Lack of polish/consistency

Deewe

Not speaking about the bugs but all the little things that tickles you while playing.

• Taxi cost is 10 times the space ship fuel cost to go from one planet to the other
  • You can have Sith corruption on non force user characters
  • Your ship leaves the planet when you speak to the door* (enters it).
  • We can Holocom from anywhere but not manage emails the same way nor even browse the GTN either. So much for an advanced civilization.
  • We're going to be able to use mail boxes from our ship but can't recall directly to them and mostly always pass in front of a mailbox to take off.
  • You can shuttle out and med rez anywhere but you can't recall to your space ship
  • We can force choke or nut kick droids or even force slap turrets.
  • Most Sith choices are about greed or fame.
  • Texts display of dialog choices too often does not fit the spoken lines
  • We have to take off to access to our space ship interior/bank.
  • Using a lift pops up a select destination when there's only one,
  • Non force user companions can also combat jump with as good skills
  • Melee characters needs to keep running between mobs without a boost to compensate the needs to do so versus ranged characters.
  • We find rare crystal nodes and artifacts in the open next to main roads.
  • There's no distinctive icon for all various resource nodes
  • There's no scale consistency on the maps
  • You "can" fly over a planet but you have a fog of war on the world map
  • Taxi use the exact same route for return travel meaning you always hit someone else coming from the same direction.
  • A one foot rock will stop your hovering speeding bike like you hit a wall
  • Falling down from 6 feet on a hovering speeder bike will hurt your character.
  • You can't force jump or use jetpacks without actually attacking something
  • It's impossible to fight with the shoulder flaps
  • Companions always gets in your way
  • Name tags are always on top of all others graphics and there's no hot key toggle
  • You can't close the quest tracker once for all. Same for the legacy popup.
  • It's faster to dismiss and summon your companion than to heal it
  • You can't one button sell grey items at the vendor
  • Managing mods between the character and companions requests you to write them down on a sheet of paper.
  • You can't hide the head slot on companions
  • You can't deactivate a saber blade in combat would you like it to
  • Your companions can sell grey stuff but they can't sell anything else
  • Gear vendor prices aren't written in your inventory
  • Can't on click equip an item to a companion nor compare gear to non summoned companions either
  • Mobs and NPCs standing still. They are lifeless. Just standing there, chilling and doing
    nothing.
  • Any NPC can request a Sith lord (you) to sweep the floor for them
  • A Moff emails you a few hundreds credits as reward
  • Officers instead of grunts wears ammo bandolier
  • Trading with a vendor does not open inventory window by default but last used one
  • Some light weapon based weapons have recoil and Sniper animations include working a bolt action on the rifle, even though it doesn't need to chamber a new round.
  • On taxi rides you are in the driver's seat but can't do anything.

Edited by Deewe

• Taxi cost is 10 times the space ship fuel cost to go from one planet to the other

Heh. Hadn't noticed this one. Made me laugh like a drain when I realised how true and dumb this is.

• Can't manage companion gear in the space ship

Thought you'd like to know that actually you can. Just not when they're off doin' their crew skill thang. There's a side-to-side arrow in the companion pane that lets you pick which of your idle toons you want to mess with. I think it defaults to whichever companion you're nearest to.

Edit. Sorry, meant to add my agreement with all the rest of your points. Kudos for taking the time to type 'em out.

Edited by Baelish

• 2 weeks later...
Thought you'd like to know that actually you can. Just not when they're off doin' their crew skill thang. There's a side-to-side arrow in the companion pane that lets you pick which of your idle toons you want to mess with. I think it defaults to whichever companion you're nearest to.

Edit. Sorry, meant to add my agreement with all the rest of your points. Kudos for taking the time to type 'em out.

Thanks did not notice that.

Updated the OP accordingly and added more entries ;)

If i may add:

* Respawn of mobs. You kill 10 groups and clear half of map to get to point A where is your quest and than they all respawn in few minutes and you need to kill them all again to turn quest in :(

* Mobs standing still. They are lifeless. Just standing there, chilling and doing nothing. :) Even on instanced Class areas you don't have almost any scripted events and surprises. They just stand still. :)

Not speaking about the bugs but all the little things that tickles you while playing.

Agree with the OP on the list, so many little awkward things. I find it funny that you actually need to "talk" to your space ship door to land and depart, according to the chat bubble. Not possible to just enter your ship.

Agree with the OP on the list, so many little awkward things. I find it funny that you actually need to "talk" to your space ship door to land and depart, according to the chat bubble. Not possible to just enter your ship.

Good catch! Not that much of a big deal IMHO but that's disturbing nonetheless.

Made me think about how we get most of the world quest. See my character is a Sith Lord. Like a Dark Vader guy and I don't see him being addressed by grunts requesting help.

We should be put into situation, directly into the action. In my book the trooper would weed his pants would a Sith Lord bent over him. The best a grunt would get from a Sith Lord should be ignore him. And probably get hurt in the process. Even none half brained creature would like to put himself in the debt of a Sith Lord.

I also laughed about the taxi costs. That's very interesting.

I agree with a few of the points, but disagree with others. Some are things that are sacrificed for gameplay & looks such as the few hundred credits rewards and shoulder flaps while other are things that could most certainly be changed such as the e-mail on the go and the ability to "sell all grey items" at a vendor.

[*]We're going to be able to use mail boxes from our ship but can't recall directly to them and mostly always pass in front of a mailbox to take off.

They're putting in mailboxes because they're also putting in GTN kiosks, so you can buy something and not have to exit your ship to get it.

[*]We can force choke or nut kick droids or even force slap turrets.

Droids in the Star Wars universe are near sentient machines. Anything with the amount of processing power that would require would need to be liquid cooled, and (as shown in Attack of the Clones) those processors are located in the heads of the droids (for some reason). When you Force Choke a droid, you're cutting off the coolant lines and frying it's brain.

[*]Most Sith choices are about greed or fame.

They're Sith, what did you expect?

[*]We find rare crystal nodes and artifacts in the open next to main roads.

How much would people cry if Archeology was the only gathering profession that required you to go out in the middle of nowhere to find stuff?

[*]It's impossible to fight with the shoulder flaps

Anything is possible with the Force.

[*]You can't close the quest tracker once for all. Same for the legacy tracker.

I'm pretty sure there's a toggle for the quest tracker. Also, if by "legacy tracker" you mean the bar under your XP bar, you can toggle that off in the same area of the preferences that you can choose whether you want a legacy name, title, or none.

All that and you missed the only one that ever really bothered me: The guns that some classes shoot fire beams of light, but have recoil. Also, some Sniper animations include working a bolt action on the rifle, even though it doesn't need to chamber a new round.

They're putting in mailboxes because they're also putting in GTN kiosks, so you can buy something and not have to exit your ship to get it.

Does not remove the fact that you pass nearby a mailbox to get to your ship as you can't recall directly to your space ship.

Droids in the Star Wars universe are near sentient machines. Anything with the amount of processing power that would require would need to be liquid cooled, and (as shown in Attack of the Clones) those processors are located in the heads of the droids (for some reason). When you Force Choke a droid, you're cutting off the coolant lines and frying it's brain.

If that were true war droid makers would make sure 1) not to put droid brains in the head 2) not rely on liquid coolant only. At least if they want to get contracts. Finally pretty sure in a such advanced civilization they should be able to have droids working at room temperature without any coolant at all.

They're Sith, what did you expect?
Well Sith behavior. More about real power than fame or money. Do you see Palpatine or Vader or Dark Maul doing it for the money or the fame? They don't need fame. They have the power they have something more powerful than fame: they inspire fear.

How much would people cry if Archeology was the only gathering profession that required you to go out in the middle of nowhere to find stuff?
Why the only one? Make all profession gathering a bit more realistic or, if you don't, then just lower the quantities of mats required for archaeology.

Anything is possible with the Force.

The force is something but trying to fight with these is a farce. Any half brained species would never hinder their fighting capabilities with anything, even less shoulder pads that prevents movement. When your life is at stake you think twice before choosing your fighting gear.

I'm pretty sure there's a toggle for the quest tracker. Also, if by "legacy tracker" you mean the bar under your XP bar, you can toggle that off in the same area of the preferences that you can choose whether you want a legacy name, title, or none.

No, the quest tracker always resets each time you zone.

Although the wording was wrong for the legacy, I was speaking about the popup in which you have to write down your legacy name. It pops up each time your zone as long as you did not choose any.

All that and you missed the only one that ever really bothered me: The guns that some classes shoot fire beams of light, but have recoil. Also, some Sniper animations include working a bolt action on the rifle, even though it doesn't need to chamber a new round.

That's the cool factor! The gun needs to recoil to cool down.

Going to add your entries. Did not bother me that much but it makes sense.

Edited by Deewe

Sorry to be off-topic but I'm surprised to see you still here considering all you wrote before launch !

While I could agree with most of the list, I still have a problem with it. Sometimes you want something more convenient, sometimes you want more consistency with the lore, sometimes it's the gameplay that seems more important.

I don't see how to make all thoses things coherent which seems to be one of your request.

To make the game more consistent with the lore, it would make some other things 10 times more annoying and/or they would have to make class-specific content for world/side quest (to continue about the way NPCs talk to Sith).

I don't know, I feel that even if all thoses changes were made, you would still complain it's not coherent and that it's not normal to be able to make appear your speeder ouf of thin air or that players should be able to buy anything considering they have a ship that probably cost 10+M credits or more.

Sorry to be off-topic but I'm surprised to see you still here considering all you wrote before launch !
There aren't any other options for a SW MMO. (That was too easy sorry ;) )

BTW the game ain't that bad as some are saying but it needs a better direction and more consistency. IMHO topics like this helps that.

While I could agree with most of the list, I still have a problem with it. Sometimes you want something more convenient, sometimes you want more consistency with the lore, sometimes it's the gameplay that seems more important.

I don't see how to make all thoses things coherent which seems to be one of your request.

To make the game more consistent with the lore, it would make some other things 10 times more annoying and/or they would have to make class-specific content for world/side quest (to continue about the way NPCs talk to Sith).

It's all about balancing fun/consistency/convenience.

In the things I mentioned, IMHO the devs took either the wrong route or did not put enough effort in the polish process.

I don't know, I feel that even if all thoses changes were made, you would still complain it's not coherent and that it's not normal to be able to make appear your speeder ouf of thin air or that players should be able to buy anything considering they have a ship that probably cost 10+M credits or more.

Funny you mentions the speeder as I'd go a bit more on the tedious route for that one.

You would not get a speeder out of your pocket anymore. But to make it so you have to run all the way back to where you dismounted. (But allowing speeders in the hangars)

Although at a point, with a legacy unlock, you would have it be brought to you by one of your companions.

Then a further improvement would be making it so you can requests a speeder ride without needing to stop moving. You would be able to unlock a way to have your companions pick up you while moving. You would jump on the speeder without ever stopping. Wouldn't that be cool?

Another example the taxis: the player would not be in the driver's seat as not actually driving. Don't you find it disturbing to be in the driver's seat and not even able to do anything at all, not even jump off?

P.S.: sup Nyla, I do remember reading some of your posts.

Edited by Deewe

Since when has catching a Taxi irl not been 10 times more expensive than driving your own car?

Since when tacking a taxi is 10 times the price of driving our own space ship? ;)

Edited by Deewe

Could possibly be planet taxes?...I mean for your ship, your only paying the fuel but the taxi's you are paying for a service + tax I would guess.

Well even planet taxes would be really cheap and it does not work either when you are only jumping to a space combat hot zone or from one to the other.

IMHO they should raise the space ship cost to very high level from fuel to starport taxes.

It would make a credible money sink but then you'd have to reduce the loading screens as using space ship is already a bit annoying.

Edited by Deewe

If that were true war droid makers would make sure 1) not to put droid brains in the head 2) not rely on liquid coolant only. At least if they want to get contracts. Finally pretty sure in a such advanced civilization they should be able to have droids working at room temperature without any coolant at all.

Before we get into this, I think it bears mentioning that I build and maintain robots for a living and I enjoy talking about robots in science fiction. I've thought about this quite a lot and am unlikely to let it go. If you'd like to continue, as I said I enjoy talking about it, but I thought you might want to know that going in.

Droids are usually used as the front line grunts that get sent out as cannon fodder. I doubt, given the amount of mass production capabilities implied by the fact that these droids are everywhere (not only here but throughout the EU and the prequels), that the makers of these droids really care that much about them. Also, since you would need to be a Sith to use that method of damaging the droids and Sith have access to much more damaging abilities, that doesn't seem like a very effective thing to improve to give the droids more survivability.

In at least two situations in the movies (about 2/3 through both Empire and Attack of the Clones) C3PO is seen talking without a body and retains his personality. The EU, especially the books, tends to lift things directly from the movies, and has had battle droids who speak after the head has been disconnected from the rest of the body. This indicates that the hardware that controls the sentience of the droids (both the processors and the memory) are located in the heads. Many of your arguments are that this game should follow lore, that is a piece of lore.

Overheating comes from a couple of sources, but the one I think would be the most likely in this setting is that the processor draws enough electrical power to generate a large amount of heat (heat comes from power, Ohm's Law states that power is equal to voltage multiplied by current, or P=VI). This can be diminished, but not removed. If there is an electrical current, there will be heat generation. As you add components, including processors (which you certainly would need to do to achieve the level of AI seen in droids), you add either voltage or current requirements, depending on whether they are added in series with or parallel to the other components. Ohm's Law states that as voltage and current rise, so does power. Again, many of your arguments center around making the game more realistic. This is a law of physics.

Droid heads have no ventilation, and air cooling would be insufficient anyway, therefore there must be liquid coolant lines, most likely connecting to tanks in the chest as that appears to be the only place on the droid bodies large enough to house coolant tanks.

Logically, using my knowledge of both electricity and Star Wars lore, Force Choke should be effective against droids.

Before we get into this, I think it bears mentioning that I build and maintain robots for a living and I enjoy talking about robots in science fiction. I've thought about this quite a lot and am unlikely to let it go. If you'd like to continue, as I said I enjoy talking about it, but I thought you might want to know that going in.

Droids are usually used as the front line grunts that get sent out as cannon fodder. I doubt, given the amount of mass production capabilities implied by the fact that these droids are everywhere (not only here but throughout the EU and the prequels), that the makers of these droids really care that much about them.

Ok maybe they don't care about them but I'll take this analogy: with your mindset grunts (soldiers) would not get helmets either.

Thing is if you're building a war machine you're going to make sure they are resistant, otherwise you're doing something wrong.

Also, since you would need to be a Sith to use that method of damaging the droids and Sith have access to much more damaging abilities, that doesn't seem like a very effective thing to improve to give the droids more survivability.

Let me disagree, everything that protects your combat drone from a very effective threat is worth it. If something as simple as blocking coolant system in a droid would turn it off or seriously damage it and you have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of force users in the galaxy, you want to make sure not to have such vulnerability in your war droids.

In at least two situations in the movies (about 2/3 through both Empire and Attack of the Clones) C3PO is seen talking without a body and retains his personality. The EU, especially the books, tends to lift things directly from the movies, and has had battle droids who speak after the head has been disconnected from the rest of the body. This indicates that the hardware that controls the sentience of the droids (both the processors and the memory) are located in the heads. Many of your arguments are that this game should follow lore, that is a piece of lore.

C3PO is far from a war droid so it does not needs to have its brain circuits protected at all.

Overheating comes from a couple of sources, but the one I think would be the most likely in this setting is that the processor draws enough electrical power to generate a large amount of heat (heat comes from power, Ohm's Law states that power is equal to voltage multiplied by current, or P=VI). This can be diminished, but not removed. If there is an electrical current, there will be heat generation. As you add components, including processors (which you certainly would need to do to achieve the level of AI seen in droids), you add either voltage or current requirements, depending on whether they are added in series with or parallel to the other components. Ohm's Law states that as voltage and current rise, so does power. Again, many of your arguments center around making the game more realistic. This is a law of physics.

If I may this is a law of physics limited to our knowledge of it. Don't you think in a such advanced civilization they might certainly find new physics laws? Look, in SW they can travel faster than the light. We're still looking for white holes. My take is in a SW setting you may not even require more than a light bulb power to feed a whole droid power need.

Droid heads have no ventilation, and air cooling would be insufficient anyway, therefore there must be liquid coolant lines, most likely connecting to tanks in the chest as that appears to be the only place on the droid bodies large enough to house coolant tanks.

Logically, using my knowledge of both electricity and Star Wars lore, Force Choke should be effective against droids.

That is if they have the same limitations and limited knowledge as we have. This is supposedly a way more advanced civilization. For example in the 70s the most advanced space ship had less power processing than a smart phone has 45 years later. Multiply that by a few thousands years and let your imagination take the lead... ok you can stop grinning and welcome back to earth ;)

Edited by Deewe

• 1 month later...