Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug's Avatar


gizbug
01.25.2012 , 08:17 AM | #1
Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

Noviru's Avatar


Noviru
03.03.2012 , 07:46 PM | #2
Hello everyone,

We have recreated this thread because the previous version has exceeded our post threshold of 1,000 posts. Please continue to use this thread for any discussion related to whether or not there will be Server Merges.

A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:
  • Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules don't respond to them!
  • Don't make spam posts like "first," "in before the lock," or "bump."
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.
Thank you for understanding.

Stenrik's Avatar


Stenrik
03.03.2012 , 10:46 PM | #3
Instead of simply a merge, I think the best option would be a hybrid of transfers and merge.

1. Characters get free transfers to any server, during a 1 month window.
--------a. All legacy characters count as one transfer.
--------b. Players are prompted for name change when they select a new server (if the name is already taken). Same with legacy name. That way, players can poke around and find a server that doesn't conflict with their name, if that's a big issue to them.
--------c. The first transfer is free. Additional transfers would be charged.

2. Anyone who did not leave their home server within this 1 month window will be merged with several others. These stragglers should have no reason to complain about the merge/required name change, because they had plenty of time to take their own initiative.

-----------------------

This way, there should also be some natural faction balancing, with Empire players choosing servers with higher Republic population (more to kill) and Reps choosing servers with fewer imperials. (Hopefully...)

It also gives players choice, and sounds better to investors ("free transfers and eventual merge" sounds less like an emergency measure than a hard merge).

Decembrist's Avatar


Decembrist
03.04.2012 , 02:59 AM | #4
I'm on the Emp side and ready to go Republic any time, but there is no faction change option. Please give us one.

sembeists's Avatar


sembeists
03.04.2012 , 03:10 AM | #5
Low populated servers need to merge as soon as possible. The lack activity makes people quit and things just get worse for the bunch of us who stay: no wz, no fp, empty action house...A first step in the right direction would be crossed realm warzones, but it's urgent that you deal with this low populated servers or sooner than you think they'll be empty.

mavaricx's Avatar


mavaricx
03.04.2012 , 03:21 AM | #6
Totally agree, the servers are dead and a merge must happen soon. I am stuck because I do not want to progress my char and miss out the on the Flashpoints.

Plus if I start new low lvl chars I just end up in the same place.

All I am doing now is logging in and then logging out again just to check if people are online, not worth paying for if thats all I can do.

Is a merge going to happen and when?

Marmerus's Avatar


Marmerus
03.04.2012 , 03:26 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by gizbug View Post
Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

No need for server merges. Bioware told us the number of subscribers is increasing and if we remember correctly all the servers were full around christmas. So if anything bioware needs to increase the number of servers by 2-3 the amount and offer free transfers from old servers to the new ones. We don't want hour long ques and thousands of people on the fleets.


unless ofc bioware was trolling us.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

Taluen's Avatar


Taluen
03.04.2012 , 06:40 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Marmerus View Post

No need for server merges. Bioware told us the number of subscribers is increasing and if we remember correctly all the servers were full around christmas. So if anything bioware needs to increase the number of servers by 2-3 the amount and offer free transfers from old servers to the new ones. We don't want hour long ques and thousands of people on the fleets.


unless ofc bioware was trolling us.
There are still 40-50 ppl on Fleet every evening ... so i guess you could populate up to 40 or 50 Servers with them ...

havocslayer's Avatar


havocslayer
03.04.2012 , 06:48 AM | #9
I agree, if there is servers with 20-30 people in the fleet at peak hours. Just sucks to level up to a new char another place. Atleast acknowledge that some servers are ghost towns.

Febibi's Avatar


Febibi
03.04.2012 , 06:51 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Taluen View Post
There are still 40-50 ppl on Fleet every evening ... so i guess you could populate up to 40 or 50 Servers with them ...
yea when both factions are under 100 total in fleet...and ilum is low as well.... we do a server check and find that all zones and phases combined....under 600 total on server at any time....

DEAD server.


Mergers a must this week.


Guild summit is discussing this and if we are not given a solid yes to mergers and a date...then we have already agreed we will turn as a group and walk out the door.

IMPACT
()≡ǁ/////ǁ()ǁǁ[██████████████████████████████) CE Preorder - SITH !