Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Unlikely things about Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Unlikely things about Star Wars

TJBartlemus
03.04.2012 , 07:01 PM | #1
I was reading an article and this got me.

"Every computer is a friendly computer Ė It is awfully convenient how, whenever he needs to, R2-D2 can just plug right into any computer system and access all sorts of information. They waltz into that first room on the Death Star, and Artoo is able to pull up diagrams showing where the tractor beam controls are, that Princess Leia is on the station, and where she is. Later on, heís able to shut down the trash compactors at a momentís notice. It sure is nice that the incredibly-paranoid Empire didnít put any safeguards on their computer systems, so that anyone with an astromech droid can come in and get tons of sensitive information. Artoo does the same thing other places, too, and never runs into any real problems except in Jedi when he mistakes a power port for an interface port. I realize that C3PO says something about some information being restricted, but itís hard to believe when you look at the info Artoo was able to find."

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/10...ii-the-sequel/

I actually sort of agree with this one, it seems quite unlikely.
Qui-Gon Jinn
The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent.

Wolfninjajedi
03.04.2012 , 07:08 PM | #2
Its simple....it was R2 *********** D2, you can't hide **** from that droid! Plus on the DS he activated the entire imperial network, so theres that reason why he was able to locate everything.

His number 5 is also wrong, Anakin just lived on the planet he didn't live in the exact same house that Obi-Wan took Luke to. Plus Vader thought his pregnant wife and the child died, so he didn't learn of Luke until he dug in deeper.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

CelticMutt
03.04.2012 , 07:09 PM | #3
Actually it's as simple as R2 is an astromech - they're kinda designed to be able to interface with just about any computer.

TJBartlemus
03.04.2012 , 07:16 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
His number 5 is also wrong, Anakin just lived on the planet he didn't live in the exact same house that Obi-Wan took Luke to. Plus Vader thought his pregnant wife and the child died, so he didn't learn of Luke until he dug in deeper.
I didn't say I agreed with everything on the article. Just what I quoted.
Qui-Gon Jinn

Wolfninjajedi
03.04.2012 , 07:17 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TJBartlemus View Post
I didn't say I agreed with everything on the article. Just what I quoted.
I know, but was just posting that just cause I felt like it.

TJBartlemus
03.04.2012 , 07:18 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by CelticMutt View Post
Actually it's as simple as R2 is an astromech - they're kinda designed to be able to interface with just about any computer.
Doesn't mean that he could just get through any security that is on it. I mean really. The Death Star. One of the most advanced installation in it's time and an old astromech droid could just get in and do whatever he wanted. Not likely.
Qui-Gon Jinn

FixerFortyKay
03.04.2012 , 07:21 PM | #7
R2 couldn't bring up information on the detention level to find alternative escape routes when the main characters got trapped.

What we have here is a severe case of laziness in the Death Star IT department. Bet the manager left the guest account open on the network.
Agent Jellico -Stabbing with Style.
Just because you murder the enemies of the Empire from the shadows doesn't mean you can't take a little pride in your work.
Concealment Operative PVP videos.

Wolfninjajedi
03.04.2012 , 07:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TJBartlemus View Post
Doesn't mean that he could just get through any security that is on it. I mean really. The Death Star. One of the most advanced installation in it's time and an old astromech droid could just get in and do whatever he wanted. Not likely.
Well to be fair, before ANH with the Rebel Alliance R2 hacked into many imperial databanks and got tons of information so its not that far of a stretch that he could also slice into the DS computers.

-kobie-
03.04.2012 , 07:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by FixerFortyKay View Post
What we have here is a severe case of laziness in the Death Star IT department.
The Empire was a monolithic organization with, to that point, very little resistance. However, they were not made of money ... an organization that big, that dedicated to overwhelming force, had to cut corners somewhere. That's why their troops were "protected" with terrible armor, why they didn't put shields on TIE fighters, why they couldn't be bothered guarding their exhaust ports. Palpatine was, apparently, a firm believer in quantity over quality. So I'm sure they cut corners on IT and computer security as well, especially since they had gone basically unchallenged for 20 years and probably didn't think they had much to worry about in the security department.
Barrahm/Loora/Tylarr
The Arkanus Legacy
The Harbinger

TJBartlemus
03.04.2012 , 07:31 PM | #10
Also what seems unlikely is that they would leave the hole that would destroy the Death Star absolutely unprotected. I am sure someone would have noticed that could be a problem. To spend all that time and money on a weapon to be destroyed by a well placed shot. Major design flaw.
Qui-Gon Jinn