Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

collector's edition security keyring

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
collector's edition security keyring

Britishbulldog
12.16.2011 , 05:41 AM | #1
I would like to use a security key but i dont have faith i will remeber it. I thought the key ring was for that purpose but the code changes every 3 time you press it. I just wanted to check if it was surposed to do that. If so i will have to write a code down and hope i dont lose it.

Darkrunner
12.16.2011 , 05:43 AM | #2
it constantly changes to prevent the code being hacked...that's what it is designed to do

Kolreth
12.16.2011 , 05:43 AM | #3
You get a different code from it each time you log in.

SithEater
12.16.2011 , 05:43 AM | #4
It changes all the time. No point in writing it down, every time you go to log in you hit the button and then input the code.
Grand Master of the Sword in Box Form of Lightsaber Combat.

Britishbulldog
12.16.2011 , 05:44 AM | #5
ah ok so thats how it works cool. what heppends when the battrey runs out ?

mackanz
12.16.2011 , 05:46 AM | #6
It wont run out for many, many years, or you just get a new one. By then, you will have the same thing on your phone anyway.

Heappestre
12.16.2011 , 05:49 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Britishbulldog View Post
ah ok so thats how it works cool. what heppends when the battrey runs out ?
I had one of these type for work. That one showed the code all the time. It lasted well over 4 years. This one switches off between uses, so I'd expect it to last a lot longer than that.
Spelling isn't my strong point.

Darkrunner
12.16.2011 , 05:51 AM | #8
If for some reason you lose it, battery dies, dog eats it, etc. You can probably call up bioware, give them your personal info(security questions, dob, address, etc) and they can remove the authenticator from the account. At least that's how it was on WoW, and I would assume they have something similiar.

blackadda
12.16.2011 , 05:52 AM | #9
Yeppers , works just like an RSA token.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecurID

The code on your keyfob is generated based on an algorithm which produces a predictable number...
Once you know 2 numbers in sequence, you can accurately predict what the next one will be...

The codes arent "random", but nor is the number produced by the "random" key on a calculator, thats predictable too...

What matters is they are pretty secure when tied to a login/password... and as a user... all you need to do is type in the number shown on the keyfob

Britishbulldog
12.16.2011 , 05:53 AM | #10
sweet thanks for the reassurance