Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

madness and using discharge

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
madness and using discharge

odante
03.04.2012 , 02:13 PM | #1
was wondering as a new madness assassin do i need to stack charges before i use discharge and when do i re apply it?

AetherMcLoud
03.04.2012 , 03:17 PM | #2
What do you mean by "stack charges"?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

odante
03.04.2012 , 03:22 PM | #3
i mean do u have to build up charges like with surging charge? but it would seem there isn't any stacking is it a base amount every time u use discharge with lighting charge active?

AetherMcLoud
03.04.2012 , 04:05 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by odante View Post
i mean do u have to build up charges like with surging charge? but it would seem there isn't any stacking is it a base amount every time u use discharge with lighting charge active?
No why would you have to build charges? The only thing that makes you "build" (as it's a completely passive process) charges is the Static Charge talent. And even than it's (AFAIK) better to use Discharge on cooldown instead of waiting for 5 charges (which could take some 30 seconds).
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Kryostasys
03.04.2012 , 06:42 PM | #5
Lightning Discharge should be used as soon as possible. You want the DoT on the target as soon as so you can fish for Raze procs!

Mapex
03.04.2012 , 08:28 PM | #6
Very often in the time it takes to build 5 stacks to use an ability once, you could have instead used the ability twice for fewer stacks.

If say each stack grants 10% bonus damage and it takes 6 seconds to gain each stack and the ability is on a 15 second cooldown, then you have the option of:

1) Use the ability every 30 seconds for +50% damage
2) Use the ability on cooldown every 15 seconds for +20% or +30% damage

Then #2 will win (since you get the use ability twice for 240% to 260% damage total in the time you used it once in scenario #1 for only 150% damage).

The only way to determine which option is better is to see how long it takes you to get max stacks and how many stacks you can get between cooldown refreshes. Some simple math will often yield the same answer as above.

A lot of classes have this same dilemma (such as Adv. Prototype Powertechs via Prototype Flame Thrower) and the answer is the same in every case.
Streamlining Cover to be More User-Friendly and Intuitive
Improving the Adv. Prototype/Tactics Tree
Imperial: Mapex (PT) | Jerro (Sorcerer) | Khallus (SM) | Vinegarstrokes (Operative)
Republic: Mapekz (GS) | Khallas (JG) | Ammon (Shadow) | Bobbumman (Commando)

verfallen
03.04.2012 , 10:48 PM | #7
Even with surging charge, discharge isn't an absolutely on CD ability once you get voltaic slash.

2x voltaic, shock, normally an exploit weakness proc do a lot of damage on their own, at low enough cost. You keep that chain up to the 5 stack, and use discharge. Sure, looking at discharge alone you do better damage using it as soon as its off CD. But you have other attacks than discharge. So in a GCD reality, waiting for the 5 stack I would suspect gives better DPS at the end.