Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Monoth
03.02.2012 , 05:31 PM | #21
If and when Bioware adds Same sex romance I wouldn't expect a huge choice of companions to hook up with.... My BH only has one option and thats Mako....

People thinking that Bioware is going to let them flirt with EVERYONE of your companions is going to be very disappointed....

Odds are gay romance options won't happen until the first expansion when they introduce some new companions and given what I've seen so far with the existing romance options your probably only going to get 1 bi-sexual companion to flirt with per class... So those thinking Bioware is going to put in some elaborate romance system were you can seduce anyone on your ship including the original 5 companions is dreaming...
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Lurkz
03.02.2012 , 05:36 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
If and when Bioware adds Same sex romance I wouldn't expect a huge choice of companions to hook up with.... My BH only has one option and thats Mako....

People thinking that Bioware is going to let them flirt with EVERYONE of your companions is going to be very disappointed....
No one's asking for that? We just want to be able to flirt with the current romance options that are of the same gender.

Quote:
Odds are gay romance options won't happen until the first expansion when they introduce some new companions and given what I've seen so far with the existing romance options your probably only going to get 1 bi-sexual companion to flirt with per class... So those thinking Bioware is going to put in some elaborate romance system were you can seduce anyone on your ship including the original 5 companions is dreaming...
We don't know when they're implementing it, that's the point of this thread. For the second half of your paragraph, see above response.
The Nightborn Legacy - Ebon Hawk - Aquillian Rangers
Captain Jaxx - Gunslinger || Caiden - Jedi Sentinel

...Holospectrum...

DarthEpitaph
03.02.2012 , 06:01 PM | #23
This is a popular theme ("the toggle") and although it has been hashed to death here I am going to hash it some more. This is meant as a general response to everyone who wants a toggle.

What people are saying, by wanting a toggle, is that same-gender romance is so awful, so icky, so destructive, that they need a way for it to be hidden.

By requesting a toggle, they are explicitly stating that they believe that same-gender romance is a greater evil than: lying, stealing, betrayal of trust, slavery, torture, torture for pleasure, poisoning someone, poisoning many people at once, murder, mass murder, murder for hire, genocide, etc. All of these choices are in the game right now, with no way to avoid seeing them.

That is why the toggle idea is offensive.

There are three major fallacies brought up by the pro-toggle crowd I'd like to address.

1. Just toggle all romance
Opposite-gender romance is already part of the game without a toggle. As others have said here, wanting to toggle all romance is just a way to ask for a toggle for SGRAs while maintaining a veneer of respectability. No one wanted a romance toggle prior to the SGRA debate. Asking for one now betrays the fact that you don't want SGRAs, and think that this is an acceptable way to say so.

2. You're putting your social issues into the game
Asking for both types of romance to be dealt with in the exact same way is not pushing anyone's agenda. Opposite gender romance is in the game. Same gender romance would merely level the playing field. I would argue that asking for it to be hidden once it is implemented is the real example of forcing your social morality into the game.

3. It doesn't belong in Star Wars
Not only are there previous examples of such relationships in Star Wars, it would not matter if there weren't. This game has every right to add to existing Star Wars canon, and has done so liberally, just as it's predecessors have done. One variant of this is the "no romance belongs in Star Wars", which is a ridiculous statement on it's own, and for which I refer you to #1.

I doubt this will convince anyone to change sides. For what it is worth, I suggested at one point what was effectively a toggle, and while it was primarily for storyline reasons rather than "hide it from the phobics" reasons, the discussion here has shown me why that is not a good idea, and I no longer support any sort of toggle.

TL;DR: Asking for a toggle is offensive. I have yet to see a rational reason why same-gender romance should be handled any differently than the currently implemented opposite-gender romance.

Monoth
03.02.2012 , 06:02 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Lurkz View Post
No one's asking for that? We just want to be able to flirt with the current romance options that are of the same gender.
I just don't see Bioware going through the expense and time to redo existing content to appease and lets be honest a smaller portion of the player base....

Plus you "might" have to deal with some of the original actors who don't want their voices used in a gay romance situation.... Now with new companions Bioware can find actors who have no issue with this...

So like I said, I wouldn't expect anything until the first expansion....

But like you said it's all speculation for now... but thats my best guess based on what I know....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Rayla_Felana
03.02.2012 , 06:12 PM | #25
I just don't see Bioware going through the expense and time to redo existing content to appease and lets be honest a smaller portion of the player base....
So LGBT Gamers are a 'smaller portion' of a BIOWARE gaming community? please.
Also, you are assuming, wrongly, that only LGBT gamers would use this content, many other groups would to.

Plus you "might" have to deal with some of the original actors who don't want their voices used in a gay romance situation.... Now with new companions Bioware can find actors who have no issue with this...
Really? ...really?

Stephen Reid stated otherwise.

MoogleNut
03.02.2012 , 06:13 PM | #26

So the voice actors who have previously and proudly played non-hetero characters in previous Bioware games and other forms of entertainment, won't want to do same gendered dialogue now?

Riiight.

Suaine
03.02.2012 , 06:13 PM | #27
As has been said many times before, the people wanting SGRAs are probably more than you think. If I had to guess, I'd say we outnumber raiders.

Quote:
Please, that's a strawman argument if I've ever seen one. Actors are professionals, and voice actors for video games are hardly high enough on the fame ladder to be divas about anything. They like to be paid so they'll do the work and do it gladly.

Quote:

But like you said it's all speculation for now... but thats my best guess based on what I know....
You could be right about that, no one really knows. But if they do intend to make me pay extra, give me less content and make me wait a year or more for it? I won't be around to see it. As much as I love the game, that's just not right.
We have to create the future, or others will do it for us. We have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will?
~ Susan Ivanova, Anla-shok Na, space bisexual

Uluain
03.02.2012 , 06:21 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Anyway, that aside, good to see we're all still here and going for the fourth thread. Looking forward to today's Q&A (though it's usually up by this time, isnt it?), ready to celebrate if we get an answer or post my question again if we don't. Here's hoping.
It varies. It has been up earlier or later from week to week. But it is getting on toward 6:30 in Austin, so I imagine it will be along any time now.

Monoth
03.02.2012 , 06:23 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
So LGBT Gamers are a 'smaller portion' of a BIOWARE gaming community? please.
Also, you are assuming, wrongly, that only LGBT gamers would use this content, many other groups would to.

Really? ...really?

Stephen Reid stated otherwise.

If you think otherwise then how come LGBT content was not put in at the beginning of the game? Would of been easier to do it at that time then try and come back later and put it in.....

The FACT that bioware did not put it in tells me they feel it does represent a smaller portion of their player base... Odds are EA or Lucasarts also had reservations of adding such content or Bioware was affraid of backlash by adding in such content on a huge IP and didn't want it to affect their sales...

Anyway you slice it, Bioware could of easily included same sex romances when the game launch but they CHOOSE not to do it...

I personally have no issue with such content in the game, but to stick your head in the sand and pretend that none of my explanations are valid is just living in a bubble...

Lurkz
03.02.2012 , 06:25 PM | #30
If you think otherwise then how come LGBT content was not put in at the beginning of the game? Would of been easier to do it at that time then try and come back later and put it in.....

The FACT that bioware did not put it in tells me they feel it does represent a smaller portion of their player base... Odds are EA or Lucasarts also had reservations of adding such content or Bioware was affraid of backlash by adding in such content on a huge IP and didn't want it to affect their sales...

Anyway you slice it, Bioware could of easily included same sex romances when the game launch but they CHOOSE not to do it...

I personally have no issue with such content in the game, but to stick your head in the sand and pretend that none of my explanations are valid is just living in a bubble...
We don't know why it wasn't included but it appears to have been because LucasArts wouldn't permit it initially. So they may have just not had the time to get it completed and in for launch.

Also, SR has stated that BW knows this ISN'T just some small part of the community. I think it's time to dig back up the SR quotes... we really need to start getting all of them up on the front page of each new thread.
The Nightborn Legacy - Ebon Hawk - Aquillian Rangers
Captain Jaxx - Gunslinger || Caiden - Jedi Sentinel

...Holospectrum...