Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

10 reasons why Marauder is the weakest class in PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
10 reasons why Marauder is the weakest class in PvP

Karniel
03.03.2012 , 06:48 AM | #11
Guess Im just useless in pvp.. Sure I can take down most healers in a few seconds, but thats not worthwhile. We are probably one of the highest single target dps classes, but that doesnt matter either.. All that matters is getting lots of medals.. Medals = Skill and usefullness in pvp

Such a weak class we are /sarcasm off

I and I know others do not feel we are weak by far... But thank you for stating your opinion, But the fact is we aren't the weakest. Sorry.

BesterX
03.03.2012 , 06:57 AM | #12
Never had the feeling OP had with my marauder. Then again I was never carnage either. Both annihilation and rage are really good in PvP in my humble opinion (I think rage doesn't get the love it deserves at times). Annihilation feels more powerful but feels hard to play and master at times (more in PvE then in PvP). Rage is imo easier to play, harder to CC but doesn't perform as well damage wise (this is just my oppinion ofcourse). Maybe try a different spec and see how your char performs then, not all playstyles fit all the trees, obviously.

Aarlis
03.03.2012 , 07:35 AM | #13
I really like my Mara he is fun to play, looks pretty cool and has 2 lightsabers. That being said Maras are the weakest PvP class in the game before 41ish and strugles alot before 50.

At 50 there are times when I feel like a killing machine and times I feel like free medals for the opisition. I often think that many on this form that constantly state how awesome Maras are tend to be sitting in full battlemasters gear rolling fresh 50s in premade groups.

I have not played all the classes yet but frm my understanding pretty much all classes do the same damage over time. This means that a Jug will do the same damage as a Mara which will do the same damage a Sorc over a timeperiod to a single target. IT seems that BW made the classes different in how the damage is delivered and utility. I also find it intersting that BW made 2 roles that are DPS only, Maras and snipers, where all others can fill different functions such as Jugg can be a tank or DPS depending on how the class is spec'd. This makes it seem like other classes can do so much more such as the Jug, you cant tell if you are geting to be going all out DPS to try chip at the tanks HPs or about to eat a 5k AE. You never have this issue with Maras, you know they will do damage at melee and take tons of damage, so very predictable.

All the people that keep saying l2p, well its a steep curve and a hard road. You have to be Johnny on the spot with your skills or your dead. Its not a forgivnig class on any level and I do think just about any other class is much easer and more forgiving.

I think the OP has valid points and I can see how it is fustrating. Will it change? Well Ill bet there are changes to every class in the first year of the game, sooner or latter some of our issues will be addressed. It may be better, it might not ever get better. In the end if you like the class play it and have fun, if you dont like to PvP with the class play something else.

To the peeps that enjoy repeating l2p all day long, go equip some cent pvp armor, pug a WZ, fight people that have 2-5k more HPs and take a vid of that. If its a skill issue none of yall would have issues owning peeps in less gear. After all Im sure most of yall have your compainions are geared out in Cent/Champ anyhow. Im sure yall have the spare com's sitting around.

Spiderbubble
03.03.2012 , 07:42 AM | #14
Annihilation is such a strong spec that it's not even fair in a 1v1 situation. You're going to win. Period.

Who cares if they heal? You can interrupt so often that they get one instant ability every 6 seconds. Even against DPS it wrecks everything (tracer missile/grav round are pathetic against a 6 second CD interrupt that stops you from using that ability for 4 seconds.

Instant abilities can only be used ONCE every 6 seconds if specced in the Annihilation spec.

This is godly.

Carnage is a pile of dung, and as fun as it is, this cannot be denied.

Berserk gives you 18% of your max health back as Annihilation (and 6% to everyone in your party). It's also up about once every 20-30 seconds...

And people dare say that Carnage is viable.

Sure, Rage has some things going for it... as in it has some burst with some minor survivability. It still isn't worth using over Annihilation if your enemies have anywhere near a quarter of a brain. A good player can shut down Rage with a simple knockback right as you begin the Smash animation. You can anticipate all you want, but Juggs tend to screw you hard in this tree: they leap>push as you get ready to smash. They can be behind you where you can't see them, and still screw your combo over. Lag is a big problem when playing this tree as well, as it often causes your Smashes to appear to hit, when they really don't.

Morticoccus
03.03.2012 , 07:52 AM | #15
If you want "lots of medals" and the ability to move people around why don't you roll Powertech instead?

Free protection medals from just spamming taunt at people attacking your team and cashing in on the 30% damage reduction if the idiots are too busy attacking to notice you.

And in huttball you can drag people into environmental hazards and watch them burn for lots of fun.

I might even roll a vanguard just to see how many medals *I* can get by being incredibly cheap and abusing game mechanics.

Marauders in PvP are made for one thing: Melting face.
To this end you pick Annihilation spec, this gives you access to one, and empowers your other DOT to do ridiculous and hilarious things to people's facial structure.

Next, if you're not masochistic or just really really sure of yourself, you don't attack gunslingers or commandos, these guys have nifty-keen AOE knockback abilities that you don't want to get hit by, and can CC you out of your defensive CDs to boot.

Then you just hit your targets face with Battering assault, trigger either your deadly saber buff if you feel sure that they won't insta-stun you or root, or your cheap, two rage DOT with talented slow if you think they will, and the rest of the combo basically flows from that, if they hit you away and/or start channeling something, show them the error of their ways with force leap for a gap closer with built in root and interrupt.

After applying both DOTs you can just hang them like a pinăta and watch their face drip to the floor, melted.
When all is said and done we're not the only ones who look at life this way: That's what the Sith lords say.
And if they'd ever change as that reminds to say. But every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun. If I thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun.

BesterX
03.03.2012 , 08:06 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Spiderbubble View Post
Sure, Rage has some things going for it... as in it has some burst with some minor survivability. It still isn't worth using over Annihilation if your enemies have anywhere near a quarter of a brain. A good player can shut down Rage with a simple knockback right as you begin the Smash animation. You can anticipate all you want, but Juggs tend to screw you hard in this tree: they leap>push as you get ready to smash. They can be behind you where you can't see them, and still screw your combo over. Lag is a big problem when playing this tree as well, as it often causes your Smashes to appear to hit, when they really don't.
I agree, and while annihilation is superior in almost every aspect, rage still has two things that OP might find interesting (Imo) -- it's less gear dependant (it also seem to scale worse with better gear too) so it still performs some goodish burst even with not as good gear, and it's much easier to play. I am not advertising rage though, annihilation is bread and butter for PvP, I was trying to say that even the weaker of the trees still performs "good enough" in PvP, and even rage marauders aren't "weakest in PvP".

Morticoccus
03.03.2012 , 08:22 AM | #17
The cool thing with annihilation isn't the burst, it's the sustained DPS.

Even if Joe Mcnormalcommando knocks you back, you will still be melting his face, albeit slower, until you catch up to him again.
When all is said and done we're not the only ones who look at life this way: That's what the Sith lords say.
And if they'd ever change as that reminds to say. But every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun. If I thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun.

ocping
03.03.2012 , 08:27 AM | #18
Not sure if trolling or serious.

If anything marauders need some nerfs.

One of the (if not THE) highest single DPS classes ingame, with an offensive charge, rage-based mechanic (no worries of running out of resource), 99% reduction CD (sure it's 50% of your current HP but it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out when to use it), bleed heals, vanish.

Zunayson
03.03.2012 , 09:27 AM | #19
In regards to number 4, you are great. You are the only class who can go through fire (Force Camo and Unending Rage, amirite?).

The 6 second mezz is technically CC. It's not an in combat stun, because it is in fact CC, used for CONTROLLING CROWDS to only need to kill 1 person at a time.

Your fury thingy allows you to run faster, deal more damage (And heal yourself if you're annihilation), and do moar damage and healing to the party.

Marauds have great utility, man.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

Furyofwar
03.03.2012 , 10:44 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Aarlis View Post
I really like my Mara he is fun to play, looks pretty cool and has 2 lightsabers. That being said Maras are the weakest PvP class in the game before 41ish and strugles alot before 50.

At 50 there are times when I feel like a killing machine and times I feel like free medals for the opisition. I often think that many on this form that constantly state how awesome Maras are tend to be sitting in full battlemasters gear rolling fresh 50s in premade groups.

I have not played all the classes yet but frm my understanding pretty much all classes do the same damage over time. This means that a Jug will do the same damage as a Mara which will do the same damage a Sorc over a timeperiod to a single target. IT seems that BW made the classes different in how the damage is delivered and utility. I also find it intersting that BW made 2 roles that are DPS only, Maras and snipers, where all others can fill different functions such as Jugg can be a tank or DPS depending on how the class is spec'd. This makes it seem like other classes can do so much more such as the Jug, you cant tell if you are geting to be going all out DPS to try chip at the tanks HPs or about to eat a 5k AE. You never have this issue with Maras, you know they will do damage at melee and take tons of damage, so very predictable.

All the people that keep saying l2p, well its a steep curve and a hard road. You have to be Johnny on the spot with your skills or your dead. Its not a forgivnig class on any level and I do think just about any other class is much easer and more forgiving.

I think the OP has valid points and I can see how it is fustrating. Will it change? Well Ill bet there are changes to every class in the first year of the game, sooner or latter some of our issues will be addressed. It may be better, it might not ever get better. In the end if you like the class play it and have fun, if you dont like to PvP with the class play something else.

To the peeps that enjoy repeating l2p all day long, go equip some cent pvp armor, pug a WZ, fight people that have 2-5k more HPs and take a vid of that. If its a skill issue none of yall would have issues owning peeps in less gear. After all Im sure most of yall have your compainions are geared out in Cent/Champ anyhow. Im sure yall have the spare com's sitting around.
Ok, I will make the video
EA Games 250K Best of the Battlefield Tournament Winner