Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Nozybidaj
03.02.2012 , 04:19 PM | #11
Would be nice if folks could make a better attempt not to engage the trolls this time around, though I know it will inevitably happen. /shrug

Well, everyone get your question ready to post in the new Q&A thread. Copy this one if you don't feel eloquent:

"With Bioware Co-Founder Ray Muzyka's recent interview comments that same gender romances are "part of the expectation of a Bioware game", what is the current status of this content being implemented into SW:TOR, how is it being implemented (either all new companions or including existing romance options), and what is the expected timetable for implementation?"

I think we should also petition the mods that when they post that 6 month old quote about including same gender romance content that they should also have to include the quotes from Ray and Greg about the expectations of a Bioware game.

Nozybidaj
03.02.2012 , 04:29 PM | #12
Just copying this over from the SG Flirts thread, as it is applicable here as well after seeing the last couple pages of the previous thread.

I can see now why the mods closed the toggle thread. To choke up all the same gender content threads with useless discussion. Where as before we could at least actually discuss the topics of the threads around the noise and have a bit of unification in the voices requesting this content, now it is all side discussion from pro-toggle people about the offensiveness of the content and how selfish people are even for asking for it.

I can't help but wonder if that was the intention of the mods all along for closing that thread, to help drown out the GLBT community on the forum. If it was it is certainly working.

Cythereal
03.02.2012 , 04:31 PM | #13
Rolling this out preemptively.

Quote: Originally Posted by sparklecat
Person A: Why are you asking for this content, it's not even in Star Wars canonically!

Person B: Yes it is, you'll find examples here and here.

A: ...Is that it? Well, that's almost nothing and it doesn't really count, anyway. Besides, it doesn't matter if it's canon or not, what matters is that this issue isn't at all important next to all the other problems. The focus should be on fixing the game first.

B: Have we mentioned that it's different teams handling bugfixes to content updates?

A: Well, what makes your request so much more important than everyone else's? Why should, like, the 5% of the players who want this content be given priority over everything else which will appeal to a much larger percentage? How arrogant do you have to be to demand you should get what you want before they do?

B: First of all, we're not demanding immediate implementation, nor that everything else be put on hold so SGRAs can be developed first. We're asking for information on roughly when it's expected and how it might be implemented, because that affects how we play our characters right now. Secondly, MMOs in general have a wide range of features to appeal to different groups, some quite niche, all of whom naturally focus their requests and questions on what interests them, without adding caveats to the tune of "but this other group I'm not at all interested in has some things they want too, please put those in as well!"

A: What do you need more information for, anyway? The game's barely been launched, and lots of people aren't getting their questions answered. Bioware isn't under any obligation to answer your questions, so stop asking.

B: Bioware's customer service has encouraged us to continue asking and providing feedback. As well, the last we've heard on the subject was roughly five months ago; we don't need every possible detail, but any sort of update would help with what's really become the biggest issue here - that we're feeling ignored.

A: Just because they're not answering you doesn't mean there's some sort of anti-gay conspiracy. You know, you're turning off a lot of people who might otherwise support you with your conspiracy theories and "Help, help, I'm being repressed!" refrain.

B: Forgive those of us who are a little sensitive to the possibility that we're encountering prejudice; a necessary hazard when you're dealing with any minority group that *has* encountered such, I'm afraid. But the point is, we've encountered some very bad customer service - not from the individual customer service representatives, who are lovely people and are restricted in what they can say, but from the developers, in not addressing something that has a significant impact on people's games and their ability to play their characters. Even to say "we're still planning to include this/it's currently under development/we don't anticipate this will be in for some time" would be better than complete silence.

A: Why even bother still asking, then, if it doesn't do any good? You're spamming the Q&A thread with it, and it's getting annoying. Just leave if you're so unhappy.

B: Some have. Others have their own reasons for staying, too many to go into in one hypothetical conversation. But as I said, we've been encouraged to continue asking, and I for one intend to continue doing so, because I've got a lot of fondness for Bioware and am enjoying the game, this aside. I just think they're making a bad choice in remaining silent, and that the best thing I can do is apply pressure to try and change their mind. No customer deserves to be ignored when it comes to something they were promised and want some information on.

Did I hit all the major points?

Oh, right.

A: What about a tog-

B:

MoogleNut
03.02.2012 , 04:32 PM | #14
Yay another new home

What's the move-speed now? Once a fortnight or so? Reminds me of my youth hehe.

Anyhoo, this is actually the first week I haven't ben stressing to muchh about the Q&A - Mass Effect 3 pre-order woes (Gamestation boo! Play.com to the rescue yay! )and shiney smexy new launch trailer (seriously, epic is not the word ) has kept me relatively busy.

As a general SWTOR relationship thought, I've found it a real shame that the friend/rivalry system from DA2 hasn't been used here. I understand it would no doubt be a lot more work for the writers/coders, but would have been a nice feature.

I really loved the fact that we could change the comapnions' outlook over the course of the game, Isabela's rival-romance is the most satisfying for me - despite the constant taunts about my Hawke's hair hehe.

From a characterisation point of view I think it was far more realistic than the usual 'love the hero no matter what' approach. Bastila denouncing my female Revan (LOVE that mod, and thanks to Bioware for letting us use it) for going darkside on a vendor then snogging her face off as soon as they got back to the ship, while immensely amusing, was less satsifying than showing a previously selfish/irresponisble pirate queen that she really could be a good person. (That and I can just imagine how Isabela falling for the selfless yet snarky knight in shining armour that was LadyHawke would drive her nuts )

Even, suggested by a previous poster, the occasional 'Why the heck did you do that?' type of comment from our companions would go a long way to breathing a little more lif into the relationships, platonic or otherwise.

Aaand that's my brain drained for the day

Nozybidaj
03.02.2012 , 04:33 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Cythereal View Post
I appreciate the effort, but the people trolling and disrupting the threads don't actually care about the answers, they simply want to disrupt the thread for nothing but the sake of doing so.

It is best if everyone would simply not reply to them. They'll eventually loose interest and stop if we do so.

emusan
03.02.2012 , 04:40 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
It is best if everyone would simply not reply to them. They'll eventually loose interest and stop if we do so.
If you do feel the need to reply, the best thing to do would be copypaste something like the following(could be edited to add more links, etc.):
Hello, this topic has been brought up in the past. Please read through these threads here and here first. If you still believe you have something constructive to add to the discussion then by all means do so, but don't expect a response if it has been brought up before.

Thanks
Also remember, for the nastier trolls: flag, don't fight!

EDIT: lol apparently the code tags didn't do what I thought...

Xeres_Ajani
03.02.2012 , 04:41 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Cythereal View Post
hope you don't mind i snagged the sparkle cat quote and tossed it on the first page xD

Suaine
03.02.2012 , 04:54 PM | #18
It may be a good time to remind people - try not to get into fights on the Q&A discussion thread, even if it's tempting. People are probably going to call us out again, but there's really not much point in arguing anymore.
We have to create the future, or others will do it for us. We have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will?
~ Susan Ivanova, Anla-shok Na, space bisexual

sparklecat
03.02.2012 , 05:03 PM | #19
Ok I'm not sure how to say this without sounding petty and unappreciative, because it makes me happy that you guys are quoting my post! But you're also getting the smiley at the end wrong, which is being wrong, and that makes me sad and upset

(it is the smiley if you were wondering and yes I am a little strange sometimes, I'm so sorry)

Nozybidaj
03.02.2012 , 05:11 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Suaine View Post
It may be a good time to remind people - try not to get into fights on the Q&A discussion thread, even if it's tempting. People are probably going to call us out again, but there's really not much point in arguing anymore.
I agree there isn't much point to arguing, but if you are going to doing it anyway, doing it there is better than doing it here at least.