Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Malavai Quinn Does Not Heal

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Malavai Quinn Does Not Heal

Drainedsoul
03.03.2012 , 03:25 PM | #1
So he's in Med Watch, all his damaging abilities (except "auto attack" which you can't disable for some reason) are disabled, and he stands right next to me (I keep him on passive 'till he runs up next to me so I'm sure he's in range) shooting at mobs until I die.

Never casts a single heal, even though they're all on auto-cast.

And yet, after I die, and I res, and I'm out of combat, Channelling Hatred, he starts healing me...

EDIT: He exhibited this behaviour before I started pulling him in next to me by putting him in passive and then taking him out of it, I just started doing that because I've had bad experiences with Doc (JK) getting out of range and just switching to shooting things instead of running into range to heal.

BioWare's AI code is extremely poor...

AmedusTOR
03.03.2012 , 03:56 PM | #2
I have never once had this issue. I was going to suggest to stop messing around with the Passive function, but if he was doing it beforehand I don't know what to tell you. Quinn has never let me down whilst in Med Watch. And I didn't disable a single one of his attacks either; he just prioritized on his own to heal me before throwing some punches.

Weird that a select few seem to have issues with the guy.

Darthshnooky
03.03.2012 , 04:35 PM | #3
The only time i've ever seen what you're talking about is when he's on passive. Are you absolutely sure you're taking him out of that?

Drainedsoul
03.03.2012 , 04:42 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthshnooky View Post
The only time i've ever seen what you're talking about is when he's on passive. Are you absolutely sure you're taking him out of that?
The first time he exhibited this behaviour he wasn't in passive ever, at all.

I started doing the passive/unpassive thing just to eliminate the possibility of out of range, after he'd already exhibited the behaviour and let me die.

eatZecaai
03.03.2012 , 04:50 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Drainedsoul View Post
EDIT: He exhibited this behaviour before I started pulling him in next to me by putting him in passive and then taking him out of it, I just started doing that because I've had bad experiences with Doc (JK) getting out of range and just switching to shooting things instead of running into range to heal.

BioWare's AI code is extremely poor...
Yeah that is not a good idea. Only use the passive mode if you want companions to de-aggress from a bugged NPC. Otherwise they tend to do strange things. I learned that running around a bit, doing a bit of jumpy jumpy gets your companion back to you too without any weird behavior in the next fight.

I also noticed that using force leap over terrain obstacles can cause your companion to do strange pathfinding. If you leap over canyons or up high terrain steps your healer wont heal you but run away searching for a way to walk to you even if he was still in range. So only do that if you know you can down the NPC without heals.

WarSiren
03.03.2012 , 06:42 PM | #6
His Ranged attacks have a greater range than his heal. Sometimes you can leap out of his distance and he'll sit there just shooting. When that happens pop him on Passive he'll walk to you then take him out and he;ll start healing He doesn't have to go to far just in range of his heals.

Hope this helped.

Honestly though after certain circumstances in the story I've retired him and started using my Droid, geared he's a bit more reliable than Quinn
The Koda Legacy
Master Zhar Lestin OK Who Pulled
Tythona ~ ~ M'alice ~ ~ Promethea ~ ~ Caliya
Juggernaut ~~~ Assassin ~~~ Sniper ~~~ Powertech

deatryx
03.04.2012 , 11:33 PM | #7
I have noticed the same thing over the past day or so. Partnering with my wife who is a sniper and she sees him just standing around, whether I Force Charge or just run in, even when he is in range he doesn't heal anyone until they are almost dead. This is my second warrior I am leveling and have never had an issue with Quinn before.

Joefjr
03.05.2012 , 01:20 AM | #8
It's not just Quin, its like this with all healing companions. Their AI needs some fine tuning, it should be that when in heal stance their priority is 20 yards in range of player not hostile target>Heals>DPS.

They should be coded better to keep the player at 100%

Archaell
03.05.2012 , 01:44 AM | #9
I experienced this as well and it is extremely annoying and mostly seems to be an out of range issue.
Havent really experienced him not healing me when Im right next to him apart from certain bugged areas in the game world where you are also not able to target things that are right next to you.

Seems to plague sith warriors/jedi knights a lot more as they jump away from their healing companion...and their healing companion stays at a longer range then their heals allow them to blasting away at the target.

Bioware needs to check the code on this one...

Vandewater
03.05.2012 , 01:58 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Archaell View Post
I experienced this as well and it is extremely annoying and mostly seems to be an out of range issue.
Havent really experienced him not healing me when Im right next to him apart from certain bugged areas in the game world where you are also not able to target things that are right next to you.

Seems to plague sith warriors/jedi knights a lot more as they jump away from their healing companion...and their healing companion stays at a longer range then their heals allow them to blasting away at the target.

Bioware needs to check the code on this one...
^Indeed, this is why you need to be careful jumping at max range since the AI gets hella stupid at times.