... if you're a fool and you want to spend $1200 on a computer for gaming when a $200 Xbox will work - get a PC. If you want a computer for what they were intended for PLUS some gaming... get a Mac. Period.

There are, literally, million of WoW players who do so from a Mac. The Mac market is huge. And growing.

The poster I'm quoting as uneducated and as misinformed as I've seen.
Bull

Macs are overprices, poorly optimized, pieces of crap.

Apple is an all around horrible company and needs to hurry up and finish dying.

PCs can do absolutely everything a mac can do, and better. They have better security, more access to the gaming market, are much cheaper, and far more user-friendly.

BlackZoback
03.05.2012 , 08:42 PM | #27
Not be overpriced.

KahnyaGnorc
03.05.2012 , 08:43 PM | #28
Compatibility.

Lethality
03.05.2012 , 08:45 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfeisberg View Post
Nothing, but that is the point. Makes Macs an overpriced computer, nothing else.
What concern, then, is it of yours what I decide to pay for my computer? Zero, that's what.

And millions of people seem to see the value that Apple provides... it's huge market, and as a mainstream entertainment software provider like BioWare, what you call an "emergent" market and precisely where you want to be poised for future growth of your business.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

Lethality
03.05.2012 , 08:46 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by KahnyaGnorc View Post
Compatibility.
With?