Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

10 reasons why Marauder is the weakest class in PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
10 reasons why Marauder is the weakest class in PvP

Furyofwar
03.03.2012 , 11:00 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Aarlis View Post
I really like my Mara he is fun to play, looks pretty cool and has 2 lightsabers. That being said Maras are the weakest PvP class in the game before 41ish and strugles alot before 50.

At 50 there are times when I feel like a killing machine and times I feel like free medals for the opisition. I often think that many on this form that constantly state how awesome Maras are tend to be sitting in full battlemasters gear rolling fresh 50s in premade groups.

I have not played all the classes yet but frm my understanding pretty much all classes do the same damage over time. This means that a Jug will do the same damage as a Mara which will do the same damage a Sorc over a timeperiod to a single target. IT seems that BW made the classes different in how the damage is delivered and utility. I also find it intersting that BW made 2 roles that are DPS only, Maras and snipers, where all others can fill different functions such as Jugg can be a tank or DPS depending on how the class is spec'd. This makes it seem like other classes can do so much more such as the Jug, you cant tell if you are geting to be going all out DPS to try chip at the tanks HPs or about to eat a 5k AE. You never have this issue with Maras, you know they will do damage at melee and take tons of damage, so very predictable.

All the people that keep saying l2p, well its a steep curve and a hard road. You have to be Johnny on the spot with your skills or your dead. Its not a forgivnig class on any level and I do think just about any other class is much easer and more forgiving.

I think the OP has valid points and I can see how it is fustrating. Will it change? Well Ill bet there are changes to every class in the first year of the game, sooner or latter some of our issues will be addressed. It may be better, it might not ever get better. In the end if you like the class play it and have fun, if you dont like to PvP with the class play something else.

To the peeps that enjoy repeating l2p all day long, go equip some cent pvp armor, pug a WZ, fight people that have 2-5k more HPs and take a vid of that. If its a skill issue none of yall would have issues owning peeps in less gear. After all Im sure most of yall have your compainions are geared out in Cent/Champ anyhow. Im sure yall have the spare com's sitting around.
Ok, I will make the video
EA Games 250K Best of the Battlefield Tournament Winner

AmedusTOR
03.03.2012 , 11:03 AM | #22
1. You forgot 300k, 75k healing (with Annihilation) and any Defender medals attainable. Its rare that I'm below 7 medals.

2. Its also rare that I'm not first or second. And if I'm not, I got beat by a class spamming AOE or by another Marauder.

3. I've stated this in other threads: we're a Warrior class. We've basically traded CC for defensive skills. (Saber Ward, Cloak of Pain, Undying Rage, etc) This aside, we do have a 6 second AE CC skill that you've conveniently forgotten about. Not to mention our slow skill that is on the global CD.

4. While this can suck in Huttball, we have a pretty awesome gap closer that can be brought down to a lower CD timer through the Annihilation tree. (Or if you spec Rage, you can get a second 10m gap closer on a similar CD timer)

5. Again, while this can suck, I hardly find it game breaking. Unleash has a lousy timer, but pretty much EVERY class only has one CC breaker. They're just as likely to suffer the woes of chain CC's as we are. So this is an irrelevant point.

6. Carnage has some decent roots. (Ravage and the light saber throw thing) But we don't really need anyone to be completely rooted. We have no skills aside from Ravage (which isn't really used for it's full duration in PVP unless you're Carnage) and Force Choke (which CC's them anyway) that require us to stand still. Slow them and we're fine. Again, another irrelevant point.

7. I don't find myself squishy at all. We have a 20% damage reduction, a 50% damage reduction, and a 99% damage reduction. Not to mention Force Camo which can also be a 100% damage reduction or root/slow breaker. (Depending on how you're specc'ed) I can win 1v2's more often than not.

8. Our damage is fine. You're doing it wrong.

9. We're the Kings of 1v1, yes. But we bring a lot of great buffs to a group setting. (And obfuscate, which makes life a lot easier on tanks and healers)

10. Again, we're far from fragile. You're simply regurgitating what you've already been QQing about in this point. Irrelevant yet again.

If you can't figure this class out after you've made four of the damned things, you're definitely doing something wrong. This isn't the class for you. Rather than tell you to L2P, I instead point you to the following link:

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/bounty-hunter

This is probably a little more your speed.

ultimatesjk
03.03.2012 , 11:39 AM | #23
^This^

Quote:
3. NO CC

what more do I need to say?
There are several CC abilities for Marauder. Force Choke, Force Crush, Force Charge, among many others that slow, immobilize, and stun.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Don't even try to play innocent with me. I know you stole my fries.

Morticoccus
03.03.2012 , 01:07 PM | #24
Just don't forget that the ideal attack on any KB able class is to close for the first strike on foot and then use leap as gap closer and/or to interrupt if your other interrupts are on CD.
When all is said and done we're not the only ones who look at life this way: That's what the Sith lords say.
And if they'd ever change as that reminds to say. But every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun. If I thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun.

Cruces
03.03.2012 , 03:35 PM | #25
LOL @ Marauder crying...

Try playing a IA: Operative as dps.
IA: Operative (dps) is a dead class.

There is not one single reason to take a dps IA: Operative in a PvE or PvP group that the Marauder can't fill as a much better class.
Or as a healer that another class do better.

IA: Operative is far below the bottom of all the other classes.

lupacob
03.03.2012 , 06:10 PM | #26
you would think someone with 4 marauders would have some sort of clue how to play one
Rainbow Glitter Unicorns
www.rgunicorns.guildportal.com
#1 pvp guild on Warriors of the Shadow

Brightbillatb
03.04.2012 , 02:37 AM | #27
Start watching some marauder videos or something... and everyone saying "have you tried annih" Every and I repeat EVERY talent tree is viable and good at lvl 50 pvp.. Hell im playing with a 13/15/13 spec just for funzies and im still wrecking.

My tips to you is do some research if you havent found a way to own on a mara yet.. Or it might just not be the class for you..

Skorched
03.04.2012 , 05:05 AM | #28
http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r..._49_423703.jpg

weakest class? try again. check the top score. i'm using annihilation spec. 520k dmg with 100k heals. this is typical for me.

iknoghostmagic
03.04.2012 , 12:22 PM | #29
cant tell if srs

CrazyAl
03.04.2012 , 12:30 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by iknoghostmagic View Post
cant tell if srs
he is, which makes it double sad
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers. -Thomas Jefferson
The key to decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. -Malcolm Gladwell
You can't be offended unless you are being defensive.