Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Primer on the Emperor


Tuscad's Avatar


Tuscad
08.27.2012 , 11:25 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
He doesn't actually state that the Emperor doesn't have his original body anymore, and that would not be in my top ten possible ways to interpret that tweet. I'm more inclined to believe that he is referring to physiological changes brought about by immortality(such as the stuff Scourge mentions in one of his companion dialogues) rather than him not having his original body anymore.

I still think Sith Pureblood is a poor fit for his original body's species based on what little we know about his background, but I have a feeling that logic is being overruled in this instance so w/e.

As for Wookiepedia, I really wouldn't trust them for just about anything at this point. Fanon is treated as Canon on there fairly frequently, and they have a tendancy not to cite sources for specific facts.
The other way I took the tweet is that his body is so radically different from what it originally looked like and in genetic make up from all of the rituals that the Sith Emperor is now basically his own species. I really wish that Drew had been more clear because I find his tweet really confusing and really open to interpretation.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
08.28.2012 , 06:10 AM | #82
Quote:
still think Sith Pureblood is a poor fit for his original body's species based on what little we know about his background, but I have a feeling that logic is being overruled in this instance so w/e.

As for Wookiepedia, I really wouldn't trust them for just about anything at this point. Fanon is treated as Canon on there fairly frequently, and they have a tendancy not to cite sources for specific facts.
Really? I would have thought the emperor would of had to be Sith. Being born before the Great Hyperspace War, but then again I'm not sure whether the whole of the Sith Empire was constituted of Sith or Humans also. Seeing as he was born into a low family I suppose it is possible he could have been human. But does that really match the whole notion of sith being elite and more powerful in the force than humans? Surely the sith emperor of all people would be one of those?

Temeluchus's Avatar


Temeluchus
08.28.2012 , 07:21 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Really? I would have thought the emperor would of had to be Sith. Being born before the Great Hyperspace War, but then again I'm not sure whether the whole of the Sith Empire was constituted of Sith or Humans also. Seeing as he was born into a low family I suppose it is possible he could have been human. But does that really match the whole notion of sith being elite and more powerful in the force than humans? Surely the sith emperor of all people would be one of those?
I'm still not sure why people are under the impression that Sith(species) are considered more elite and powerful within the Empire;it simply isn't true. Force sensitive Humans, Pureblood Sith and Human/Sith hybrids are considered the apex of Sith society and are the ruling elite, followed by non Force using Humans,Hybrids,Sith,other aliens and slaves.

The premium is placed on Sith Purebloods over Human/Sith hybrids because they have become increasingly rare and on the verge of extinction due to generations of interbreeding. I believe the Purebloods are considered "better" than Sith of mixed heritage but are on equal footing as Humans in status.

Evidence to suggest that Humans are of the same status as Sith(species):

1. The original exiled Dark Jedi were comprised of Humans or Near-Humans and were worshiped as gods when first encountered by the Sith(species). While the worship has waned, the legend around the Exiles and all aspects of them are still revered and those who are descended from the original bloodlines would be the "cream of the crop" of Sith bloodlines.

2. Due to the Sith species unique relationship with the Dark Side,they were targeted for interbreeding by the exiled Dark Jedi. This went on for generation upon generation, causing Pureblood Sith to be much rarer than the player Pureblood population suggests. It's extremely likely that a majority of NPC Sith(species) encountered in the game are of mixed bloodlines.

I really can't recall any point in the game where it point blank states that Purebloods are considered better than Humans aside from some NPC conversations were you are treated slightly less rude as a Pureblood, only that Humans and Purebloods are the elite and all others are barely worth the air they breathe.

If the Sith Emperor was not originally a Pureblood, then I would wager he was Human,Near-Human or a Hybrid.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
08.28.2012 , 08:39 AM | #84
I understand that humans are often seen as equals with the sith but sith heritage is still something revered among them. Evident through that Korriban quest involving scanning people with a holocron to test their bloodline.

But still it would seem to make more sense that the Emperor would be sith or at least a hybrid, being an important character from the great hyperspace war and the old sith empire, were pureblood sith lords like Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh were a strong theme. Even so BW seem to have avoided showing his physical appearance so I agree we cannot be sure.

Ranadiel_Marius's Avatar


Ranadiel_Marius
08.28.2012 , 03:05 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Really? I would have thought the emperor would of had to be Sith. Being born before the Great Hyperspace War, but then again I'm not sure whether the whole of the Sith Empire was constituted of Sith or Humans also. Seeing as he was born into a low family I suppose it is possible he could have been human. But does that really match the whole notion of sith being elite and more powerful in the force than humans? Surely the sith emperor of all people would be one of those?
The reason why I say I don't really feel it fits him is because of his childhood. His mother and her husband were both apparently not force sensitive. Non-force sensitive purebloods do exist, but they are supposed to be extremely rare at the time of TOR and I imagine were even rarer at the time of the Great Hyperspace War. That would mean it is statistically unlikely that either of his parents were purebloods. Now according to the stories, the husband first began to suspect that the child wasn't his when the child began to show he was force sensative....not when he was born with red skin. Now I'm sure it could be explained away, but it strains believability a bit to me. As such I really don't feel it fits with his childhood, but w/e.

Of course that all assumes that the story we have for his childhood is even remotely accurate which it very well might not be. *shrug*
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
08.28.2012 , 03:17 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
The reason why I say I don't really feel it fits him is because of his childhood. His mother and her husband were both apparently not force sensitive. Non-force sensitive purebloods do exist, but they are supposed to be extremely rare at the time of TOR and I imagine were even rarer at the time of the Great Hyperspace War. That would mean it is statistically unlikely that either of his parents were purebloods. Now according to the stories, the husband first began to suspect that the child wasn't his when the child began to show he was force sensative....not when he was born with red skin. Now I'm sure it could be explained away, but it strains believability a bit to me. As such I really don't feel it fits with his childhood, but w/e.

Of course that all assumes that the story we have for his childhood is even remotely accurate which it very well might not be. *shrug*
Ah, i didn't think of that. Gd point - so I suppose in that case he is most likely to be human. That could also be one of the reasons he was understimated after the great hyperspace war. Still BW are in a tricky spot, theirs a lot of conflicting information concerning the emperor and his voice, as the recent interview is now implying that their is no true body. I'll be interested to see how that pans out

DreksOrden's Avatar


DreksOrden
09.02.2012 , 10:43 PM | #87
maybe the emperor is "hidden in plain sight" i imagine a tomb on Yavin IV that had been cleered by his agents. Maybe that or he is on a more popular world lore wise like Lehon (Rakata Prime) or yonama sekot (possible spelling error) the seed of the Vong homeworld that got into the outer reaches of the galaxy long enough before it was first mentioned that an alien race found it and mastered its biotechnology. Or if bioware wants to be REALLY uncreative... they could have put him in a temple on ilum or makeb (potential 1.4 spoiler?)

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
09.03.2012 , 05:07 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by DreksOrden View Post
maybe the emperor is "hidden in plain sight" i imagine a tomb on Yavin IV that had been cleered by his agents. Maybe that or he is on a more popular world lore wise like Lehon (Rakata Prime) or yonama sekot (possible spelling error) the seed of the Vong homeworld that got into the outer reaches of the galaxy long enough before it was first mentioned that an alien race found it and mastered its biotechnology. Or if bioware wants to be REALLY uncreative... they could have put him in a temple on ilum or makeb (potential 1.4 spoiler?)
I doubt he'll appear on a popular lore world, only to avoid complications with canonicity, but its more than possible he's on a sith world like Yavin IV. Yavin IV seems more plausible being the former resting place of Naga Sadow (whose spirit has now been destroyed) and its also a planet that Bioware could explore in the future, very much tied in the the Old Republic era and not heavily explored by previous games and well known.

Even so, I think the Emperors going to remain hidden, where ever that may be, for a long time yet - the dread masters seem to be the main focus for upcoming updates. And then theres Darth Malgus...

kabeone's Avatar


kabeone
09.03.2012 , 05:58 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
The reason why I say I don't really feel it fits him is because of his childhood. His mother and her husband were both apparently not force sensitive. Non-force sensitive purebloods do exist, but they are supposed to be extremely rare at the time of TOR and I imagine were even rarer at the time of the Great Hyperspace War. That would mean it is statistically unlikely that either of his parents were purebloods. Now according to the stories, the husband first began to suspect that the child wasn't his when the child began to show he was force sensative....not when he was born with red skin. Now I'm sure it could be explained away, but it strains believability a bit to me. As such I really don't feel it fits with his childhood, but w/e.

Of course that all assumes that the story we have for his childhood is even remotely accurate which it very well might not be. *shrug*
The passage from Revan where Nyriss tells Scourge the story of the Emperor's childhood:
"At the age of six he began to manifest signs of the Force, marking him as one of the ruling elite. But his parents were simple farmers, and the Force was not strong in them. Suspicious about the boy's power, his father confronted his mother, ..."

This does not indicate that they were not force sensitive, only that they were not strong in it. To me, the phrasing "not strong" indicates that they were force sensitive as opposed to saying "force-blind" or "not force sensitive."

Anyway, I love reading this discussion and just poked my head in to see if D.K.'s tweet would change anything.

Eightus's Avatar


Eightus
09.24.2012 , 02:48 PM | #90
I take back what I said before, after giving it a thought the other day I agree completely with your theory. I think