Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why SWTOR failed - its the community stupid

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why SWTOR failed - its the community stupid

caultonpos
03.03.2012 , 09:26 PM | #1
People will ***** and complain about class balance, warzones, grinding gear, open world pvp.

But in the end the nail in SWTOR's coffin is the community.

Oh they are all very proud of their flashpoints and operations, and how interesting it is. But the reality is getting a group together is a pain in the *** due to not being able to communicate with your faction.

People that would group with you are spread across different planets, warzones, fleet, logged into another alt etc. Unlike other MMOs there is no unifying ability to communicate on a channel let alone a tool to pull a group together.

And grouping for quests is really unnecessary. You level far fasting doing solo quests. 2 mistakes so far.

Now open world PvP could be good, could be exciting if it existed. I've seen high levels come into low level zones for some fun to kill lowbies and in every other MMO there would be communication across faction that this abherrent behaviour was going on.

But we can't communicate, cant get any bored level 50s to kill these intruders.

And so there is no open world pvp, of course there is no incentive for it either except on Ilum.

Its all very sad and while most of us are just killing time till the next MMO rolls along I can see that Bioware is completely unaware of how to create a vibrant community on the servers.

rbkrbk
03.03.2012 , 09:31 PM | #2
I wasn't aware SWTOR had failed...this is news to me....
"The Old Republic is in EA’s top 10 franchises in terms of profitability, “but it’s not in our top five”. “So it’s a business contributor, while important, is not as important as Medal of Honor or Battlefield or FIFA or Madden or The Sims or SimCity..."
- John Riccitiello, CEO, Electronic Arts

nschlan
03.03.2012 , 09:31 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by rbkrbk View Post
I wasn't aware SWTOR had failed...this is news to me....
It's on its way out.

BUBBUH
03.03.2012 , 09:39 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by caultonpos View Post
People that would group with you are spread across different planets, warzones, fleet, logged into another alt etc. Unlike other MMOs there is no unifying ability to communicate on a channel let alone a tool to pull a group together

I agree with everything except this. You know that feeling in diablo when someone joins your game, you get this sense of dread. "Is he gonna fight and take my gold or gonna help me".
And idk it was just this feeling of a wild west showdown. I feel like that when i see a 50 juggarnaut spying at me from his speeder.

But other then that, if the game isn't dead now, soon.
GTN Master.

cycao
03.03.2012 , 09:45 PM | #5
i dont think this game is a total fail. Yes some things are a fail in this game (Ilum), but I am going to wait for 1.2 and see how that goes. Now if 1.2 does not deliver then i would say they will def have one foot in the door. Still a young game and i feel that they are not going to let it die.

GJLynch
03.03.2012 , 09:55 PM | #6
They need to make cities on actual planets. This republic fleet thing is a joke. Each faction should have major cities (yes multiple) on different planets. Why they did not include this is beyond me. Traveling in this game is a pain in the *** too..
-Mnemonic-

kweassa
03.03.2012 , 10:02 PM | #7
...and all this, based on the whiny tantrums of hordes of people with PvP issues....

Come on... as if its the first time we've seen how any forums about PvP is like?
"To everything, there is a first step. The first steps in becoming better at PvP, is to acknowledge the fact that you totally suck. There's no shame in this -- even the greatest of players have been there, done that.
Stop complaining. Ask more questions. People are happy to help."

Paralassa
03.03.2012 , 10:07 PM | #8
Hi there,

We are closing this thread. While we understand that players can be frustrated with the community at times, please understand that threads like this (even when made with good intentions) tend to result in flame wars and have little room for constructive discussion. In the future, we encourage you to create threads that foster constructive discussion and not ones which criticize the community.

We appreciate your understanding that we've closed this thread!