Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Desktop Hardware Q&A

Drylan_Stryker
12.23.2011 , 10:02 PM | #281
Ok thanks you

~The Progenitor~ ~The Dawry Legacy~
+Your Journey is What YOU Make It+

Chapelcloth
12.23.2011 , 10:02 PM | #282
I am running 2 sli 8800gts with a 8800gt dedicated for physics. I have a solid state HD for Win7 and a seperate striped array running 2 10,000rpm 16mb cache HD's and a separate single 10,000rpm drive for a swap file. CPU is a quad 2.4 intel with 6gigs of ram.

My problem is I can have the game on high graphics running 1280 by 1024, with no shadows. It runs good. Draw distance is maxed etc. having shadows causes me lag. When I preview an item from the store or just my toon in general it looks "muddy". Story line quests look good when they are talking. It is just when I am running around. It just seems to me the graphics should have more "pop". Is my graphic cards getting old? I ran a test to see if I could run the new batman and it was saying I needed better graphic cards. Is it time to upgrade? If so should I rip out all three cards and go with one big power house?

What card should I go with? I have liked nvidia for a long time. Thanks for the input.

Shamiez
12.23.2011 , 10:15 PM | #283
Quote: Originally Posted by Chapelcloth View Post
I am running 2 sli 8800gts with a 8800gt dedicated for physics. I have a solid state HD for Win7 and a seperate striped array running 2 10,000rpm 16mb cache HD's and a separate single 10,000rpm drive for a swap file. CPU is a quad 2.4 intel with 6gigs of ram.

My problem is I can have the game on high graphics running 1280 by 1024, with no shadows. It runs good. Draw distance is maxed etc. having shadows causes me lag. When I preview an item from the store or just my toon in general it looks "muddy". Story line quests look good when they are talking. It is just when I am running around. It just seems to me the graphics should have more "pop". Is my graphic cards getting old? I ran a test to see if I could run the new batman and it was saying I needed better graphic cards. Is it time to upgrade? If so should I rip out all three cards and go with one big power house?

What card should I go with? I have liked nvidia for a long time. Thanks for the input.
What's your budget? Apparently from what I've read, SWTOR doesn't utilize SLI, some say it works great others say they only get the power from one card.
Haitus Sith Marauder
The Crucible Pits - PvP

BattousaiMaximus
12.23.2011 , 10:16 PM | #284
I need to upgrade my video card but I have a laptop I know its a crapshoot really to find one but any suggestions? Its a Toshiba Sattelite C655
From the Taoist point of view, sourness and bitterness come from the interfering and unappreciative mind. Life itself, when understood and utilized for what it is, is sweet. That is the message of "The Vinegar Tasters".
—Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Vandexel
12.23.2011 , 10:17 PM | #285
Im getting a new computer, want to know what settings / fps level it will be able to run
http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/conte...l/PT.GCRP2.002
someone please tellme im getting mixed asnwers and im worried

SenseiGoju
12.23.2011 , 10:20 PM | #286
Currently running on x2 560 ti...and I want my graphics to match up to the screenshots, I should have no issue with that. I'm running nvidia inspector and I have AA on 8x super sampling on 4 and Anisotropic filtering on Off(Linear) and LOD on allow, I'm sitting on 60-80 FPS with all ingame graphic settings on HIGH. I want the graphics to look like the screenshots, in the screenshots they look really smooth and the texture is great.

Chapelcloth
12.23.2011 , 10:24 PM | #287
Quote: Originally Posted by Shamiez View Post
What's your budget? Apparently from what I've read, SWTOR doesn't utilize SLI, some say it works great others say they only get the power from one card.
I am one of those people that will spend big bucks so I don't have to jack with it again for 4 or 5 years. My pc now is that old. I of course put win 7 on it when it came out. So if it costs me 500 bucks for the best then so be it. My main goal is I want everything I can get visually from this game with no lag and no "late" rendering. Meaning I don't want to see muddy graphics in a quest then the "real" armor shows up a sec later.

Can the armor in game when not in a voice over look as good as it does during the movie voice overs? I want to preview the battle master armor and be wowed. Right now it's just muddy

Shamiez
12.23.2011 , 10:41 PM | #288
Quote: Originally Posted by Chapelcloth View Post
I am one of those people that will spend big bucks so I don't have to jack with it again for 4 or 5 years. My pc now is that old. I of course put win 7 on it when it came out. So if it costs me 500 bucks for the best then so be it. My main goal is I want everything I can get visually from this game with no lag and no "late" rendering. Meaning I don't want to see muddy graphics in a quest then the "real" armor shows up a sec later.

Can the armor in game when not in a voice over look as good as it does during the movie voice overs? I want to preview the battle master armor and be wowed. Right now it's just muddy
If you want to upgrade the CPU and GPU, an i5 2500k Sandy Bridge is a great, easily overclockable processor that performs as well as any processor for gaming when overclocked, and it's stock speed is much more than enough for this game. That and an either GTX 570 (Which would add to about 500$) would be enough to run this game at everything maxed, always over 60 fps. You have two bigger and better options in the GTX 580 which is $500, or the GTX 590, all three being serious overkill for this game, but they should last for quite some time, especially if you go with the GTX 580 or GTX 590. Both are pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for, and with the 2500k, with air cooling you can push over 4 gHz, I use to have one myself.
So TL;DR the 570 is a very viable option especially for TOR, but the 580 ($500) will last longer in the future generations to come.
Haitus Sith Marauder
The Crucible Pits - PvP

BattousaiMaximus
12.23.2011 , 10:56 PM | #289
So if I want to build a new tower for say under $600 but still want to be able to play TOR what are some good suggestions?
From the Taoist point of view, sourness and bitterness come from the interfering and unappreciative mind. Life itself, when understood and utilized for what it is, is sweet. That is the message of "The Vinegar Tasters".
—Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

gottabkd
12.24.2011 , 12:15 AM | #290
Hi, Currently I am running 2x Radeon 4870 HD's with a crossfire connection setup. Ever since i set up this connection, the in-game graphics appear with fine lines all across the screen. If I move my mouse around and set it to a certain view, the screen clears up but otherwise i have to play with lines all across my screen. Originally I only had 1 video card in-place and the game was running perfectly fine, however since i got a second card and setup the crossfire connection, the graphics have gotten better but the lines seem to appear everywhere.

The lines across the screen are not present 100% of the time. In some places the game runs perfectly fine, however on most planets and such the graphics appear with lines all across.

Is there a setting or something that I should change or is a crossfire connection not compatible with this game?