Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update and Information Request: Error Code 9000

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Update and Information Request: Error Code 9000

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Taciturnity
03.08.2012 , 08:19 PM | #41
So many people here are experiencing the exact same issue I have been for the last month or so. Both on my friends network, using different accounts, router brands, and ISPs, and on my own network at home. It's fine if everyone is playing SWTOR. As soon as a computer starts browsing the web, or downloading even a 3 mb song, the person gets DC'ed with a 9000 error. It didn't used to do this for either of us until about a month ago and we have been playing since 12/21/11. It would be awesome to get this fixed or instructions on how to optimize our routers. Mine is a Linksys, his is a D-Link. I turned off the UPnP as someone suggested in this forum... I'll be testing it out with fingers crossed.

Ulkura
03.08.2012 , 11:14 PM | #42
These disconnects are definitely NOT caused by our end.

I never experience latency right before they happen. Everything is running perfectly then wham.. 9000. If I play most of the day, it happens at least 5 times. It's completely ridiculous. It always happens at the best of times too.

I'd answer the questions, but it seems like your pool of data over at least 3 threads should be ample.

It's you.. fix it.

JimDrunder
03.09.2012 , 11:48 AM | #43
1. Name of the server where you encounter disconnects

1a. Bondar Crystal

2. Day and time of a 1-2 hour block where you disconnected on average more than once every 15 minutes. (remember to tell us timezone!) We’re looking these up in the logs, so the more specific you can be the better!

2a. Any time of day or night that I play. As for today it's been since 8am to 1145 am.

3. Have you been receiving the disconnects continually? Are they during particular times of the day? Has it been consistent since launch? Do they tend to group up?

3a. I just moved to Louisiana and it started happening. Didn't happen with my old internet connection in Texas. Didn't start until this most recent patch. Every time I join a WZ or FP or anything with a couple players+ I will disconnect.

4. How reliably can you reproduce the disconnects? 100%? 75%?

4a. 150%. Any time I join a wz or fp or anything similar I am guaranteed to disconnect.

5. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, what brand and model of router are you using?

5a. No I'm directly connected to my internet modem.

6. Do you share the network connection with others? If so, do they play SWTOR, and have they also experienced disconnects? Are their disconnects at the same time as yours?

6a. No/no/no.

7. What version of Windows are you running? Are you running 32 or 64 bit?

7a. Windows 7 64 bit

8. Are you running any antivirus or firewall programs or any other network filtering program?

8a. AVG anti virus

9. Would you be willing to be contacted by a BioWare developer and work through some debugging steps hands on with us (most likely via phone)? If so, what timezone are you in?

9a. No

Dethaus
03.09.2012 , 01:49 PM | #44
1. Name of the server where you encounter disconnects
Ajunta Pall (West Coast)

2. Day and time of a 1-2 hour block where you disconnected on average more than once every 15 minutes. (remember to tell us timezone!) We’re looking these up in the logs, so the more specific you can be the better!
10:00am-1:00pm, my time is central, but the sever is West Coast i get 9000 code about every 45 minutes on the dot it seems like, also receiving random lag spikes, sometimes game will continue, if its been about 45 minutes i get d/c'ed with 9000 code

3. Have you been receiving the disconnects continually? Are they during particular times of the day? Has it been consistent since launch? Do they tend to group up?
Recently moved to new apartment down the street, normally Error 9000 was random, after move into new apartment its every 45 minutes.

4. How reliably can you reproduce the disconnects? 100%? 75%?
I cannot but it seems to be every time the server changes from light to normal to heavy, or back down to normal, light population size

5. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, what brand and model of router are you using?
Wired. I have tried bypassing my router and turning off my window's firewall but that didn't solve my problem.

6. Do you share the network connection with others? If so, do they play SWTOR, and have they also experienced disconnects? Are their disconnects at the same time as yours?
No one else is using my service.

7. What version of Windows are you running? Are you running 32 or 64 bit?
Windows 7 Home 64bit (on both PCs).

8. Are you running any antivirus or firewall programs or any other network filtering program?
On one PC I use McAfee, i have shut down McAfee, and turned off the firewall, also have opened the ports when it is on, none of these work

9. Would you be willing to be contacted by a BioWare developer and work through some debugging steps hands on with us (most likely via phone)? If so, what timezone are you in?
Yes I can be called between 7:30pm and 9pm on most weeknights.

iFruit
03.09.2012 , 03:08 PM | #45
1. Kellian Jarro.
2. There is no connection with time with these disconnects, they're mostly dependent on game intensity (ex. In an Op I could get disconnected 2-3 in just one encounter), but could just happen randomly. As for sudden lag spikes I get them all the time during my gameplay.
3. I have been receiving this after game patch 1.1.5, there are otherwise no noteworthy particularities, the problem is persistent and systematic.
4. Warzone/Op or any intensive encounter will trigger it inevitably, but it could happen while just standing casually at fleet.
5. I am on a Netgear router which works perfectly, I.e. no issues with other devices or software.
6. No one else is sharing/playing SWTOR on this device.
7. Windows 32 bit.
8. I use the Windows antivirus which previously hasn't had issues with the game.
9. No.

kjgibbs
03.09.2012 , 05:23 PM | #46
For every fanboi that jumps in to say that it's our connection and our ISP problem, please stop it. Just because one person changes their router/connection settings and gets a good connection, doesn't mean a thing. There have been several "solutions" that have proved useless.

How many temporary fixes have there been where someone says "OMG i just connected my computer to teh wall and it fixed it!" or "Run in compatability mode fixes it"?

I guarantee you that these have all worked temporarily. Then Bioware does maintenance and releases "fixes" which break whatever these people have done.

If the problem is on our end, why do we have successful connections when playing other online games? Other MMO's? There is something in the netcode that Bioware built that is significantly different than other games, causing the servers to force drop the connections. Sometimes immediately after the connection is established. Which is strange because there is supposed to be this 30 second window of opportunity.

You can keep saying it's our fault, but we shouldn't have to try to find different ISPs (sometimes that is impossible based on where people live), buy new routers, upgrade hardware, tweak BIOS, run in compatibility mode, turn off firewalls/antivirus (Really?, you want us to remove security from our computers when connected to a server with thousands of other people, some of which sniffing for hacking oppotunities) etc.

Hogwash. Take responsibility Bioware. I've submitted several tickets and links about this to popular PC and gamer magazines/blog/news sites. It's your reputation, not ours.

jenlen
03.09.2012 , 06:44 PM | #47
It's not on my end. Several times now I have done a ping -t to the server I connect to and left it running, then logged into SWTOR. I experience 1-3 Error 9000s, log out completely and then stop my ping. 100% packets, 0% packet loss, latency never over 110 ms.

It always happens the same way, most often in warzones it seems.

Suddenly things crawl and the little latency meter starts going up. 4000, 8000, 9500, 14000... right after that, poof. Back to server selection and the little box that says I got an Error 9000.

Log back in, all is well until the next one.

My ISP is Comcast, who is well known for shenanigans with packet dropping in the past. But as far as anyone can tell they are no longer doing that. Besides, it was BitTorrent packets they were dropping, not games.

Nutek
03.10.2012 , 11:57 AM | #48
Cancelled two accounts.

If you cant even be bothered to update us with progress in a thread YOU started (never mind actually fixing the problem), then I cant be bothered to give you any more of my money.

Good luck all.

iFruit
03.10.2012 , 12:08 PM | #49
This is becoming intolerable - disconnects now happen every 5-10 min. My sub runs out on the 20th, won't be much point to renew it at this rate.

HiGate
03.11.2012 , 07:50 AM | #50
Hey guys - after i was gettings error 9000 and 4001 every 10-20 min. i decided to dig into this matter, cause it seems to be a local problem and not a server side problem.
This is what i did and have had zero issues for days now:

1) Startup SWTOR and join a server
2) Alt-Tab back to windows
3) Startup Command-Promt in Admin mode
4) Type in the following: Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more
5) You will see a line like this: TCP XXX.XX.XX.XX:***** YY.YYY.YYY.YY:**** ESTABLISHED ZZZZ [swtor.exe]
6) Write down the port address for the local and server side
7) Quit SWOTR
8) Now log on to your router/modem configuration and add the following to your NAT/port forwarding settings: Internal port = "local port" and External port = "server side port" and Protocol = TCP and IP address = "your local ip address on the machine"
9) Save settings
10) Startup SWTOR and see if it helped.

For information i have also port forwarded the officiel suggested ports for the game.

Hope that this information will help some of you guys ;-)

Regards