Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Unlikely things about Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Unlikely things about Star Wars

-kobie-
03.04.2012 , 07:34 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TJBartlemus View Post
Also what seems unlikely is that they would leave the hole that would destroy the Death Star absolutely unprotected. I am sure someone would have noticed that could be a problem. To spend all that time and money on a weapon to be destroyed by a well placed shot. Major design flaw.
They didn't worry about covering because they never anticipated that anyone would try to attack the station with fighters.
Barrahm/Loora/Tylarr
The Arkanus Legacy
The Harbinger

TJBartlemus
03.04.2012 , 07:37 PM | #12
Also here are 2 more good questions.

"By the end of III Obi-Wan looks to be around 35 years old. At the beginning of IV, he looks to be in his mid to late 60ís. Owen and Beru both appear to be in their early to mid 20ís at the end of III but about the same age as Obi-Wan, 60-ish, by IV. Considering the fact that only 19 years pass, how did they all get so old?"

"Why does Obi-Wan never remember owning a droid when he clearly owned several R2 units (including R4) and furthermore, why does he not recall R2. One interesting note, in thinking about it, not once in the prequels does Obi-Wan come in contact with Threepeo. The closest they come to seeing each other is in Padmeís apartment on Coruscant in ROTS but Threepeo does not enter the balcony room until after Obi-Wan departs. On Mustafar, we never see them together though itís hard to imagine Obi-Wan escaped with Padme and both droids without ever seeing them."

http://forums.sciflicks.com/showthread.php?t=15200
Qui-Gon Jinn
The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent.

Wolfninjajedi
03.04.2012 , 07:40 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by -kobie- View Post
They didn't worry about covering because they never anticipated that anyone would try to attack the station with fighters.
Plus the death star couldn't be destroyed anyway unless you had the force, if Luke didn't have the force the station wouldn't get destroyed. The targeting computers on an X-wing had a 98.7% chance to hit its target, Red Leader had that target was on target and he missed. Now...I find it very unlikely something that accurate could still miss, now go to Luke he is up until Obi-Wan speaks to him is using his computer but decides near the final moments not to and ends up using the force to hit its mark.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Antar-Bavarick
03.04.2012 , 07:42 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by tjbartlemus View Post
also what seems unlikely is that they would leave the hole that would destroy the death star absolutely unprotected. I am sure someone would have noticed that could be a problem. To spend all that time and money on a weapon to be destroyed by a well placed shot. Major design flaw.
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TJBartlemus
03.05.2012 , 08:16 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by -kobie- View Post
They obviously did if they had turrets on the surface attacking Luke when he went in. I am sure that those little turrets couldn't do much else than protect the station.
Qui-Gon Jinn
The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent.

Wolfninjajedi
03.05.2012 , 10:58 AM | #16
They obviously did if they had turrets on the surface attacking Luke when he went in. I am sure that those little turrets couldn't do much else than protect the station.
The turrets were designed for large scale attacks, not for small nimble fighters.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

ErikModi
03.05.2012 , 11:10 AM | #17
Also what seems unlikely is that they would leave the hole that would destroy the Death Star absolutely unprotected. I am sure someone would have noticed that could be a problem. To spend all that time and money on a weapon to be destroyed by a well placed shot. Major design flaw.
A single-well placed shot that was impossible for any pilot but Luke Skywalker to make.

Also, the shaft was protected:

General Dodonna: The target is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.

Ray shields prevent energy weapons (rays) from penetrating (they also have pretty nasty effects on living beings who try to cross them.) The shaft wasn't particle shielded, since it's a thermal exhaust port, and thus letting out hot gas, which would be blocked by the particle shield, having the same effect as if you'd welded a big metal cap on the end of the exhaust port (i.e., not good.) Particle shields block physical objects (particles), things like proton torpedoes. Ray shields don't, ergo, only a proton torpedo could hit the shaft and set off the chain reaction.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Toonimator
03.05.2012 , 03:27 PM | #18
Also here are 2 more good questions.

"By the end of III Obi-Wan looks to be around 35 years old. At the beginning of IV, he looks to be in his mid to late 60ís. Owen and Beru both appear to be in their early to mid 20ís at the end of III but about the same age as Obi-Wan, 60-ish, by IV. Considering the fact that only 19 years pass, how did they all get so old?"

"Why does Obi-Wan never remember owning a droid when he clearly owned several R2 units (including R4) and furthermore, why does he not recall R2. One interesting note, in thinking about it, not once in the prequels does Obi-Wan come in contact with Threepeo. The closest they come to seeing each other is in Padmeís apartment on Coruscant in ROTS but Threepeo does not enter the balcony room until after Obi-Wan departs. On Mustafar, we never see them together though itís hard to imagine Obi-Wan escaped with Padme and both droids without ever seeing them."

http://forums.sciflicks.com/showthread.php?t=15200
Obi-Wan's meant (now) to be 57 in ANH. Alec Guinness was 62 when it was filmed, which makes it only a 5 year difference. Not a big deal there... and some people age much better than others (whether or not they've had work done!). William Shatner's 80! That's crazy! He looks too young to be 80. Yet, there's also people who look ancient, yet are only in their 60s or 70s.

Harsh desert environment, individual worries, stresses, concerns, emotions... that can take a lot outta people. Obi-Wan had the weight of the galaxy on his shoulders. HE trained Darth Vader, tool of the Republic's downfall. HE failed to curb the darkness in his old friend. Now he's gotta watch over Luke, one of the last hopes of the galaxy, and Luke's step-uncle won't let Kenobi near him.

Obi-Wan & Threepio DO see each other while leaving Mustafar; 3PO's flying the ship while Obi-Wan's in the copilot seat, shocked at recent events. Obi-Wan may not look at him during that brief shot, but I'm sure they interacted plenty offscreen after AOTC and during various times in ROTS, particularly near the end at Mustafar & Polis Massa.

However, Obi-Wan never 'owned' a droid. He was telling the truth about that. Jedi have very few personal possessions; R2-D2 was a gift to Anakin, and the Jedi Order allowed it as he'd need an astromech anyway for space missions. R4-P17, R4-G9, and any other droids Obi-Wan partnered with in starfighters over the years were merely assigned to him by the Order basically.

ErikModi
03.05.2012 , 06:03 PM | #19
Not to mention that a good Jedi respects all life (even inorganic life) enough to consider the concept of "owning" a droid to be a bit. . . uncivilized.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

westraz
03.05.2012 , 06:15 PM | #20
you have to remaber R2-d2 sever in the days of the old Republic, and had all the codes form back in the day, the same days the DeathStar was being made, when the Empire was formed, a lot of the codes just got lost and never got taken out, so all R2 had to do is find a old code that worked a back door, and he see everything.. simple for a drod like R2 that take point ohohohohohohohoh 8 seconds
I have bad spelling do to my being learning disabled , the is just so I do not get asked "why are you spelling so bad?" and I don't wont to have to get asked 100 times, and is in NO way meant to hurt any one feelings after all.. IT is about me!