Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Xalek as a tank?

03.01.2012 , 09:12 PM | #1
I am lvl 46 and got Xalek. I rushed class quests to get him. I put on the best gear I could find at AH and PVP doublebladed-lighsaber on him..

Now I am back to Belsavis trying him. First mob 10Khp, I sent him and start dpsing as usual. He nearly dies. I am surprised at how fragile he is as a tank. Is he supposed to be tougher later on? Am I missing something?

03.01.2012 , 11:31 PM | #2
I might not be using him correctly myself but I have noticed the Khem tanks better as well. I seem to think that X is a cross of tank and dps, but eh, if I need one role I would not use him as a tank, at least until I know how to use him better. lol
To the world you might be just one person, but to one person you might be the world. \m/
Names: Cyyn, Ouija Guild: Obscurum Cado Server: Tarro Blood
Names: Cyyn, Ouijja Guild: AST Server: Port Nowhere

03.02.2012 , 05:31 AM | #3
Xalek is more melee DPS, but you can equip him with gear so he might become better with tanking.

03.02.2012 , 05:35 AM | #4
With equal gear Khem is just better, slightly more hp, less squishy and slightly more threat, overall better tank. Xalek just has more dps, so he is more useful for quick fights, where you just want to burns things down.
Vors, sith assassin of Guild Grievance

03.02.2012 , 05:40 AM | #5
from the info page I found on companions, it says: tank/dps, which leads me to believe that he is a sorcerer companion more than assassin. Khem Val takes less damage, but does less damage too. So, as a sorcerer healer, if you want the mobs to die faster and don't care that the companion takes slightly more damage, use Xalek, since he also has taunt and "wither" ability, he can tank just fine and do decent dps at the same time, a jack of 2 traits, master of none, you can say. While Khem masters tanking and is crap at everything else.

But, my guess that Xalek is like assassin tank. without very good gar, he won't last long (light armor n all that).
Gagota Class: Arsenal Mercenary
Member Of
Dark Brotherhood
Server: Tomb Of Freedon nadd EU

03.02.2012 , 07:01 AM | #6
Xalek = Group tanking.

Khem = Single target tanking.

I would also like to point out that Xalek fully geared is just stupidly good with an assassin, and of course the more mobs the more he heals for.
" The Pinnacle Of Sith "
Ahashra Vitriarius | Sith Master

03.02.2012 , 07:56 AM | #7
I havent used Khem since the day i got Xalek. With the appropriate gear, he makes a fine tank. Make sure he's in his 'shield' stance, as that makes a HUGE difference. Sometimes this gets turned off when he comes out and you wont notice it until he's almost dead! Load him up with defense gear and endurance, and he'll be fine. I appreciate how quickly he establishes threat, while Khem had to back up, then run in, THEN drop his AoE. Xalek leaps in there and aoe's with his initial landing.

All that being said, at level 50, I almost never pull out a tank companion anymore, and instead use Ashara to just kill stuff before it ever gets to me.
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

03.02.2012 , 10:34 AM | #8
Xaleks shield rating/absorb rating is broken.

Khem is a way better tank since his shield rating and absorb rating work.

03.02.2012 , 11:41 AM | #9
Actually, with testing, Xalek and Khem do almost identical dps in their tank stances. And in their dps stances, Khem is clearly superior. As fat as mitigation, Khem is superior in flat mitigation, however when/if Xalek's SR is fixed, he will have better avoidance.

Xalek has a single advantage, his "charge" is faster and there is no delay in his use of his PBAoE attack.
Stupid should be painful.
Thorns shall not bar my path, I am the Thornwalker.

03.02.2012 , 12:32 PM | #10
Thanks for comments. I have Xalek's shield up. I am getting used to his squishy nature.

Ashara has been another disappointing companion for me. Andronikos seems much better at dps and seems to take less dmg. I've been using them both for quite a while now and if I want to quickly burn down groups I actually go with Andronikos.

Khem is still my go to guy for single elite/champion tanking. Xalek does not make sense if the fight is going to be close.

It's a weird situation right now that I am trying to figure out how to use them in fights... If there are, say 4 mobs, that have about 3K HP, I can easily take them down in two Force Storms. In such cases Andronikos provides the additional dps (There are no dps-meters but when I look at the flying numbers they are putting out in similar gear levels, that's what I see).

If once of them has higher HP and will not die with Force Storm then it becomes a challenge b/c neither Andronikos nor Ashara can keep that mob on them. I can see how Xalek could be useful in such a case. Do you folks have a different view on that?

I guess one last question is which ability options you choose for them?

Xalek: Force Bomb | Consume Essence | Force Conduit = Off, everything else on.

The reason I have consume Essence off is I thought it broke my CC (when fighting groups with a higher HP on the side that I CC)

Andronikos: I have all abilities turned on. Depending on single target or group, I choose "Sniper Mode" | "Assault Mode"

Ashara: All abilities are on except "Exsanguination". To be honest I am not sure if "Perforation" is better dps. Thoughts?