Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercenary or Powertech

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Mercenary or Powertech

diogolp
03.04.2012 , 09:40 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Ihazcrayon View Post
Merc pyrotech here.

Both AC's have their tradeoffs. I love being one of the few pyrotech mercs on my server while outperforming most people who play assault in warzones. A properly played merc pyrotech can bring just as much to a team as a properly played powertech pyrotech.

I chose merc because I like to heal too. When they implement dual spec I can have the best of both worlds. I also have a melee marauder at 50. I wanted a class that was more long ranged damage than close/medium range that can kite and be mobile.

Needless to say Merc Pyro is my new main
nope, and I say this as a merc pyro battlemaster.
In warzones, any class and spec is viable in the right team. But PT pyro brings more to the table than merc pyro. The advantages of merc pyro over PT pyro in warzones:
- power surge + heal can help out survivability in a pinch.
- 1 mez on a 1 minute cooldown.
- Aoe knock back (but it is even better for arsenal).
- Fusion missile and sweeping blasters as additional ranged AOE options to help prevent caps/disarms.
- Cure, which removes some dots.

The advantages of PT pyro over merc pyro in warzones:
- Interrupt. great for when you are fighting healers and casters
-grapple. While jet boost is aoe and can knock people off platforms in huttball or off the bridge in voidstar, grapple is nicer, especially in huttball, since it has a 30 yard range and you have some control of where the person is going to land.
- If mercs have concussive missile, which is a nice mez, PT have carbonize, which is an aoe 2.5 second stun.
- Mercs depend on low chance procs to snare someone as pyro, while powertechs have a 100% chance to snare someone with flame burst as pyro.
- you have taunts even as pyro, which can significantly decrease enemy's dps.
- Harder hitting and more frequent railshots, leading to more burst.
- Explosive fuel for more crits, adding to burst.

snowmon
03.05.2012 , 03:07 AM | #22
i was in no doubt i wanted to be a Bounty Hunter, during the Betas i tested both merc and PT, ended up playing Pyro cause i always prefer the melee style (Warrior+Rogue for 7yrs in WoW) i also tested all 3 specs, originally went with Tank and geared up through raiding, atm i have respeced dps for PvP and im rolling Pyro in both HMs and PvP, i just couldnt get on with AP, so ill be sticking with Pyro from now on.

tl dr: im PT Pyro
lvl 55 PT DPS, ToFN Server

Merihim
03.05.2012 , 04:27 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Cegenaus View Post
they do? then explain to me why you never see pyros in HMs or raids?
Dunno you tell me? Because where are the damage meters? How do you know that Mercs do more damage in PVE?
I can tell you one reason why you see more Mercs in HMS or Raids, because they are over populated imo.

But if you look Warzones wise i see PT rocking in the top of most damaged done, same as the mercs.
"You have allowed this Darklord to twist your mind, untill now, untill now you've become the very thing you swore to destroy"
"Don't lecture me, Obi-wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the Darkside as you do"

diogolp
03.05.2012 , 10:35 AM | #24
they do? then explain to me why you never see pyros in HMs or raids?
Missed this the first time around. Just because your guild doesn't use them doesn't mean others don't. My 8 man group always has at least one powertech pyro, and we've cleared everything.

Rotm
03.05.2012 , 06:22 PM | #25
I would expect the pt to have a lot of room to grow in class balancing and expac additions. The middle tree is a very likely candidate for improvements and leaves room for new forms of utility to be added to the class. The only nerf I would expect is possibly something like a 3sec internal cooldown on rail while switching it to a faux random PPM instead of a true random system. I've seen that happen with similar mechanics in other games.

If they were short sighted and double hit railshot by reducing the armor pen they could break the spec. The sustained damage comes from flameburst and the dot cylinder which are prime candidates to fall behind over other sustained damage abilities in gear scaling.

The merc I believe is always going to be one of those flux classes. Its CC and mobility always limited either by its high burst damage or its tanky healing role.

It also has a disturbing over reliance on hard cast and los, a combo which never seems to work if Bioware were to introduce a more arena style pvp system. However if they build exclusively around warzones I think it will excel due its great scaling. I have bad memories of wow arena season 1 elemental shaman getting trained and interrupted locked and merc skill set seems similar to the point that it makes me slightly leery.

Both classes seem to run off the same role, high damage little utility or escape mechanisms. Hard to nerf because high damage is all they have, but also hard to buff for the same reason. I'd call picking either a wash with the dps merc getting the edge for casual play.

oakamp
03.05.2012 , 09:15 PM | #26
PT= more mobility

merc= more damage

thats pretty much it in a nutshell
wrong and wrong,
u complete dont know how a PT do better dps than a merc,
we dont blame u, because most IMP fleet ppl r ignorant as u.
English is not my first language, still working on it.