The Right Way to Roleplay a Sith Lord

Tgirgis

I'm usually opposed to anyone who says there is a right and wrong way to RP, because its ultimately up to the player. I have recently changed my perspective, after watching several hundred so called "Sith" end up roleplaying thugs and serial killers.

Lesson 1: The Sith Code and It's Meaning

-- Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

The Jedi would have you believe that peace is a desirable goal. That peace of the spirit is the way the force is mastered. That a lack of conflict betters man. We, however, know better.

It is our passion and our desire that fuels the Force. It is conflict that improves the lot of civilization and the single being both. Conflict forces one to better one’s self. It forces change, growth, adaptation, evolution, or even death. These are not our laws, but the universe’s. Without conflict, you have only stagnation.

-- Through passion, I gain strength.

What fuels your power with the Force but your passion? The stronger darker emotions, anger, hatred, fear. These passions empower us. The Force gives us all power, even the Jedi, but it is our passion that gives us the strength they lack. It is our goal to be stronger, to achieve our potential and not rest upon our laurels. We are the seekers, not the shepherds.

-- Through strength, I gain power.

The stronger you become in the Force, the more power you will achieve, but always must you fight for your power. Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation.

-- Through power, I gain victory.

How many victories can you imagine? Peaceful victory? Victory by sacrifice? A truce? An achievement? Unless your victory is achieved by demonstrating that your power is superior, it is only an illusion that is temporary at best. We seek more.

-- Through victory, my chains are broken.

This has been argued over, and often. The chains represent our restrictions, those placed upon us and those placed upon ourselves. Ultimately, the goal of any Sith is to free ourselves of such restrictions. In a way, it is that we may do whatever we wish, but there is more to it than that. One who has freed themselves of restrictions has reached perfection, perfect strength, perfect power, perfect destiny. That is our ideal. Perfection is a goal rather than a state of being. The jedi would argue that, no doubt.

-- The Force shall free me.

The Force is our servant and our master. Our teacher and companion. A weapon and a tool. Know it, and any would know the universe. Master it, and you master the universe. Strive for perfection and the Force shall reward you.

Lesson 2: Social Darwinism & The Sith Stereotype

1.1 Purposeful Murder

Let’s address a common stereotype first: Murder. A true Sith does not murder out of pleasure. You must have a purpose to remove a person. For those of you who want to be a Sith because you think you can go around on murderous rampages for the hell of it, being a Sith is not for you, you are a serial killer. There are some cases where blind rage is an exception, but this is usually brought on by an external force or conflict, not an internal desire to make things bleed.

1.2 Sith Society and Social Darwinism

The Sith are very structured in a pyramid of Social Darwinism, meaning "survival of the fittest." If an animal or being is not strong, they will quickly fall to predators seeking a meal to sustain themselves. We apply this to our way of life. The weak should be servants to the strong, or die. This is only natural, for if we foster a safe environment that would delay the inevitable death of the weak, we would only bring our society down. However, for a Sith to go out of their way to cut down and slaughter the weak would simply be a waste of time, an inefficient allocation of resources. The weak will be killed and weeded out throughout the process regardless; this is how our society is designed.

1.3 Constructive use of Negative Emotions

Sith are fueled by emotions, primarily the negatives. We feed on them to give us power, control and twist them to our will, this is our advantage. Anger, hate, fear, desire, lust, ambition, and envy are all prime examples. These emotions cannot simply be locked into a box and ignored; they are constant and will always plague even the most heartless of beings. Negative emotions, by nature, are unproductive and often lead to frustration, irrationality, and misery, this is why the Sith choose them over all other emotions, we take what is useless, what to others may be a disadvantage, and use these emotions constructively, to give them purpose. Emotions such as "Love" can also fuel us, and often leads to the negative emotions we seek to utilize, but "Love" can also lead to compassion and mercy: disadvantages that can all Sith should seek to avoid, but that is a lesson for another time. Sith, on the whole, believe that emotions are of nature. They are natural parts of life and the universe, and because the Jedi seek to rid themselves of emotions, they are unnatural abominations to abhor. Mercy is frowned upon by the Sith, as it is letting the weak live. There are certain exceptions to this in the Sith however. Mercy can be shown to someone if that person is still of some use. It is important to realize that domination of the weak is the least of any Sith's worries, and it is not a goal but more of a inalienable right.

I'm usually opposed to anyone who says there is a right and wrong way to RP, because its ultimately up to the player. I have recently changed my perspective, after watching several hundred so called "Sith" end up roleplaying thugs and serial killers.

Poor guy. I'll read your post once you change the title and amend this.

Here, I'll help out.

"I'm usually opposed to anyone who says there is a right way and wrong way to RP, because it is ultimately up to a player. I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'm going to share with you my personal experiences of roleplaying a Sith Lord, and what being a Sith Lord means to me."

Edited by Yuuj

Regardless of your introduction, I have to say I had a really good time reading this guide. It is very well written, concise and inspiring. Thanks for sharing although you might want to change the first two sentences of your post so that people do not stop there and go on reading what's next because IMHO, it really is worth it. ;)

Yuuj, I agree with you. Op, you don't tell people how to role play their character. it's their business how they choose to rp their character. If everyone followed your rules, it wouldn't be role playing.

This.

Attempting to 'teach' others how they should RP their characters is almost as bad as the half Demon / half Vampire / half Werewolf, Katana Lightsaber wielding, teenage angst driven horrors of fan fiction.

This.

Attempting to 'teach' others how they should RP their characters is almost as bad as the half Demon / half Vampire / half Werewolf, Katana Lightsaber wielding, teenage angst driven horrors of fan fiction.

Not all fanfiction is that bad. :p

But I agree. RP is a person's take on their character. Maybe their Sith Lord is a thug or a serial killer? I'll not lie, my Sorcerer is a huge thug story wise... he beats people up for monies.

Edited by Silthir

Good Sith background info but I agree with most others, there is no right way to roleplay.

To the OP: You have to understand that most players will have gotten all they know about the Star Wars universe through the movies. In the movies all evil characters are cartoonishly evil. They have all the depth of your standard sheet of paper. There is no motivation for any of them other than "they are evil". They are also so incredibly incompetent that they couldn't realistically rob a bank, let alone rule the universe.

I would bet that The George never had as much Sith background written down as you have in your post, so to expect players to know all that is wishfull thinking at best.

My complaint with Sith RPers would be exactly the opposite of your experiences. I think the number of "Drizzt's" vastly outnumbers any who actually play even remotely ill-tempered. For non-DnD people, Drizzt is the lone "good" member of a stereotypically evil race. He is also the model of 99.95% of all Drow player characters.

Just go with pve or pvp. RP is soul crushing in this game with all the bads who mistake anti-heroic sociopaths for 'good guys' and blood bathing orphan punters for 'villains.'

These people treat the words 'nuanced' and 'subtlety' like a pair of backpacking Frenchmen in Texas.

Not all fanfiction is that bad. :p

But I agree. RP is a person's take on their character. Maybe their Sith Lord is a thug or a serial killer? I'll not lie, my Sorcerer is a huge thug story wise... he beats people up for monies.

Oh I know, but there are some horrors out there. I think i'd rather try and fight the creations of H.P. Lovecraft than read through an entire fanfic like the one I mentioned.

There is no "right" way to RP.

Actually there is. The right way to role play begins by:

1. Choosing a role-play name that fits the genre of the theme to which you are role-playing. It's okay to have a silly name like Gearhead or Toybox, but names like Ilikepie, RPzSuks and XXxXVaderXxXX are simply not roleplay conductive and are a form of RP griefing.

2. Following the canon of your RP theme. Saying your character is a half-Klingon in a "Star Wars" role-play is not canon and improper role-play (Klingons are Star Trek).

3. Ultimately, Respecting the role-play community. By following 1 &2 as well as avoiding situations where you can be considered RP griefing such as sapmming nonsense during a organized event, summoning your large vehicle or mount and buncing up and down on RPers' avatars while they are trying to RP, or sending RPers /tells how "silly" they are.

While no one can tell you how to role-play, there are always the unwritten ground rules which are normally accepted by the RP community that takes their RP seriously. See 1, 2 & 3 for reiteration.

1. Choosing a role-play name that fits the genre of the theme to which you are role-playing. It's okay to have a silly name like Gearhead or Toybox, but names like Ilikepie, RPzSuks and XXxXVaderXxXX are simply not roleplay conductive and are a form of RP griefing.

2. Following the canon of your RP theme. Saying your character is a half-Klingon in a "Star Wars" role-play is not canon and improper role-play (Klingons are Star Trek).

3. Ultimately, Respecting the role-play community. By following 1 &2 as well as avoiding situations where you can be considered RP griefing such as sapmming nonsense during a organized event, summoning your large vehicle or mount and buncing up and down on RPers' avatars while they are trying to RP, or sending RPers /tells how "silly" they are.

While no one can tell you how to role-play, there are always the unwritten ground rules which are normally accepted by the RP community that takes their RP seriously. See 1, 2 & 3 for reiteration.

This should be carved in granite and preserved in the RP Hall of Fame for new and old RPers alike.

Anyone who doesn't understand why you should roleplay like this is not a true roleplayer.

Yes you character can be a crazy murderer but that does not make him a Sith.

Sith have a way of life a way to look at things a very laid down law in how to progress in their society.

1) I think it's what you meant, but if not, there's nothing wrong with "nicknames".

2) I'd disagree on this one as a "golden rule" just out of principle. Alternate realities, wormholes, time travel, etc. are all staples of "soft" sci-fi. An evil Goatee Spock who somehow ended up in the Star Wars universe is no more ridiculous than Teddy Bear Commandos. It's very hard to do correctly, but it is possible. The key would be to play according to the lore of the universe Evil Spock is now in, and not the one he comes from.

3) Agreed. Unfortunately though most of the disrespecting of RPers comes from other RPers who concern themselves way too much with how other people have fun.

Not a bad guide about the Sith but like everyone has said in the end your cannot force players to RP the way you want. Have to agree a better title for the post is needed though and you should get a better response.

As for bad roleplaying it happens when players involved in the roleplay are no longer enjoying themselves.

• 2 years later...

I don't know about some of you but this guy is just expressing his opinion and knowledge gathered throughout his years and especially voicing his concerns of the many Sith he believes to be role-playing inaccurately within the Star Wars Universe.

I like how nice some of you are here and that's a good thing, keep at it. But sometimes you need to roll up your sleeves and tell someone what they're doing is wrong. And by doing that you're not only helping the lost soul but also displaying your respect to the world that is Star Wars.

Do it in a friendly manner, of course. We've all started from the bottom somewhere and looking back you'd appreciate someone giving you a lesson or two.

• 2 months later...
In defense of the OP, though I completely understand where everyone is coming from their posts regarding his poor choice of wording on the thesis statement(s), I can agree with him that lately, people RP was Sith in a very... unrealistic manner, or say they are a Sith but act how a Sith wouldn't act. Of course, this is their decision, but that may be because they are misinformed of how a Sith should act.